Boycott Boots Pharmacy At Thapae Gate

Ulysses G.

I'm a generally lucky guy who've never needed any doctor's or pharmasist's help for anything but vaccinations except for a single event in my youth where i bended a rib by raising a bicycle to the top of a flagpole (they get very heavy up there). However, this summer I got some problem with my eye that a Google search told me was an eye infection ... Oh no, I thought, how can I ever pay the hospital bills in this backward country? ... I went to Peera Pharmacy, told her my symptons and had her look into (or I suspect she just looked on) my eye ... She sold me two remedies for a total of 85 baht (one to rinse the eye and one to exterminate the bacteria) ... Two days later the rinsing thing was used up and I went to Peera to buy a new sample. Instead of grabbing the opportunity of a regular customer, she (surprised by the fact that the firste sample had gone so fast) told me: It isn't good for the eye, that you rinse it three times a day - one time is better... My eye infection (which made me think in terms of a life as blind) was totally cured for 120 baht about a week after I "consulted" Peera.

Would Boots - or whatever - have staff that would detect a misuse of the remedies they sold?

Sounds like you should spend some time in the gym with MichelM.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peera Pharmacy ร้านขายยาพีระ is the name of the really nice woman's excellent pharmacy a few shops behind Black Canyon Coffee inside Thapae Gate. The service and prices are great.

Please tell all your friends about her.

Power to the people! :o

She has been my pharmacist for years.

I moved to the country side 3 years ago but I keep going there every time I need some medecine. She's a reliable and warm person.

Peera Pharmacy ร้านขายยาพีระ is the name of the really nice woman's excellent pharmacy a few shops behind Black Canyon Coffee inside Thapae Gate. The service and prices are great.

I moved to the country side 3 years ago but I keep going there every time I need some medecine. She's a reliable and warm person.

I believe that there are two pharmacies there (side by side)

Which of the two is "Peera's"? The closest to Moon Muang or the 2nd one?

Or, maybe the name is over the door, but is it in english? :D

The closest to Moon Muang.

I have to admit that I'm getting tired of International companies like Starbucks, 7-11 and Boots coming in and destroying Thai owned businesses that are already doing a good job. The International Pigs pay absurd amounts of rent to get into the best areas, and eventually, no small business people can afford good locations anymore; the rent goes up so high that they have to move elsewhere.

Boots Pharmacy just moved into Thapae Gate and they have nothing to offer that the stores that are there already are not providing. There is a wonderful woman with a pharmacy just inside the gate who provides much better service and at lower prices than Boots ever will and a bunch of other decent pharmacies as well.

Unfortunately, these International companies seem to be able to lose money for years until they can drive out all their competition, so in the long run consumers don't have a choice.

Starbucks at Thapae Gate is paying an amazingly high rent with almost no customers, yet there they sit, waiting for the rents in the area to get so high that no competitors can afford to be near them. Then they can raise their silly prices even higher. :o

Hi UG,

You posted that 7-11 was an international company. I believed it to be a Thai company ( with 4000 outlets in every suburb if every city and village in Thailand ). Could I be wrong ? Perhaps someone can confirm one way , or the other .

Cheers

The closest to Moon Muang.

Thanks AJB

I have visited the shop and I concur with the positive comments re same.

Edited by john b good

I have to admit that I'm getting tired of International companies like Starbucks, 7-11 and Boots coming in and destroying Thai owned businesses that are already doing a good job. The International Pigs pay absurd amounts of rent to get into the best areas, and eventually, no small business people can afford good locations anymore; the rent goes up so high that they have to move elsewhere.

Boots Pharmacy just moved into Thapae Gate and they have nothing to offer that the stores that are there already are not providing. There is a wonderful woman with a pharmacy just inside the gate who provides much better service and at lower prices than Boots ever will and a bunch of other decent pharmacies as well.

Unfortunately, these International companies seem to be able to lose money for years until they can drive out all their competition, so in the long run consumers don't have a choice.

Starbucks at Thapae Gate is paying an amazingly high rent with almost no customers, yet there they sit, waiting for the rents in the area to get so high that no competitors can afford to be near them. Then they can raise their silly prices even higher. :o

Hi UG,

You posted that 7-11 was an international company. I believed it to be a Thai company ( with 4000 outlets in every suburb if every city and village in Thailand ). Could I be wrong ? Perhaps someone can confirm one way , or the other .

Cheers

7-11 started many decades ago in Dallas, Texas, by the Thompson family, when such places were still called 'ice houses.' It became Southland Dairy, with thousands of stores all over the world. I think the national franchise for Thailand is held by a Thai, who's not poor.

Hi UG,

Cheers

7-11 started many decades ago in Dallas, Texas, by the Thompson family, when such places were still called 'ice houses.' It became Southland Dairy, with thousands of stores all over the world. I think the national franchise for Thailand is held by a Thai, who's not poor.

