Cardio with a torn meniscus...

snowflake

Hi people, 

Last September i finaly had my meniscus operation. It was sucessful and i have been gradually getting stronger in my knee. BUT last saturday i jumped off a stage, not a tall stage, but like two stairs high, and i managed to hurt my knee again. The doctor said its torn again, he suggested another operation, but i want to wait. It does not hurt most of the time, but i feel i have to do some exersise... i wills tart lifting some weights, but i also need cardio. What can you guys suggest! I can not walk or run for long as the impact on my knees are to much. I am fat and very heavy.

Is biking the only thing i can do? If anyone has experience with biking and dogs, please let me know...

other suggestions are more then welcome...

ps, i have a pool, but i just dont get tired from swimming...

If you have access to a gym using a speedbag or light punching bag is good cardio which does not involve much knee flex. You can also try a recumbent bike with no resistance to see if your knee will allow that without much pain...if you feel pain then stop.

Hi people, 

Last September i finaly had my meniscus operation. It was sucessful and i have been gradually getting stronger in my knee. BUT last saturday i jumped off a stage, not a tall stage, but like two stairs high, and i managed to hurt my knee again. The doctor said its torn again, he suggested another operation, but i want to wait. It does not hurt most of the time, but i feel i have to do some exersise... i wills tart lifting some weights, but i also need cardio. What can you guys suggest! I can not walk or run for long as the impact on my knees are to much. I am fat and very heavy.

Is biking the only thing i can do? If anyone has experience with biking and dogs, please let me know...

other suggestions are more then welcome...

ps, i have a pool, but i just dont get tired from swimming...

Hi, Look up some U Tube aquaerobics.

In the major cities they may have Aquaaerobics classes, I know they used to in Pattaya.

Also (bit hard to find on Lazada, but Amazon US has some) aqua weights.

You can also get a flotation belt from Amazon.

The weights are shaped like normal dumbbells and made from foam.

So you get in the deep end, get your legs going and weight lifting.

You can also buy webbed gloves that increase the water resistance when you move your hands/arms.

A noodle is also good as you can do many leg and knee exercises by putting the noodle around you instep.

There are also aquaaerobics

bikes, but I haven't used them.

Install a TV near the pool, crank up the volume and play some Aquaaerobics videos. Great workout with minimal jaring.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Trouble with the meniscus, so the Dr. told me when I did mine, is there are no nerves in it, so you do the damage and tear it, maybe with a small twinge, but you keep going and do more damage.

Just now, carlyai said:

Trouble with the meniscus, so the Dr. told me when I did mine, is there are no nerves in it, so you do the damage and tear it, maybe with a small twinge, but you keep going and do more damage.

But you will feel pain as the surrounding tissues become inflamed and swollen

I tore my meniscus years ago and overdid it exercising on a stationary bike plus walking many miles. I started swimming to get a cardio workout and swimming is low impact on your joints. You should find a pool and swim as well as walk back and forth in the pool to exercise and strengthen your legs. I wouldn't overdo it and start out gradually and build up over time.

I rent a canoe at Q Sirikit or Lumpini and paddle for my outdoor exercise.  No impact loading, excellent scenery of the well toned female variety, and I'm on the water.  Win-win-win.  Rent is 40 baht for 30 minutes.

To be fair, I bring my own kayak paddle because the single blade rental paddles just don't do it for me, and I bring a folding chair (from Decathlon- the short ones at 400 baht or so) for back support.

I like the kayak idea, but far from me. Cant install a tv at the pool, but i will get in and try..

the pain when the knee gets really bad = cant do anything...there might not be nerves there, but the pain is real.. my problem is the stairs... they are hell on earth...

thanks for a few good ideas, i will try them out...

On 4/30/2017 at 9:03 AM, impulse said:

I rent a canoe at Q Sirikit or Lumpini and paddle for my outdoor exercise.  No impact loading, excellent scenery of the well toned female variety, and I'm on the water.  Win-win-win.  Rent is 40 baht for 30 minutes.

To be fair, I bring my own kayak paddle because the single blade rental paddles just don't do it for me, and I bring a folding chair (from Decathlon- the short ones at 400 baht or so) for back support.

You can rent a canoe at Lumpinee ? I have only seen the pedal boats with the goofy duckheads ....same location ?

7 hours ago, tonray said:

You can rent a canoe at Lumpinee ? I have only seen the pedal boats with the goofy duckheads ....same location ?

I've rented canoes from the same 2 locations on the big lake at Lumpini, and same one location at Q Sirikit.  

I'm not sure if they have canoes on the smaller lake at Lumpini, but it's too small anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

So, just and update. My knee has after 9 holes of golf not started to hurt. So I will be doing a lot more golf in the time that comes. I will also look for a proper fitness studio with machines that will "lock" the muscles that you are exercising. All I need is a  place that can take care of my baby boy while I am doing that...