Ton of trash collected in beach clean-up off Phuket

rooster59

Ton of trash collected in beach clean-up off Phuket

Kongleaphy Keam

1_2017429131431343_klqujOAOZiLLmTlTgAkBQsRfkMJffckPObKypKMO_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: About a ton of trash was collected in a beach clean-up organized by Nonthasak Marine Co Ltd at Hei Island (Coral Island) this morning.

More than a 100 people, including students from Prince of Songkla University (Phuket Campus); volunteer divers; local vendors and operators; and employees of Nonthasak Marine, participated in the initiative.

The campaign involved both beach trash and underwater trash collection. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Ton-trash-collected-beach-cleanup-off-Phuket/66531?desktopversion#ad-image-5

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-04-29

Waiting for the day when the government does a huge advertising campaign educating its citizens to take pride and not litter their seas and countryside....for the department of education to teach the future of Thailand in schools to NOT pollute....and for monks to also take a pro-active stand in emphasizing to respect nature and not litter. (Note: I have also participated cleaning up beaches in Thailand but this will not prevent the "clueless" ting-tongs from continuing throwing their bags of trash into the sea or locals leaving their foam cartons or plastic litter laying around. )

1 hour ago, toenail said:

Waiting for the day when the government does a huge advertising campaign educating its citizens to take pride and not litter their seas and countryside....for the department of education to teach the future of Thailand in schools to NOT pollute....and for monks to also take a pro-active stand in emphasizing to respect nature and not litter. (Note: I have also participated cleaning up beaches in Thailand but this will not prevent the "clueless" ting-tongs from continuing throwing their bags of trash into the sea or locals leaving their foam cartons or plastic litter laying around. )

I agree , start with educating in schools with the future, the kids. Same time on tv for older Thai. Not only in Thailand but worldwide, as parents nowadays lack of educating their kids right about waste. 

However in Thailand (all Asia) there is not such a organized system of collecting garbage from Thai people. Maybe some in cities , but sure not outside cities and garbage only increased even in country sites, due to spreading goods around everywhere and ofcourse in plastic.

But Thailand is not the only country in Asia with those problems, same problem in Philipines (where i was swimming  with plastic, bohol i believe), Indonesia (Bali, which has an island of plastic around the island !) 

And what about those immense islands of plastic already floating now in the open oceans ! Consisting of millions of tons of plastic ! 

Tell me where that comes from and what to do about that !! From so called civilized countries? 

Dont point your finger only to Thailand, but feel better as they start to realize to do something about it. Not long ago there was a big island of plastic coming in the Thai Gulf and i believed they cleanend it !! Tons of it ! Great, coz probably it cost a lot to clean !!

There are also many ting tong aliens, who dont care and litter where ever they can. Tourists from all countries !!  

In the USA you have signs telling not to litter, so seems Americans like to litter. You can get even a big fine for littering. 

For those tourists , you could need enviromental police officers to fine those tourists. Ofcourse they can fine the Thai aswell.

I dont care , fine them big (instantly paying 10000 bath at an beachoffice) then they will learn hardway! Or let them clean the beach for half a day, they can choose or bring them to jail for a day. Hard but effective. Let them know by signs at the beach.  

You took your future garbage to the beach (ofcourse not only beach) , so get it out aswell. Maybe put some wastebaskets to collect when leaving the beach as a service?

I know not always effective, specilally when it is not emptied. I can see it here in my home town.

My mamma tought me when i was young (long time ago) and im still honoring her lessons nowadays. I hope, my kids do the same as i also thought them when they were young. When givng treats or drinks, collect all put it in bag, take it with you and throw it away in the garbage can. 

Just a matter of education, starting young

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

In the USA you have signs telling not to litter, so seems Americans like to litter. You can get even a big fine for littering. 

196 countries in the world and you have to bring in the US. What is it with people having to bash the US at every opportunity? Is it some sort of European hobby I don't know about. Why don't you just worry about the trash in The Netherlands?

7 minutes ago, bkkgriz said:

196 countries in the world and you have to bring in the US. What is it with people having to bash the US at every opportunity? Is it some sort of European hobby I don't know about. Why don't you just worry about the trash in The Netherlands?

A bit overly sensitive are we?

There are areas of trash in the oceans, and no country is making an effort to take care of this problem, except

they do not plow through the area with a shipping lane.  Patrol planes and satelites have images of these

large sized area. It is a shame  that  the countries won't tackle  this problem

Geezer

17 hours ago, toenail said:

It's coming I believe. 
If enough people complain on tripadvisor and FB and other media about the problem of garbage strewn around all over Thailand, the government will eventually get the drift and clean it up. 
Hopefully by educating the children first. 

The parents must know it's wrong. 

But society allows them to do it, and it's easier than putting their trash in a bin or dumpster. 
But when their children start pointing it out............will take a while I know..........but I do believe it's coming. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30-4-2017 at 1:35 PM, bkkgriz said:

As far as i know, USA is the only country with signs forbidding littering. So tells me Americans like to do so. Wouldnt be surprised if USA dump their millions tons of plastic in the oceans for a buck. Maybe you think USA is great, but i dont agree with that.