how to say thank you?let people out ?

Joinaman

I often give acknowledgement when someone gives way, when they have right of way. This often happens at t-junctions where cars coming onto the main road really have no chance at all of getting onto the main road. When traffic is slow, I'd say one in 10 drivers will slop and let me out onto the main road. Otherwise, I need to eek my way out onto the road until they cannot pass. Most seem ok with that also. I always try to acknowledge a bit of kindness on the road. 

...try pushing your way out into traffic in Australia...."Right of way" is taken literally and most don't like their rights being taken away....even if it's not at all practical.

Edited by DavisH

A  long nod of the head, like a wai without the hands.

Whether they can see you through the windscreens is another matter.

Doesn't happen much here, seems they go out of their way to block you off or not give way.

9 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

Being shot by a passing motorist is not in my opinion "being bullied" 

No it's not, but a driver coming up the wrong side of the road and flashing his lights telling you to get out of his way is bullying at it's worst.

Nobody bullies me and I don't let them know in some way is just not going to happen.

20 hours ago, krabi local said:

In the U.K. Flashing headlights means the same as here in Thailand, basically a warning 'I am here' in the same way you might use your horn.

Though not all of its rules represent law, the Highway Code states "Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users". Drivers warning others about speed traps have been fined in the past for "misuse of headlights".

Headlight flashing in the United Kingdom is often used as a signal that the driver flashing you is offering to let you go first. Such use is however strongly discouraged because it can lead to accidents where the driver flashing has not seen the approach of another road user.Using it to indicate that you are coming through and the other driver must wait, could lead to an accident.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

We do it all the time at home, giving a flash to tell someone its ok to pass, or go etc. But i think it says,or used to say, that the flashing of lights to allow someone to proceed, i courteous but must not be taken as gospel. Its a thing about giving another driver an order. It like they stopped people from putting back window lights in their cars that worked off the brake pedal. The word 'stop' cam e up and it was deemed that they were disallowed due to it being a car giving another car an order, But it seemed that in the USA these lights were accepted.I lived there for many years and saw these lights in the rear windows on many cars.

Refusing to become the same mentality as the local population on this issue drives me to acknowledge all road users when they have moved over or let me out etc. Maybe 2 people have responded in kind with a noticable gesture in 8 years, the rest not even a blink of the eyes including more than a few falangs. That not being the point, I just feel you live to your own standards so I will continue to make the acknowledgments, always have and always will

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

On 4/28/2017 at 11:50 AM, Coremouse said:

Common Thai folks actually drive politely...

Do you live in the same Thailand as I do?

Daily ...many times daily, I find Thai drivers stopped inside that crossed yellow box painted on the road that means do NOT stop inside. I then cannot pass through it making my turn. I have to wait, wait, wait until that idiot is out of the way and manage to force my way through. As if 10 meters further forward to stop and block other traffic actually gets them to their destination quicker. Morons the lot of them.

Also daily when trying to cross the road hardly any driver will slow down or stop to let me use a zebra crossing. Even those that have lights are ignored as they charge forward on their quest to knock a pedestrian (thought of as a lower class citizen) over hopefully killing them but getting away with it. Zebra crossings at traffic controlled crossroads are always filled with motorcycles waiting for green making crossing extremely difficult.

POLITE....you gotta be joking. The rudest people behind a wheel worldwide. Another #1 for Thailand to be proud of.

Edited by Keesters

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

Do you live in the same Thailand as I do?

Daily ...many times daily, I find Thai drivers stopped inside that crossed yellow box painted on the road that means do NOT stop inside. I then cannot pass through it making my turn. I have to wait, wait, wait until that idiot is out of the way and manage to force my way through. As if 10 meters further forward to stop and block other traffic actually gets them to their destination quicker. Morons the lot of them.

Also daily when trying to cross the road hardly any driver will slow down or stop to let me use a zebra crossing. Even those that have lights are ignored as they charge forward on their quest to knock a pedestrian (thought of as a lower class citizen) over hopefully killing them but getting away with it. Zebra crossings at traffic controlled crossroads are always filled with motorcycles waiting for green making crossing extremely difficult.

POLITE....you gotta be joking. The rudest people behind a wheel worldwide. Another #1 for Thailand to be proud of.

In asian countries polite doesn't mean follow the rule like, if some guy on red traffic light but he *assumes* he clearly seeing no one else passing, even a policeman may ignore the traffic light. Also Thai folks love wasting time  and wait. 

Compare to chn, viet Thailand almost 300% more polite. Many drivers violate traffic code( which is a non-issue in local culture, convenience over rules ), but most will express some form of apologies( rich people in red plates excluded, mad bikers excluded ). 

Back countryside of china, I couldn't sleep well because 24 hours every car horns. Everyone have tense fighting aura around them, small accident leads in all cases to literally violence.

Recent in my home a guy broke another's spine, because he thinks his Benz have mighty parking priority. Now the young victim's body disabled for lifelong, just because his car arrived 3s earlier than that Benz. 

Night driving back china especially nightmare, as deterioted roads forever on maintenance. Continuous unstopping horns. Everycar on high beams, plus many trucks fitted with REAR HIGH BEAMS. 

Edited by Coremouse