Effect of a local VPN server on intra-Thailand speed

wpcoe

I wanted to see the effect of using PureVPN's Thailand server on download speeds, and got confusing results using speedtest.net to Bangkok.

This is using a 30/10 Mbps FTTH package with TMN (a local Pattaya cable provider):

a.gif.2dd57d39c1e654365dd04423ca3a039a.gif

I was surprised that the download speed dropped 10+ Mbps.  That seemed like a high overhead.

Then I did the same test with a 18/1.8 Mbps ADSL package with 3BB:

b.gif.9e34c5181c18322cb767487e8d3b9dfe.gif

And this time the download speed increased 6+ Mbps.  How can the speed increase -- especially so much -- on a local test?

What is the reason for the opposite effect?  What should a reasonable overhead be for using a local VPN server?

I doubt they have Thailand server, it must be in Singapore (closest and fastest location to Thailand).

However, your ping says something else.

As for speed increase, it is probably because of compression in vpn. It won't help in real internet usage.

As I expected, Thailand server is located in Singapore

here is proof:

root@sin:~# ping 103.46.140.2
PING 103.46.140.2 (103.46.140.2) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 103.46.140.2: icmp_req=1 ttl=122 time=2.86 ms
64 bytes from 103.46.140.2: icmp_req=2 ttl=122 time=2.16 ms

this vps is in Singapore and vpn server (thailand - purevpn) gets 2 ms ping.

You can ping from your internet too: vlap-th1-ovpn-udp.pointtoserver.com

you can get 30-40 ms depending on location/connection type.

They just put an Address / company to this IP so it will show as Thai IP but it probably won't enable you to watch THAI TV / TOT IP TV / 3BB Cloud IP TV (I could be wrong, haven't tested it)

address:        501 Changmai-Lumpang Road Muang changmai 50000
phone:          +12176514225
e-mail:         [email protected]
admin-c:        UG22-AP
tech-c:         UG22-AP
nic-hdl:        GSLT1-AP
mnt-by:         MAINT-GZSYSTEMSLIMITED-HK
changed:        [email protected] 20141229
source:         APNIC

Thanks.  I'm by no means a communications tech person, but I've never heard of "compression in vpn."  Interesting.  Do I want to know why it wouldn't help in real internet usage?  :crying:

Okay, then that brings up my original concern which led me to the speed test.

Is there a reliable VPN who actually has a server in Thailand?  I'm thinking mainly in terms of end-to-end encryption without sending my data out of the country and back, which is what PureVPN apparently does.  Or, should I just stick with PureVPN and choose the Singapore or Thailand server?

18 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

Thanks.  I'm by no means a communications tech person, but I've never heard of "compression in vpn."  Interesting.  Do I want to know why it wouldn't help in real internet usage?  :crying:

Okay, then that brings up my original concern which led me to the speed test.

Is there a reliable VPN who actually has a server in Thailand?  I'm thinking mainly in terms of end-to-end encryption without sending my data out of the country and back, which is what PureVPN apparently does.  Or, should I just stick with PureVPN and choose the Singapore or Thailand server?

No sane company would put a real Thai server for vpn. International bandwidth in Thai datacenters are too expensive, and they would be subjected to Thai MCT law, which is not easy to comply with.

Just buy a $5 usd digitalocean vps. Install openvpn with nyr script or something, and use it. Then you can trust it :)

Okay, that eliminates the idea of using a truly local VPN -- there aren't any!

I think I'll stick to the K.I.S.S. principle and just keep using PureVPN's Singapore location when I want encrypted surfing, like when using public hot spots.  Although, I guess it should be identical to using their Thailand "location," no?

Didn't really know what digitalocean was, but just Googled it.  I'll put that on a future project to research further.  Thanks!

Yes, the PureVPN Thailand server is a virtual server which is actually in Singapore.  Although actually being in Singapore it issues out a Thailand IP address.  Many VPN service providers use virtual servers for many countries/cities....they do "not" actually have servers located in many countries/cities especially countries that seem to frown on VPN...instead virtual servers are used.  The magic of virtual VPN servers.

Take a look at Hide-My-Ass and PureVPN descriptions of virtual servers:

https://support.hidemyass.com/hc/en-us/articles/202722036-What-are-virtual-locations-and-what-do-I-need-them-for-

https://support.purevpn.com/virtual-servers-and-when-you-should-use-them

Re the OP's original question, it's been my experience that different Thai ISPs respond differently to the use of VPN services.

It's been my experience that both True and 3BB in general will tend to show IMPROVED international performance when using a good VPN. AIS fiber doesn't seem to show any improvement, but still gets good performance without it. And unfortunately, I can't speak to the local TMN ISP in Pattaya referenced by the OP.

