UK General Election

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Election 2017: Labour to scrap minimum income rule for foreign spouses

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-labour-minimum-income-rule-foreign-spouses-migrant-threshold-visa-immigration-uk-a7729846.html

Pensions GIF.jpg

I've heard they are offering free trips to the moon and free Yorkshire bitter for life as well, not sure how true it is though. Lib Dems are going to legalise cannabis, is there a general election due?

Thats about EU  not expats outside the EU.do you really think even a labour goverment would do or give any expat outside the EU a tax break, or secure the tripple lock for the same. Not a chance as they have already said they would raise taxes to cover the farcical ideas they have already come up with. Maths isn't labour's strong point never has been. Extra police and how much it will cost remember that a couple of weeks ago!!. Now blindly borrowing with no thought to the future thats there strong point always has been. But its a pointless debate really as there going to be in opposition for a long time to come yet. I have to thank Corbyn by the way he made my month in a recent paper article he said "I will remain labour leader even if we lose the election"  Fantastic labour will be unelectable for years and years and years long may his reign last i say. 

15 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Thats about EU  not expats outside the EU.do you really think even a labour goverment would do or give any expat outside the EU a tax break, or secure the tripple lock for the same. Not a chance as they have already said they would raise taxes to cover the farcical ideas they have already come up with. Maths isn't labour's strong point never has been. Extra police and how much it will cost remember that a couple of weeks ago!!. Now blindly borrowing with no thought to the future thats there strong point always has been. But its a pointless debate really as there going to be in opposition for a long time to come yet. I have to thank Corbyn by the way he made my month in a recent paper article he said "I will remain labour leader even if we lose the election"  Fantastic labour will be unelectable for years and years and years long may his reign last i say. 

Actually I agree with you about the EU centric nature of the notice and would insert the word "also" as in "this could also hit UK pensioners in the EU". The central fact remains, life in the UK is only going to get worse under the Tories (some of us do try to keep up to date and do what we can to help our loved ones there). There is no hope on pressuring the Tories to do the decent thing, Labour at least have said something you can press them on. Nobody is saying there will be instant success either, but it's better than sitting on your hands.

15 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

Actually I agree with you about the EU centric nature of the notice and would insert the word "also" as in "this could also hit UK pensioners in the EU". The central fact remains, life in the UK is only going to get worse under the Tories (some of us do try to keep up to date and do what we can to help our loved ones there). There is no hope on pressuring the Tories to do the decent thing, Labour at least have said something you can press them on. Nobody is saying there will be instant success either, but it's better than sitting on your hands.

Again you have done a Corbyn and ducked and dived and not addressed my points at all. Fear not you will have many years to ague the points ps by inserting "also" means nothing its all about the EU nothing else.

Edited by jeab1980
39 minutes ago, vogie said:

I've heard they are offering free trips to the moon and free Yorkshire bitter for life as well, not sure how true it is though. Lib Dems are going to legalise cannabis, is there a general election due?

At least the manifesto is raising important issues that need to be addressed by the UK ( fox hunting and legalisation of cannabis can wait for another day)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/14/is-labour-manifesto-fantasy-land-quite-the-opposite

1 minute ago, jeab1980 said:

Again you have done a Corbyn and ducked and dived and not addressed my points at all. Fear not you will have many years to ague the points

Tell me your points one by one and I will try and address them to your satisfaction (when I get back from the shopping).

1 minute ago, ianh68 said:

At least the manifesto is raising important issues that need to be addressed by the UK ( fox hunting and legalisation of cannabis can wait for another day)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/14/is-labour-manifesto-fantasy-land-quite-the-opposite

1st point i never open links in a forum post

2nd point i would never read a rag like the guardian.

3rd point if i wanted info on labour i would read the Beano.

1 minute ago, ianh68 said:

And what about the immediate issues, er, like brexit, do you honestly think JC and his crack squad of political geniuses could negotiate a good deal for the UK, most of the country including former Labour voters think otherwise. They are a complete embarrassment to themselves and the country. All the decent cabinet members have jumped ship, I wonder why, well I'm guessing that they know he is unelectable, his stance on the security of the country is laughable. 

By the way I used to vote Labour, but while this shower of imbaciles are running the Labour party I will pass, doesn't it embarrass you when you see the likes of Abbott, McDonald and Thornburry on the tv giving interviews, if not it should.

44 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Er no thank you. You go and enjoy your shopping

45 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Er no thank you. You go and enjoy your shopping

Again you have done a May and ducked and dived and not addressed my points at all. Fear not you will have many years to ague the points

40 minutes ago, vogie said:

And what about the immediate issues, er, like brexit, do you honestly think JC and his crack squad of political geniuses could negotiate a good deal for the UK, most of the country including former Labour voters think otherwise. They are a complete embarrassment to themselves and the country. All the decent cabinet members have jumped ship, I wonder why, well I'm guessing that they know he is unelectable, his stance on the security of the country is laughable. 

