Switching from Non-O based on Marriage to 1 Year Multiple Entry Non-O

I have not found this exact topic yet so I am starting a new thread.

I have been in Thailand for just over 4 years now and I obtained a Non-O based on marriage shortly after arriving and have been renewing it each year without any trouble, BUT  in a few months, when it is time to renew again, I want to get a 1 Year Multiple Entry Non-O visa. I have several reasons for wanting to do this.

My question is - has anyone else done this and is there anything that I need to be aware of when doing this that might cause me problems?

I am thinking I can just leave the country close to my current visa expiration date ( Should I notify immigration that I am leaving? So not to void my current visa? ). I was thinking of heading to Savannakhet and getting the Multiple Entry Non-O good for 1 year and then come back in to Thailand and do 90 day border runs there after. 

And if I wanted to switch back to the Non-O based on marriage, it should be possible at anytime as long as I am in Thailand on a Non-O and have all the proper documents - Correct?

Thanks all for your experience and knowledge.

Sounds like you are on an extension of stay based on marriage.  You are not on a visa entry. 

You can leave whenever you like and apply for a multi non-O (marriage).  Leaving the country without a re-entry permit will snuff out your extension.  No need to tell immigration anything. 

And when you want to go back to an extension of stay you can do so within the last 30 (maybe 45) days of any 90 day entry on your non-O. 

• Like 2

Pardon my ignorance, but I've been reading as much as I can about this "extension of stay" based on marriage and am wondering what the requirements are, other than being married and having a valid Non-O visa?

Is there a financial requirement?

If I leave the Kingdom, and my Non-O visa has expired, but my extension of stay is still valid, does it invalidate my EoS, thereby forcing me to renew my Non-O?

I would very much like to stop doing these border bounces, but I still want to be able to leave the country without too much headache.

Is Permanent Residency an option and what's required?

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Saltycanuck said:

Pardon my ignorance, but I've been reading as much as I can about this "extension of stay" based on marriage and am wondering what the requirements are, other than being married and having a valid Non-O visa?

Is there a financial requirement?

If I leave the Kingdom, and my Non-O visa has expired, but my extension of stay is still valid, does it invalidate my EoS, thereby forcing me to renew my Non-O?

I would very much like to stop doing these border bounces, but I still want to be able to leave the country without too much headache.

Is Permanent Residency an option and what's required?

Thank you.

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage.

General list of required documents and etc is here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Once you get the one year extension stamp you would need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid if you want to travel. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht or a multiple 3800 baht.

To apply for permanent residency you would need to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years on extensions of stay.

17 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income to apply for the extension of stay based upon marriage.

General list of required documents and etc is here. Marriage Extension Requirements.pdf

Once you get the one year extension stamp you would need to get a re-entry permit to keep it valid if you want to travel. A single re-entry permit costs 1000 baht or a multiple 3800 baht.

To apply for permanent residency you would need to be working with a work permit and paying taxes for 3 years on extensions of stay.

Great, thanks for the fast reply and concise information.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Hey Joe, slightly off the topic, but am leaving Thailand on Sunday for a week and am on an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai, therefore I will be seeking a single re-entry visa.

My question is, do you know if I can lodge the TM 8 form with the two 4 x 6 photos, photocopy of relevant passport pages, and the 1,000 baht fee at the international, or would I have to drive to an immigration office.

I searched the websites, even the international airports website, but that doesn't actually provide the actual wording as such, and previous posts have said the service was once there and then taken down, and then put back on via an agency for a 200 baht fee, so a little confused and don't want to get caught with my pants down so to speak before flying out.

If the service is there fine and I understand its about 200 baht Vs the 2 and a half hour round trip to immigration to get it a couple of days before I fly out.

Thanks in advance

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

My question is, do you know if I can lodge the TM 8 form with the two 4 x 6 photos, photocopy of relevant passport pages, and the 1,000 baht fee at the international, or would I have to drive to an immigration office.

You can get the re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport on departure from the country.

Info here.

Just take a photo with you in case the cannot do it. Everything else is done as part of the 200 baht fee.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Sounds like you are on an extension of stay based on marriage.  You are not on a visa entry. 

You can leave whenever you like and apply for a multi non-O (marriage).  Leaving the country without a re-entry permit will snuff out your extension.  No need to tell immigration anything. 

And when you want to go back to an extension of stay you can do so within the last 30 (maybe 45) days of any 90 day entry on your non-O. 

Thank you Upnotover for the clarity. I think I will move forward with this for the time being knowing I can always go back to the extension of stay. Much appreciated.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get the re-entry permit at Suvarnabhumi (BKK) airport on departure from the country.

Info here.

Just take a photo with you in case the cannot do it. Everything else is done as part of the 200 baht fee.

Thanks Joe