Loud Neighbors! What to do?

miraz16

Really .... Really ...

Many many years ago we filed a complaint at the Chalong Police station. The desk police sergent put his gun on the desk and said .... this is the way we Thai's solve property problems. Offered me his gun to 'solve' our complaint. For me this is 'jungle' law.

Really, seriously!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Really .... Really ...

Many many years ago we filed a complaint at the Chalong Police station. The desk police sergent put his gun on the desk and said .... this is the way we Thai's solve property problems. Offered me his gun to 'solve' our complaint. For me this is 'jungle' law.

Many many years ago might be the first clue here. Many, many years ago a lot of things happened. Considering my wife's last regional department was Yala (city in an insurgency), I think she has experienced her fair share of 'jungle' law and is qualified to speak on if a neighbour dispute about dogs and kids is really that dangerous or not. Although when I went to Yala, naturally I had to take the necessary precautions and would not make a complaint lol. But I don't live in Yala, as the OP I don't think does either.

1 minute ago, wildewillie89 said:

Many many years ago might be the first clue here. Many, many years ago a lot of things happened. Considering my wife's last regional department was Yala (city in an insurgency), I think she has experienced her fair share of 'jungle' law and is qualified to speak on if a neighbour dispute about dogs and kids is really that dangerous or not. Although when I went to Yala, naturally I had to take the necessary precautions and would not make a complaint lol. But I don't live in Yala, as the OP I don't think does either.

About 13 years ago .... here in Chalong, Phuket

Edited by LivinginKata

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

About 13 years ago .... here in Chalong, Phuket

A couple of years ago in Yala I had a table of guys make a phone call. Within seconds I was told by my Muslim friends we were leaving the restaurant mid meal after she informed the table I was working with them. The phone call was naturally to approve a playtime with the Westerner. I understand the dangers of some places in Thailand but this thread case does not warrant danger lol.

It seems that copper was more just showing his macho self, rather than implying anything. As if you did take the law into your own hands the exact same policemen would be signing you into the cell book lol

Seem to be a lot of backboneless wimps here. Move, move, move is all they can say. Well I've had the same problem and won. Police, other neighbors, Public health are all on your side if you handle it right. Stand up for your rights. You have permission to stay in Thailand that does not mean you have to eat s**t.

Really, seriously!

In Phuket, yes!

Unrelated to the noise subject, but in the course of living and working in Phuket for 17 years, I had 2 Thai staff shot dead (no police investigation), and last year I had to rapidly leave the island after the local, armed drug dealers came looking for me (they were under the mistaken impression that I had shopped them up to the main police).

Oh, the local police would not help - they were the best customers of the drug dealers.

Violence is the easy and cheap way to solve a problem in Phuket, with minimal risk of repercussions from the police.

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

Seem to be a lot of backboneless wimps here. Move, move, move is all they can say. Well I've had the same problem and won. Police, other neighbors, Public health are all on your side if you handle it right. Stand up for your rights. You have permission to stay in Thailand that does not mean you have to eat s**t.

5555 stand up for your rights 55555. Win an argument then wait for your car/house to be burnt down over a silly little niggle but hey you stood up for your rights. No where to live now or no car to drive but you won the argument. That will make things better.

Or if renting move problem solved.

If a house owner slowly and non confrontational aproach over a few months will usually do the trick. Involve the police and you may as well just move. Better the head man and neighbour over a few bottles of chang.

Remember a few thais mught agree with you to start but when push comes to shove you will be on your own.

There are two Russian families staying (illegally as they are here for less than 30 days) in my apartment complex at the moment- they have no consideration for others. The 6 children are running around screaming and shouting all day.

I am not on holiday- this is my home so I expect a certain standard of communal living. People bought the apartments here on the premise that it was a RESIDENTIAL, not COMMERCIAL property and their quality of life has been eroded. Most of the original buyers have sold out and moved on- I can't blame them. The owners here now are only after as much (illegal) rental income that they can accumulate.

Any comment made to the parents just brings blank stares and muttering in Russian.

Apartment staff will do nothing- my only consolation is that they will be gone soon.