By the way I used to vote Labour, but while this shower of imbaciles are running the Labour party I will pass, doesn't it embarrass you when you see the likes of Abbott, McDonald and Thornburry on the tv giving interviews, if not it should.

This interview between Thornberry and Fallon is quite entertaining. It doesn't embarrass me in the least.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2017/05/emily-thornberry-tells-michael-fallon-tories-are-talking-<deleted>-foreign

And at least Corbyn has been round Europe talking about the issues in a friendly manner, not standing in front of 10 Downing street slagging off the EU negotiators (clever move that, not). It is evident that May is putting party interests before the interests of the country as a whole by playing to the gallery.

Edited by ianh68
1 hour ago, ianh68 said:

Here's an update. It's an animated GIF.

Social-Media-post-format-1---pensioners.GIF

16 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

Again you have done a May and ducked and dived and not addressed my points at all. Fear not you will have many years to ague the points

But i have unlike you addressed your point. I would go as far as to offer you a promise on my behalf. I will donate 100 pounds to yourself for a worthwhile charity of your choosing  (not the labour prty even though they might need it) if labour win the genral election in June.  I wont expect a similar offer from yourself, taking from the blind is against my principles?

28 minutes ago, ianh68 said:

This interview between Thornberry and Fallon is quite entertaining. It doesn't embarrass me in the least.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2017/05/emily-thornberry-tells-michael-fallon-tories-are-talking-<deleted>-foreign

And at least Corbyn has been round Europe talking about the issues in a friendly manner, not standing in front of 10 Downing street slagging off the EU negotiators (clever move that, not). It is evident that May is putting party interests before the interests of the country as a whole by playing to the gallery.

And Abbott?

7 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How do any of the posts on this page comply with Ubonjoe's instructions in the topic "Political discussions in the Home Country Forum"?

Lol its an election discusion not political.

3 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

So post #104 isn't a blatant advert for the Labour Party?

The post simply stated Labour's claimed policy plans in a handy, animated graphic versus a long-handed, yawn-piece. Hardly a party political broadcast now is it?

7 hours ago, vogie said:

And Abbott?

Didn't see it but heard about it. Not a high point I will admit, but one swallow doesn't make a summer. She should maybe learn to pace herself better is a charitable thought.

6 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

How do any of the posts on this page comply with Ubonjoe's instructions in the topic "Political discussions in the Home Country Forum"?

Actually I originally posted in General Topics and got moved to this forum. Go figure.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:52 AM, ianh68 said:

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Election 2017: Labour to scrap minimum income rule for foreign spouses

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/election-2017-labour-minimum-income-rule-foreign-spouses-migrant-threshold-visa-immigration-uk-a7729846.html

Pensions GIF.jpg

Hmm, pledges of this sort tend to end up in the bin once those making them (regardless of their political persuasion) have attained Ministerial power and had their ears bent by their Sir Humphrey equivalents! 

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Hmm, pledges of this sort tend to end up in the bin once those making them (regardless of their political persuasion) have attained Ministerial power and had their ears bent by their Sir Humphrey equivalents! 

Correct. The comments of a certain Pensions Minister relating to frozen pensions come to mind. Promise the earth just to get elected then blame the 'events, dear boy' for not delivering.

22 minutes ago, dabhand said:

Correct. The comments of a certain Pensions Minister relating to frozen pensions come to mind. Promise the earth just to get elected then blame the 'events, dear boy' for not delivering.

I understand what you are saying. Even if Labour got in nobody is expecting a bonanza but at least they've given us something to apply pressure to. I can't even see a glimmer of light in the Tory response, even if it was one of their own who raised the issue in Parliament.

http://www.forthcapital.com/expat-pension-uprating-dismissed-uk/

As the election approaches, it is really important that we write to all candidates in our last constituency in the UK suggesting that our vote will go to the candidate supporting unfreezing.
Here is the list- please don't spam everyone, but write a personalised email to all you can.https://docs.google.com/…/1k9daJnZIudvCYJVhMa2CQJU2Xr…/edit…
If you get a positive reply, please post name of candidate on this Facebook page

safe_image.php?d=AQCtOoJahO8cQ0aO&w=450&
Sheet1 NOTE TO ALL CAMPAIGNERS: Please email candidates in constituencies to which you have a historic link. Individual emails are far far…
DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

Just now, oceanyachting said:

I've not read this entire thread but I registered and recieved my ballot paper today with a postage paid envelope for reply. My query is whether UK 'postage paid' works from here or should I pay a Thai post office to send it?

I voted in Brexit referendum same system took it to post office asked them.  They said no have to pay. Cant remember how much now.