@TallGuyJohninBKK:  I originally got into discovering VPNs when I had True and it made a big difference in overseas speeds to use a Singapore server.  However, I found it hasn't made much of a difference with my current 3BB ADSL.

Hey, the wonky VPN behavior continues from my opening post.  I had intended to show that using PureVPN's Singapore server basically had no effect on my 3BB ADSL, which in the past was shown, but these results (using testmy.net just now) are somewhat erratic:

d.gif.dcc9baf85af182b30d239a1dc043d7c8.gif

I'm reaching the conclusion there there is no way to reliably test the throughput of a given connection.  Is 3BB wonky?  Is testmy.net not reliable?  Is PureVPN a whack job?  None of the above?  All of the above?

10 hours ago, wpcoe said:

@TallGuyJohninBKK:  I originally got into discovering VPNs when I had True and it made a big difference in overseas speeds to use a Singapore server.  However, I found it hasn't made much of a difference with my current 3BB ADSL.

Hey, the wonky VPN behavior continues from my opening post.  I had intended to show that using PureVPN's Singapore server basically had no effect on my 3BB ADSL, which in the past was shown, but these results (using testmy.net just now) are somewhat erratic:

d.gif.dcc9baf85af182b30d239a1dc043d7c8.gif

I'm reaching the conclusion there there is no way to reliably test the throughput of a given connection.  Is 3BB wonky?  Is testmy.net not reliable?  Is PureVPN a whack job?  None of the above?  All of the above?

3BB limits Singapore connections at 10Mbit usually so using a singapore vpn for 18 mbit may not make much difference.

They tend to limit much less if you have more expensive packages like 200/50 fiber.

I get 20 mbit on a single connection in my 50/20 vdsl, sometimes they limit it to 10 mbit but if I disconnect/reconnect I get 20 mbit again.

In a more real-world test, when torrent downloading using 3BB, it maxes out at ~14 Mbps with a well-seeded torrent usually staying between 11 to 12.5 Mbps.

Downloading using TMN rarely reaches 8 Mbps except when a Thailand seed starts uploading, then the download can soar to over 24 Mbps.

I use Express VPN not cheap but very fast abd excellent suport.

I was having difficulty with geographical access of Amazon Prime, they try to block VPN's, contacted customer service and they advised which server to use, Denver, then no problem. Speed is never an issue.

I usually use H.K. and Ookla for speed test.

59 minutes ago, gwynt said:

I use Express VPN not cheap but very fast abd excellent suport.

I was having difficulty with geographical access of Amazon Prime, they try to block VPN's,

That's odd. I've never had any issues with Amazon Prime, nor have I heard of them doing any focused blocking efforts.

Netflix and Hulu yes. But AP has never caused any complications for me. And I don't use Express VPN.

On 4/27/2017 at 7:20 PM, muratremix said:

Just buy a $5 usd digitalocean vps. Install openvpn with nyr script or something, and use it. Then you can trust it :)

Sounds interesting how would a "Computer For Dummies" failure go about this in the language of the elderly. Feel free to PM me. Where would one buy this digitalocean vps. 

40 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Sounds interesting how would a "Computer For Dummies" failure go about this in the language of the elderly. Feel free to PM me. Where would one buy this digitalocean vps. 

https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing/#droplet

$5 usd / month.

signup, add money via paypal (5 usd for 1 month), create droplet (cheapest one) in Singapore location, choose ubuntu 14 32 bit for OS.

learn how to ssh (connect to vps via terminal) first (putty is free)

follow steps in here

https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

Download client.ovpn file via sftp protocol (using root login and password)

copy client.ovpn file to

C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config

voila.

or send vps ip, root login via PM to me if you can't do it by yourself.

I'll do it for free (takes 5 minutes only)

I'm off to Beijing next week, and knowing that FB and social media won't work due to Chinese blocks, I thought time to consider a VPN. A friend in Oz recommended Betternet.. Free with minimal ads, or can pay for a premium service. I would presume that the freebie could be extremely slow depending on the server locations. But the premium would offer more choices for faster speeds, and location choices so I could stream from Oz or US sites etc. which isn't an option with the free option... Anyone knowledgeable give me some feedback. Would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.. 

4 hours ago, owenm said:

I'm off to Beijing next week, and knowing that FB and social media won't work due to Chinese blocks, I thought time to consider a VPN. A friend in Oz recommended Betternet.. Free with minimal ads, or can pay for a premium service. I would presume that the freebie could be extremely slow depending on the server locations. But the premium would offer more choices for faster speeds, and location choices so I could stream from Oz or US sites etc. which isn't an option with the free option... Anyone knowledgeable give me some feedback. Would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.. 

You need shadowsocks installed for bypassing great fireWALL of china.

Shadowsocks can be installed again in Singapore vps or if you need more speed: Hong Hong vps.

There are tutorials for this.