People these days have little consideration for the lives of others- think of the person next to you on their smartphone playing games, listening to music, etc. Unfortunately this is not going to change.

Part of the reason I will never buy in Thailand is you never know what will happen next door.

I think a lot of people on here like to either exaggerate or try and make Thailand look a lot worse than it actually is. Maybe it fulfils some insecurities over masculinity, maybe you hear some bullshit stories from half drunk expats at the local bar, who knows. But having travelled to the insurgency down south. Having family who are mayors, public health official, high position army and police I get a good feel of what risks I am taking when approaching different situations. For example, I was lectured by the army before going into Yala. My uncle is boss of police in my city who I see regularly.

Tackling an issue on a few dogs barking has the least risk out of anything you can do in Thailand. Some of these comments are almost laughable. Unless you're so unlucky to have a gangster living next door (which you would know already most likely), then it is really a non-issue. If all of these stories were true my wife and her staff would have all been dead years ago and our house would be burnt down already haha. 

31 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think a lot of people on here like to either exaggerate or try and make Thailand look a lot worse than it actually is. Maybe it fulfils some insecurities over masculinity, maybe you hear some bullshit stories from half drunk expats at the local bar, who knows. But having travelled to the insurgency down south. Having family who are mayors, public health official, high position army and police I get a good feel of what risks I am taking when approaching different situations. For example, I was lectured by the army before going into Yala. My uncle is boss of police in my city who I see regularly.

Tackling an issue on a few dogs barking has the least risk out of anything you can do in Thailand. Some of these comments are almost laughable. Unless you're so unlucky to have a gangster living next door (which you would know already most likely), then it is really a non-issue. If all of these stories were true my wife and her staff would have all been dead years ago and our house would be burnt down already haha. 

Given your influential family connections then it's no surprise to me that you would never have 'trouble' with the local Thais.

14 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Given your influential family connections then it's no surprise to me that you would never have 'trouble' with the local Thais.

The point is that if it was really like this then my wife would have seen it down South, she would have seen it in Central and North East Thai also (in more recent times). The fact is that it is an incredibly small percentage of cases that would turn into some sort of violent revenge. So to not act out of fear  is 'crazy' in her words, and how 'miserable' must their lives be moving all the time. This is a dog barking not a political motive, (she has got bullet holes in her office from the last person who was in there), but that was political, not nuisance. 

1 hour ago, wildewillie89 said:

The point is that if it was really like this then my wife would have seen it down South, she would have seen it in Central and North East Thai also (in more recent times). The fact is that it is an incredibly small percentage of cases that would turn into some sort of violent revenge. So to not act out of fear  is 'crazy' in her words, and how 'miserable' must their lives be moving all the time. This is a dog barking not a political motive, (she has got bullet holes in her office from the last person who was in there), but that was political, not nuisance. 

But we are not in Central or NE Thailand. We are in Phuket and we all know it's not like 'typical' Thailand with smiling Thais. Here it's all about making money, and more money ... I've lived here for almost 21 years now, a business owner with WP.  We have properties in 3 different areas, I have to treat the 'neighbours' carefully. I know the power they have to make trouble for me and my Thai wife. I have had a loaded gun pointed at me by a crazed on yabah local, plenty of my guests have been assulted by Tuk Tuk drivers down on Bangla, perhaps they brought it on themselves through too much drink. 

My point it that here in Phuket we all need to walk carefully ... it's for sure not typical rural Thailand.

Edited by LivinginKata

1 hour ago, LivinginKata said:

But we are not in Central or NE Thailand. We are in Phuket and we all know it's not like 'typical' Thailand with smiling Thais. Here it's all about making money, and more money ... I've lived here for almost 21 years now, a business owner with WP.  We have properties in 3 different areas, I have to treat the 'neighbours' carefully. I know the power they have to make trouble for me and my Thai wife. I have had a loaded gun pointed at me by a crazed on yabah local, plenty of my guests have been assulted by Tuk Tuk drivers down on Bangla, perhaps they brought it on themselves through too much drink. 

My point it that here in Phuket we all need to walk carefully ... it's for sure not typical rural Thailand.

Yes, it is not typical rural Thailand, but I agree with willie, and think that you (and others) are way, way overdoing it.

