Makita N5900B Circular Saw Question.

Formaleins

Sorry, but not sure which forum to post this in.

I am thinking of buying the Makita N5900B Circular saw from an online seller, however, looking through all of the info on this saw, even on Makita's own specification pages, I cannot find any info on the Arbour size!

If anyone owns this saw I would be grateful if they could let me know is it - 30mm, could it be 25.4mm (That is the supplied blade - but is this with a reducer ring?) or is it 25.0mm.

Really surprised that such basic info is missing from a company like Makita, and it isn't just Makita Thailand, Australia, New Zealand and the USA sites do not state this basic size.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs!

Thanks for that - You would not believe the different web pages for Makita I have browsed and not one of them had that information.

Good to finally get an answer, thanks for your help.

I have a much older model (can't remember offhand the model number) which I bought back in the '80s. Similar power and size blade, but with a 25.4 mm bore. Fantastic piece of kit. Still going strong, never had a problem with it. And it's been used professionally for much of that time. It was manufactured in Japan, but the last Makita tool I bought (½" router, a couple of years ago) was made in China. I think their QC is good, though. Not had a problem with the router to date.

Makita is, to my mind (as a professional carpenter) one of the best brand power tools available.

The OP should be very happy with his Makita N5900B 235mm circular saw. I bought this model for my brother in law and he has raved about the quality difference and power from a previous brand he bought in Buriram. I paid 4490 baht in person at a Makita dealer in March 2017 in Buriram. It might be cheaper on line but I wanted to buy from a store where my Brother in law could test the model and compare it to the Metabo saw, Bosch circular saw and DeWALT saw they had in stock. 

Buriram Makita N5900B Circular Saw Thailand.JPG

Well, not all was how it seemed after all!

The Makita saw turned up today and it had neither the 30mm or the 24.5mm arbour. I comes shipped with a 20 tooth rip blade on a 25mm arbour!

So luckily I didn't order 30mm-24.5mm bushings, now I need to do another 80 mile round trip to get a 25mm to 24.5mm bushing.

Talking to the guy at Makita today and he seems to think that the 30mm arbour is an international or maybe European spec, but all of the Thai saws are 25mm (or 24.5 as he measured it)

Anyway, the blade that comes with it is a terrible beast ands is a true 25mm, probably rip your limbs off at 20 yards, the 20 tooth carbide rip blade is anything but subtle.

Will see if I can get the 25mm-24.5mm bushing tomorrow. (I seriously doubt that there even is a 25mm to 24.5mm bushing, maybe good luck I ordered COD, they can take it back if it doesn't fit!)

Edited by Formaleins

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:17 PM, kamalabob2 said:

The OP should be very happy with his Makita N5900B 235mm circular saw. I bought this model for my brother in law and he has raved about the quality difference and power from a previous brand he bought in Buriram. I paid 4490 baht in person at a Makita dealer in March 2017 in Buriram. It might be cheaper on line but I wanted to buy from a store where my Brother in law could test the model and compare it to the Metabo saw, Bosch circular saw and DeWALT saw they had in stock. 

Buriram Makita N5900B Circular Saw Thailand.JPG

It is a nice saw, agreed, but there are drawbacks (mainly due to me) not easy using it if you are a left hander for one thing, and Jesus this thing is heavy, but by God it eats wood like butter. Very nice saw, should last years. Just waiting for my last purchase to turn up - The Makita RPC2301FC Router, long time since I used one of those machines. Must be 20 years since I last laid hands on an old Bosch plunger.