No, he is not short of a dollar.

He is the guy who heads up Charoen Pokland Foods (CP) and is one of the richest guys in the realm.

If it's food he has his finger in the pie.

Power to the people! :D

How about lower-priced books?

I second that. Power to the readers !

Saturday, I bought 3 books for 730 bahts. I asked for a 30 baht discount.

-"Mai dai, mai dai" replied the seller "because when you bring back the books, we'll give you back 50 %"

- "I won't bring back those books, they're too good. Can I have a 30 baht discount, please?"

- "Mai dai, mai dai".

- "Please"

- "Mai dai. My boss doesn't want."

:o

:D

Hi UG,

Cheers

Major Shareholders CP7-11 THAILAND

Rank Major Shareholders # Shares % Shares

1 บริษัท เครือเจริญโภคภัณฑ์ จำกัด 853,882,900 19.26

2 บริษัท ซี.พี.เมอร์แชนไดซิ่ง จำกัด 773,067,500 17.43

3 AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL ASSURANCE COMPANY, LIMITED-DI-LIFE 400,000,000 9.02

4 CPF INVESTMENT LIMITED 227,314,600 5.13

5 ALBOUYS NOMINEES LIMITED 175,176,400 3.95

6 GOVERNMENT OF SINGAPORE INVESTMENT CORPORATION C 170,674,500 3.85

7 CHASE C.S. CENTRAL NOMINEES LIMITED 35 165,536,100 3.73

8 บริษัท กรุงเทพโปรดิ๊วส จำกัด (มหาชน) 140,000,000 3.16

9 STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY 96,733,955 2.18

10 บริษัท ไทยเอ็นวีดีอาร์ จำกัด 93,965,331 2.12

11 บริษัท ยู เอ็น เอส อโกรเคมีคัล จำกัด 90,000,000 2.03

12 GOLDMAN SACHS & CO 89,879,600 2.03

13 GOVERNMENT OF SINGAPORE INVESTMENT CORPORATION H 78,775,700 1.78

14 HSBC (SINGAPORE) NOMINEES PTE LTD 73,562,900 1.66

15 MELLON BANK,N.A. 58,471,800 1.32

16 CHASE NOMINEES LIMITED 46 58,015,013 1.31

17 CHASE NOMINEES LIMITED 1 44,961,300 1.01

18 CITIBANK NOMINEES SINGAPORE PTE LTD-UBS AG ZURICH 40,214,200 0.91

19 สำนักงานประกันสังคม 30,570,000 0.69

20 CHASE C.S. CENTRAL NOMINEES LIMITED 19 30,413,400 0.69

21 NORTRUST NOMINEES LTD. 30,274,100 0.68

22 RAFFLES NOMINEES (PTE) LIMITED 28,888,000 0.65

23 ธนาคาร กสิกรไทย 27,522,400 0.62

24 LITTLEDOWN NOMINEES LIMITED 3 26,659,000 0.60

25 นายปริญ เธียรวร 26,000,000 0.59

26 STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY, FOR LONDON 24,499,000 0.55

27 STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY FOR AUSTRALIA, 23,715,900 0.53

28 THE BANK OF NEW YORK (NOMINEES) LIMITED 22,298,900 0.50

Hi UG,

Cheers

Major Shareholders CP7-11 THAILAND

Rank Major Shareholders # Shares % Shares

1 บริษัท เครือเจริญโภคภัณฑ์ จำกัด 853,882,900 19.26 Charoen Pokphand Co., Ltd.

2 บริษัท ซี.พี.เมอร์แชนไดซิ่ง จำกัด 773,067,500 17.43 C.P. Merchandising Co., Ltd.

3 AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL ASSURANCE COMPANY, LIMITED-DI-LIFE 400,000,000 9.02

4 CPF INVESTMENT LIMITED 227,314,600 5.13

5 ALBOUYS NOMINEES LIMITED 175,176,400 3.95

6 GOVERNMENT OF SINGAPORE INVESTMENT CORPORATION C 170,674,500 3.85

7 CHASE C.S. CENTRAL NOMINEES LIMITED 35 165,536,100 3.73

8 บริษัท กรุงเทพโปรดิ๊วส จำกัด (มหาชน) 140,000,000 3.16 Grungthep Produce Public Co., Ltd.

9 STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY 96,733,955 2.18

10 บริษัท ไทยเอ็นวีดีอาร์ จำกัด 93,965,331 2.12 Thai NVDR Co., Ltd.

11 บริษัท ยู เอ็น เอส อโกรเคมีคัล จำกัด 90,000,000 2.03 UNS Agrochemical Co., Ltd.