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Phuket isn't all that far from Bangkok in terms of neighbourhood relations (if the above mentioned is indeed your definition of neighbourhood relations).

The South is even more extreme in theory as it can be a whole race/political insurgency between neighbours. North East was Korat (the predicted next capital of the country by many). So in 7 years now of everyday nuisance cases all around the country, with constant training all over the country (including Phuket a few times a year), surely you're not trying to tell me a few isolated stories, that may or may not be true, is a better understanding. 

We also stay in Phuket with her police uncle in Krabi (the mothers side). Maybe not main city Phuket but naturally work conversations come up. I believe you are just massively over reacting to the actual potential threat...which is considered extremely rare. By all means be polite/intelligent how you handle it, but moving is a last resort, not the first resort. 

Not to mention if you live in a populated area (which seems your implication as 'rural' was discussed), and you go through municipality processes, you do know you have an anonymous option yeah? So unless youre claiming the neighbour is going to kill the 30 odd neighbours around him on a spree in the hope he gets the one who complained lol

Edited by wildewillie89

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes, it is not typical rural Thailand, but I agree with willie, and think that you (and others) are way, way overdoing it.

You doubting me Steven.  We have met in person years ago. Why do you want to understate. ...

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Phuket isn't all that far from Bangkok in terms of neighbourhood relations (if the above mentioned is indeed your definition of neighbourhood relations).

The South is even more extreme in theory as it can be a whole race/political insurgency between neighbours. North East was Korat (the predicted next capital of the country by many). So in 7 years now of everyday nuisance cases all around the country, with constant training all over the country (including Phuket a few times a year), surely you're not trying to tell me a few isolated stories, that may or may not be true, is a better understanding. 

We also stay in Phuket with her police uncle in Krabi (the mothers side). Maybe not main city Phuket but naturally work conversations come up. I believe you are just massively over reacting to the actual potential threat...which is considered extremely rare. By all means be polite/intelligent how you handle it, but moving is a last resort, not the first resort. 

Phuket is considered South Thailand. Far far away from Bangkok.

I knew I should never have entered into this topic. My initial post was 'if renting then just move on'

For sure it would be worth trying a friendly discussion using Thai mediation with local people. Bringing in the police/officials would be a bad idea. Resorting to counter action would be a disaster.

For the OP - I don't know what deposit you paid. But if you are so distressed then just take the financial hit, move, and try to get a better location.

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

Just curious, have you ever gone to the Chalong Police for help? They are pretty useless unless you pay them to do their job. I'd rather talk with the neighbors and the landlord to work it out. It's quiet at my house again after everyone said to the one neighbor; your dogs are really annoying us. I told her off two years ago, but lately everyone else was being bothered too. Many Thais are great at getting dogs, but most don't have a clue how to train them or take care of them. Some are pretty clueless about taking cars of their kids too. One of my landlords great grandsons died in the lagoon at Nai Harn last year. Probably why they are finally doing something to hopefully keep it from happening again to yet another family. 

11 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Phuket is considered South Thailand. Far far away from Bangkok.

I knew I should never have entered into this topic. My initial post was 'if renting then just move on'

For sure it would be worth trying a friendly discussion using Thai mediation with local people. Bringing in the police/officials would be a bad idea. Resorting to counter action would be a disaster.

For the OP - I don't know what deposit you paid. But if you are so distressed then just take the financial hit, move, and try to get a better location.

I think you misunderstood haha. It isn't that far from Bangkok neighbourhood relations means that it is a booming city with city type personalities....it doesn't mean it is not far in terms of geographic locations. So your claim that it is more dangerous must imply that you are also claiming it is much more dangerous that down town Bangkok in terms of neighbour disputes....which is just not true.

How do I know? As all government officials do training together each year. So they go to each other's cities and train. If it was as dangerous as you claim, then my wife would know about this the couple times a year she does re-training in Phuket. Her Phuket colleagues would tell her that they are limited due to dangerous revenge, but they do not. Why? Because people do not kill/burn your house over a dog barking on the most part, they kill over something worth killing for. It is back to idea that Thai people are from the 'jungle'.  

