Supreme Commander: submarines necessary for national security

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/27/2017 at 10:35 PM, sandemara said:

A Supreme Commander who hangs his reputation on Chinese submarines. Hasn't anyone had the courage to tell him these things are designed to sink and disappear as required?

The subs are outfitted with a GT-2000 GPS and the all new GT-2100 auto pilot, so no worries.

On 4/27/2017 at 4:16 PM, sanukjim said:

The army has gotten their ass kicked in the last seven times they tried to screw with their neighbors in the last 30 years and have a very poor rating in world armies,Most of the Air Forces planes are grounded due to the lack of parts and poor maintenance with the pilots getting very few hours flying a year,The Navy has an aircraft carrier that has only a few foreigners taking off or landing on it in a single seat aircraft or with a local pilot and a foreign pilot in a multi seat aircraft. that has not enough qualified personnel to man it at sea

Yes, keep on knocking the quality and fighting spirit of the Thai military all you like. But I'll remind you of one big factor you all keep forgetting. The Thai military has not lost one battle yet against its own citizens. In more than 30 coups over the last 50 years the military has proved its worth with enthusiasm and courage against unarmed mobs of men, women and children.

20 minutes ago, sandemara said:

Yes, keep on knocking the quality and fighting spirit of the Thai military all you like. But I'll remind you of one big factor you all keep forgetting. The Thai military has not lost one battle yet against its own citizens. In more than 30 coups over the last 50 years the military has proved its worth with enthusiasm and courage against unarmed mobs of men, women and children.

Every country deserves something to be proud of!!!  :ph34r:

On 4/27/2017 at 11:19 AM, Panda13 said:

The biggest problem will be finding a shirt large enough to carry ALL of the Supreme Commanders medals. He might have to wear two shirts at the same time.emoji44.png

Just what do they get the medals for? Has there been a war somewhere involving the Thai military that we have not heard about?

On 4/27/2017 at 1:21 PM, cmsally said:

I read something in an international defense site a couple of days ago.

It said the Chinese made sure that the submarines were of a type that could not cross the Gulf of Siam (too shallow). Therefore if China had "serious business" in the South China Sea the Thais would not be able to meddle. They were not that worried if they were deployed to the West Coast as only the Indians there.

Anyone know if this is true regarding , sizes, depth etc

...and 45 thinks he can out "deal" the Chinese...

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Why does Thailand's Navy need submarines?

So Vietnam has attack-submarines, to defend against China,  which is actively trying to assert authority over disputed areas in the South China Seas, and where Thailand has no current claim or ambitions.

The new Vietnamese subs can operate up-to 300m below the surface, but the Gulf of Siam is much more shallow than that, so operations there would be unlikely, and anyway would be in the wrong direction for action against China.

If Thailand felt threatened by its ASEAN-partner Vietnam, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in anti-submarine measures, or do you think Thailand should/will ally with China in any such war ?

If this were about buying more depth-charges, or a few more patrol-boats equipped with homing-torpedoes, or helicopters equipped with dipping-sonars, or even land-based surveillance-drones (which I believe Thailand already operates, or has considered), then I might follow the logic of this decision better.

So Vietnam has attack-submarines, to defend against China,  which is actively trying to assert authority over disputed areas in the South China Seas, and where Thailand has no current claim or ambitions.

The new Vietnamese subs can operate up-to 300m below the surface, but the Gulf of Siam is much more shallow than that, so operations there would be unlikely, and anyway would be in the wrong direction for action against China.

If Thailand felt threatened by its ASEAN-partner Vietnam, wouldn't it make more sense to invest in anti-submarine measures, or do you think Thailand should/will ally with China in any such war ?

If this were about buying more depth-charges, or a few more patrol-boats equipped with homing-torpedoes, or helicopters equipped with dipping-sonars, or even land-based surveillance-drones (which I believe Thailand already operates, or has considered), then I might follow the logic of this decision better.

Can Vietnam pose as a threat to China’s national security? Not much. Even if Vietnam let US station troops on its soil, the threat will not be much more than those from South Korea and Japan.

Can a rising Vietnam threaten China’s influence in the region? The answer will be yes. Actually not just Vietnam, a rising Philippines, a rising Indonesia, Myanmar, India, etc. will pose threat to existing big powers, the case for a Sino - Thai relationship. But I would call it a concern for China instead of fear which is too strong a word.

Who on earth comes up with this nonsense?....Who is threatening Thailand?...Myanmar?...Can't they come up with a better reason than national security?...and on top of this they actually think people believe this garbage?

6 hours ago, sandemara said:

Why do the Thais have so many civil wars?  

So they can win one every now and again..

On 4/27/2017 at 11:00 AM, mok199 said:

as I was told at pattaya imagration a few weeks ago...if I don't like it I can always'' go back to Canada''..gulp.''3 cheers for the thai navy'' im tired of fighting these idoits...

Oh the irony.

Sometimes an image speaks better than words (look at the depth map, don't pay attention to what is inside the small rectangle which is not related to this topic).

Fig-1-A-Overview-map-of-the-Sunda-Shelf-showing-the-location-of-study-area-small.png.882bb1823a517043307ec45d354eac36.png

These submarines aren't your usual run of the mill subs.

Ask wiki>According to an early assessment by the US Naval Institute, the Yuan class was primarily designed as "an anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) platform capable of hiding submerged for long periods of time in difficult to access shallow littorals."

They can travel up rivers, maybe streams!

14 hours ago, Lingba said:

Who on earth comes up with this nonsense?....Who is threatening Thailand?...Myanmar?...Can't they come up with a better reason than national security?...and on top of this they actually think people believe this garbage?

"....they actually think people believe this garbage?"

Yes, because they know most Thais do not or cannot think outside of their own personal space, sadly  :sad:

"....they actually think people believe this garbage?"

Yes, because they know most Thais do not or cannot think outside of their own personal space, sadly  :sad:

They don't really care whether anyone believes it. They make the statement just as a cosmetic exercise. Don't forget that they are untramelled by any checks or balances, there isn't even a veneer of parliamentary scrutiny. Add to that the belief in entitlement they have, the fact that they are from a military which is primarily concerned with show and status- and the other benefits- and add in the fact that they can, and do, repress and/or ignore criticism and you will see why they don't care.

The people know what could happen to them if they object.

They bide their time.

The submarines will have about as much influence upon Thailands defensive (or offensive) capabilities as the aircraft carrier.