12 GOLDMAN SACHS & CO 89,879,600 2.03

13 GOVERNMENT OF SINGAPORE INVESTMENT CORPORATION H 78,775,700 1.78

14 HSBC (SINGAPORE) NOMINEES PTE LTD 73,562,900 1.66

15 MELLON BANK,N.A. 58,471,800 1.32

16 CHASE NOMINEES LIMITED 46 58,015,013 1.31

17 CHASE NOMINEES LIMITED 1 44,961,300 1.01

18 CITIBANK NOMINEES SINGAPORE PTE LTD-UBS AG ZURICH 40,214,200 0.91

19 สำนักงานประกันสังคม 30,570,000 0.69 Office of Social Security

20 CHASE C.S. CENTRAL NOMINEES LIMITED 19 30,413,400 0.69

21 NORTRUST NOMINEES LTD. 30,274,100 0.68

22 RAFFLES NOMINEES (PTE) LIMITED 28,888,000 0.65

23 ธนาคาร กสิกรไทย 27,522,400 0.62 Kasikorn Bank

24 LITTLEDOWN NOMINEES LIMITED 3 26,659,000 0.60

25 นายปริญ เธียรวร 26,000,000 0.59 Mr. Prin Tiarworn

26 STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY, FOR LONDON 24,499,000 0.55

27 STATE STREET BANK AND TRUST COMPANY FOR AUSTRALIA, 23,715,900 0.53

28 THE BANK OF NEW YORK (NOMINEES) LIMITED 22,298,900 0.50

Roman transliteration added.

Hi UG,

Cheers

Thanks PeaceBlondie.

That's settled that for me. I'll have to find the person who told me !!

UG , pardon me for ever doubting you !

Cheers

Do you ask for a discount at the noodle stall too? :o

No, but no one would accuse noodle shops of being overpriced to begin with. Comparing them is like apples and oranges, or in this case, noodles and books. One does bargain with other types of stalls that are attempting to sell at inflated prices.

Sorry, but I've heard many cheapo, dirtbag farangs trying to bargain with noodle stalls down to a silly price, but if the establishment sports a big sign that says fixed prices, it means that if you don't like prices, than shut your big yap and go bother someone else. :o

Sorry, but I've heard many cheapo, dirtbag farangs trying to bargain with noodle stalls down to a silly price, but if the establishment sports a big sign that says fixed prices, it means that if you don't like prices, than shut your big yap and go bother someone else. :o

Probably the same guys that refuse to understand a BIG sign saying: "15 - 30 minutes: 10 Baht" and has to be explained in five different ways that it doesn't mean that 20 minutes cost 5 Baht... After the haggling is over, I also politely tell them to go bother someone else next time (amazingly, some of them don't understand even that but come back, because they've realized that they actually do get a good bargain with the unnegotiable prizes).

Edited by Cyberstar

Power to the people! :D

How about lower-priced books?

I second that. Power to the readers !

Saturday, I bought 3 books for 730 bahts. I asked for a 30 baht discount.

-"Mai dai, mai dai" replied the seller "because when you bring back the books, we'll give you back 50 %"

- "I won't bring back those books, they're too good. Can I have a 30 baht discount, please?"

- "Mai dai, mai dai".

- "Please"

- "Mai dai. My boss doesn't want."

:o

:D

So, you found some books - too good to be returned after reading - but you found the price too high? ... Why didn't you just say "mai ben lai" and walked out the store to a competitor and buy them?

I believe this is a forum where indeed the purpose is to "flap our yaps," otherwise it wouldn't have a reason to exist. I my case I have indeed bothered someone else and have long ago taken my custom elsewhere, which I urge everyone else to do.

Congratulations to the poor sod that has to put up with your moaning.

I seem to be managing just fine without you! :D

Now how about giving up the trolling and try to stick to the subject of the thread? :o

No moaning, just my money. And why don't you quit the insults and try to accept that everyone does not have to just talk about just your particular pet peeve (of the moment)?

Congratulations to the poor sod that has to put up with your moaning.

I seem to be managing just fine without you! :D

Now how about giving up the trolling and try to stick to the subject of the thread? :o

No moaning, just my money. And why don't you quit the insults and try to accept that everyone does not have to just talk about just your particular pet peeve (of the moment)?

In this topic that is sort of the point.

Go start a trolling topic yourself...

I would wager that if you had a bunch of plain bottles without labels and filled them with a variety of Scottish beverages they wouldn't know one from the other

I wouldn't either, and neither would anyone else I know...

I would like to think that I knew the difference between a goog single malt and a cheap blend like JW.

Not much worth drinking from the JW stable. Tried all JW coloured & all are shockers. Some of us can pick the difference. Thai whisky leaves a lot to be desired. Thai sister-in-law married a Korean whom broght me a bottle of 'Korean Whiskey' one trip. Very nice of him, yes. Shame the whiskey was one of the cheapest sub-gutter-level Scotches available in a bottle with Korean writing.

JW have a 10YO single malt under the name of 'Cardhu' - that's drinkable. Irish whisky is far better.

• 2 weeks later...