Have a diplomatic conversation. If it doesnt resolve anything, make an anonymous complaint to the the public health director, who should investigate the nuisance if they are any good at their job. Anonymous means the person will never know that it is you who complained (so why is it a bad idea in your so populated area, could have been tens of people who complained). Your claims must imply that the person will literally burn down the whole street and kill everyone in revenge...that is how ridiculous your fear is. 

Seriously, moving is your response to everything? Why bother living in Thailand....

Edited by wildewillie89

With renting you are just as likely to be cheated out of a bond  by a expat if they can, its not only Thai's, they are quick learners and follow the example set by some farangs

If you have a problem with neighbors, talking to them politely will usually sort out any problems

This is Thailand and belongs to the Thai's which a lot of farangs do not seem to be able to understand, you are just guests in the country if not a Thai citizen/national

Demanding anything will get you nowhere, which is the same in every other country not just Thailand

If you are going to rent discuss the situation concerning rent and holding deposits with the landlord of the property and make sure they understand under what conditions they can withhold some or all of the deposit,normal wear and tear of fittings and appliances is not a item that can be deducted from a deposit, but some landlords will try to make it a deduction, so make sure you sort this out before renting, if anyone cheats you there are plenty of ways to make them regret doing it

Owning your own house or condo usually stops you having these sorts of problems if you are careful where you buy which includes checking out your neighbors and local area before hand

Just do the same if you intend to rent and you usually will not have problems and be prepared to pay a reasonable rent to live in a better area with better neighbors, especially if your neighbors are foreigners/farangs who seem to like setting of fireworks at all hours of the night and motorbikes with noisy exhausts

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

<snip>

Seriously, moving is your response to everything? Why bother living in Thailand....

It's my response to the OP if he finds the situation intolerable. Can happen to anyone unlucky enough to have a noisy neighbour. Fortunately I have never had that problem in 21 years living here in Phuket.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:39 PM, LivinginKata said:

You doubting me Steven.  We have met in person years ago. Why do you want to understate. ...

Not doubting you, just think you are overdoing it with statements like this " We are in Phuket and we all know it's not like 'typical' Thailand with smiling Thais. Here it's all about making money, and more money ... I've lived here for almost 21 years now, a business owner with WP.  We have properties in 3 different areas, I have to treat the 'neighbours' carefully. I know the power they have to make trouble for me and my Thai wife. "

On 02/05/2017 at 0:17 PM, LivinginKata said:

It's my response to the OP if he finds the situation intolerable. Can happen to anyone unlucky enough to have a noisy neighbour. Fortunately I have never had that problem in 21 years living here in Phuket.

Exactly right. 21 years living here and no problems...so I don't understand how on one hand you're going on about how unrealisticly dangerous the place is, and now you're going about how you haven't had problems in 21 years. 

Surely if it was as bad as you said, whether you complained or not you would have had some nuisance related issues. The fact of the matter is that there are many nuisance cases, but not many cases about revenge to nuisance complaints. 

So instead of instilling irrational fear into all of the readers, just say, hey I have lived here for 21 years with no threats. Just politely talk to the neighbours, if that doesn't work anonymously complain. Rather than, you will die if you complain so just move!

On 5/2/2017 at 1:47 AM, Jimi007 said:

Just curious, have you ever gone to the Chalong Police for help? They are pretty useless unless you pay them to do their job. I'd rather talk with the neighbors and the landlord to work it out. It's quiet at my house again after everyone said to the one neighbor; your dogs are really annoying us. I told her off two years ago, but lately everyone else was being bothered too. Many Thais are great at getting dogs, but most don't have a clue how to train them or take care of them. Some are pretty clueless about taking cars of their kids too. One of my landlords great grandsons died in the lagoon at Nai Harn last year. Probably why they are finally doing something to hopefully keep it from happening again to yet another family. 

