UK General Election

The UK General Election on 8 Jun provides all Britons in Thailand with an opportunity to influence the future of their country. If you are not registered to vote then the deadline for registration is Mon 22 May; apply for a postal vote by Tue 23 May and for a proxy vote by Wed 31 May. Here's a handy video from the Labour Party.

Anyone interested in the work of the newly formed Labour International group in Thailand is welcome to message me.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, samtam said:

Has anyone ever done the postal vote from Thailand - viz does it arrive in time to return it before/by the polling date?

In practice it's almost impossible. The ballot papers can't be sent out until the deadline for nominations of candidates has passed - 19 working days before the date of the election. Then the papers have to be printed and despatched. That must be a minimum of 5 working days, so it's going to be about 3 weeks from election day before they're posted. To rely on receiving a ballot paper in Thailand and returning it to be received before polling day is over-optimistic.

The only practical way is to have a proxy, which works if you have someone you can trust, and it is convenient for them to attend your polling station. They can apply to cast your vote by post, but if you're not already registered and have a nominated proxy there may not be enough time to sort all that out for the coming election. My son votes for me by post, the registration has to be renewed every year.

In practice it's almost impossible. The ballot papers can't be sent out until the deadline for nominations of candidates has passed - 19 working days before the date of the election. Then the papers have to be printed and despatched. That must be a minimum of 5 working days, so it's going to be about 3 weeks from election day before they're posted. To rely on receiving a ballot paper in Thailand and returning it to be received before polling day is over-optimistic.
The only practical way is to have a proxy, which works if you have someone you can trust, and it is convenient for them to attend your polling station. They can apply to cast your vote by post, but if you're not already registered and have a nominated proxy there may not be enough time to sort all that out for the coming election. My son votes for me by post, the registration has to be renewed every year.

Yes, postal proxy is the way to go, but might be too late now. I've been away from the UK for 13 years now so this is likely my last General Election.
2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, I tried to register tonight, and basically what you said. ?

The last time I looked the odds bookies were offering it was 10-1 on upwards for a Conservative win. I watched a bit on BBC TV about voters intentions in Wakefield a strong labour seat of the past but now at about lab majority of 2653 and the interviewees seemed to switching from lifetime Labour voters to the Conservatives, looks like the bookies have it right, what will happen in Scotland I wonder.

The vote is an important part of democracy but what we do here is unlikely to stop a large Conservative majority.

As another poster stated I won't bother voting as I don't live there any more. So will let my kids have there day now. Personally I see only one outcome with that muppet in charge of labour it's like lambs to the slaughter.

Edited by jeab1980

The prime aim of this thread is to facilitate matters for those in Thailand who wish to vote in the UK General Election and do not have a system in place.

It is not too late to act. If you are not registered you can register as an overseas voter if you are a British citizen and you have been on a UK electoral register at any time within the past 15 years. Visit  https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Alternatively, some local authorities may take registrations over the phone. You can find the contact details of your Electoral Registration Officer by entering your last UK postcode on www.yourvotematters.co.uk

I agree proxy is the best road to take. Your proxy can vote in person or by post. Ask for your proxy to vote in person - it is easier for them (by post was default when I registered so I had to request they change it, which they did immediately). Visit https://www.gov.uk/apply-vote-proxy

The quickest way to deal with the paperwork is to do everything online. Anything that requires a signature can be printed, signed, scanned and returned electronically. If you don't have these facilities at home there is probably a print shop near you that does.

If you don't have a proxy (family member, friend, neighbour etc) you can always contact the local branch of the party you support and ask to be given one.

Remember, every vote counts and to those who want a decent future for their children back in the UK I say so does yours.

Good luck!

My recent experience of the electoral register went like this;

1. The 2015 GE: I jumped through all the hoops and was successful, yet when it came to sending papers to addresses outside the EU the UK Govt deliberately sat on them, denying several hundred thousand eligible Brits the chance to vote. 

2. The 2016 Referendum: By this time I'd fallen foul of the '15 year' rule.

Until they sort their act out re the numbers choosing to live abroad in the 21st century we are p1ssing in the wind.

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, nong38 said:

The last time I looked the odds bookies were offering it was 10-1 on upwards for a Conservative win.

As far as I am aware, since May's announcement the Conservatives have never been 10/1 or any other odds against; they have always been odds on favourites.

The last time I looked the best odds available for a Conservative win were 1/16, and today are 1/20. (source)

For those who don't understand odds; the stake is on the right, the potential winnings on the left. So, for example, 10/1 means bet £1, win £10: 1/10 means bet £10, win £1.

If the stake is lower than the potential winnings, this is known as odds against. If the stake is higher than the potential winnings, this is known as odds on. Evens means that the potential winnings are the same as the stake.

Best odds means best for the customer; i.e. the odds offering the best return for their stake.

Edited by 7by7
1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

As far as I am aware, since May's announcement the Conservatives have never been 10/1 or any other odds against; they have always been odds on favourites.

I read nong38's post as "10/1 on" - which is how we would say it. On the bookie's chalkboard at Wetherby (the last racecourse I attended about 50 years ago) it would be shown as 1/10.

To evadgib,

You say " 1. The 2015 GE: I jumped through all the hoops and was successful, yet when it came to sending papers to addresses outside the EU the UK Govt deliberately sat on them, denying several hundred thousand eligible Brits the chance to vote."

I would like to follow this up. Do you have any sources for this information?

Thanks 

This is the reply from Leeds City Council.

If your application is received before 2 May 2017 your postal ballot pack will be posted 15 May 2017

-          If your application is received after 2 May 2017 but before 11 May 2017 your postal ballot pack will be posted on 23 May 2017

-          If your application is received after 11 May 2017 but before 5pm on Tuesday 23 May your postal ballot pack will be posted on 30 May 2017

1 hour ago, ianh68 said:

To evadgib,

You say " 1. The 2015 GE: I jumped through all the hoops and was successful, yet when it came to sending papers to addresses outside the EU the UK Govt deliberately sat on them, denying several hundred thousand eligible Brits the chance to vote."

I would like to follow this up. Do you have any sources for this information?

Thanks 

"the UK Govt" doesn't send out ballot papers. They are sent out by individual local authorities. It's difficult to believe there was a concerted conspiracy across the country to obstruct the issue of ballot papers

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Which I belive is illegal yes

No it's not illegal. What happens is you must formally ask the person concerned to vote for you as proxy.

Here is part of the declaration on the application form which you have to sign:

Declaration:
I have asked the person I have named as my proxy and confirm that he/she is willing and able to be appointed to vote on my behalf.
1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Which I belive is illegal yes

Not illegal but you must sign the declaration as follows:

Declaration:

I have asked the person I have named as my proxy and confirm that he/she is willing and able

to be appointed to vote on my behalf.

17 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I read nong38's post as "10/1 on" - which is how we would say it. On the bookie's chalkboard at Wetherby (the last racecourse I attended about 50 years ago) it would be shown as 1/10.

You do read it correctly but perhaps I had not made it as clear as I could. odd on for Conservative victory.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

No not so, this is part of the letter from LCC.

"Another absent voting facility available to you is to appoint someone to vote on your behalf (proxy)."

Yes appoint someone to be a proxy voter is legal I know this is do it always. To be put in touch with a group who you don't know who will use your vote as they want and as it's a labour supporter instigated thread, do you really think they will follow your wishes LOL only way they will get more votes come on people open your eyes