Going to the police first is generally not considered the correct process so it would be 'useless'. You don't go to the police in a developed country about a dog barking, you go to the municipality (as you do with most nuisance cases). The police are far too lazy to investigate such issues. Thailand is no different, the police only become involved at a later date when the government official tells them to issue the fine, as the municipality staff do not have the power to do that (they can only give an official warning). There isn't really local laws like in Western countries, the laws stream down from Bangkok and are the same everywhere. It is a silly system, but I guess the idea is to try and keep corruption out by not giving district and sub-districts fine powers. Fines can be hefty for Thai people, hence, why the official process can work very successfully. A dog barking that is costing you 500 plus baht on a daily basis will soon, out of nowhere, stop barking. But generally, it is sorted among the neighbours (like in most countries), before it needs to reach a complaint.  

2 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Going to the police first is generally not considered the correct process so it would be 'useless'. You don't go to the police in a developed country about a dog barking, you go to the municipality (as you do with most nuisance cases). The police are far too lazy to investigate such issues. Thailand is no different, the police only become involved at a later date when the government official tells them to issue the fine, as the municipality staff do not have the power to do that (they can only give an official warning). There isn't really local laws like in Western countries, the laws stream down from Bangkok and are the same everywhere. It is a silly system, but I guess the idea is to try and keep corruption out by not giving district and sub-districts fine powers. Fines can be hefty for Thai people, hence, why the official process can work very successfully. A dog barking that is costing you 500 plus baht on a daily basis will soon, out of nowhere, stop barking. But generally, it is sorted among the neighbours (like in most countries), before it needs to reach a complaint.  

I was asking Stevenl as he lives around here and was curious if he had any dealings with them.

As I said before I talked to my neighbors and our landlord, and the dogs are much quieter.

I don't go to the Chalong Police unless I don't really have a choice. Like when some punk drug dealer stole one of my motorbikes as he thought it was my ex's... 

But you seem to think you're somehow more Thai than the rest of us who have lived in Phuket for a decade or more. You do seem to have some good connections as do I. Even one of the most senior Phuket Immigration Officers came out of his office and wiped the wet seats off outside as he said hello. I keep my head under the radar and really never have had any major issues with anyone. Most of the old Thais around my town know me and my wife and are very helpful at times. The Deputy Or Bor Tor took my car to get reupholstered for us, my  neighbor is one of the head Civil Defense guys, he took my car to get body work. My wife doesn't drive, and they all said I would get over charged. Another neighbor ordered a new car battery delivered and it was way cheaper than I paid for the same one. My mechanic is totally a cool guy as I've known him for many years. Even my barber changes me the Thai price. But I've found that things are a bit different in Phuket than up in Sa Kaeo where my wife is from and I visit. Or in many other parts of the country where I visit friends and family... 

Edited by Jimi007
typo

The only other suggestion I can give to people with this issue is: Thailand is a patriarchal society. Use it to your advantage. Thais do not listen to invaders like us. LOL.

Find out who the village headman is (Yes, all neighbourhoods have one), bring a big basket of goodies. If not a muslim, a bottle of JW. Sit on the floor, explain the situation in a calm, almost pastoral manner and ask for help.

It works wonders. You show anger to the kanman, you lose the entire battle.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:18 PM, miraz16 said:

There is a one year lease in effect, with 10 months left. Can't just pick up and move unfortunately. 

Have the owner talk with his neighbors. Give the owner 90 days notice that if the problem isn't resolved you are breaking the lease.

Also give a copy to the Village Chief. You probably will lose your deposit, but he won't be able to sue you. Lesson learned check out the

neighbors before you move in. Visit the house at 9AM 3PM 7PM 10PM on different days including weekends. Have your GF, wife

talk with the neighbors without you around. Your fault for not doing your homework. Pick a nicer neighborhood, the quality of your neighbors will go up. I've been renting the same house for 10 years+ in Korat and occasionally you might have problems, but

overall great experience living in Thailand.

I was asking Stevenl as he lives around here and was curious if he had any dealings with them.

As I said before I talked to my neighbors and our landlord, and the dogs are much quieter.

Agree Jimi, talk to the neighbors, and if that does not work try to get others in the neighborhood involved, much better than going to the police.

And I'm thinking. but can't recall going to Chalong police station except to file a complains about non payment of guests (received a police report I took to their hotel, which did the trick, only charge was 20 Baht for some photocopies), and to report loss of a wallet, also no issues.

I don't go to any police station unless I have no choice, when I had to so far found Chalong police ok.