Saudi Arabia arrests 46 suspects over 2016 Medina attack

webfact

Saudi Arabia arrests 46 suspects over 2016 Medina attack

REUTERS

r6.jpg

Muslims walk outside the Al-Masjid al-Nabawi (The Mosque of the Prophet) before the early morning prayer of al-Fajr in the holy city of Medina January 16, 2014. REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh/File Photo

DUBAI (Reuters) - Saudi Arabia said on Sunday it had arrested 46 members of a militant cell responsible for a deadly suicide bombing attack on the Prophet's Mosque in the holy city of Medina last summer that was blamed on Islamic State.

The suspects, which included foreign and Saudi citizens, were detained in the Western port city of Jeddah, state news agency SPA quoted the interior ministry as saying.

Three suicide bombers and two members of the security forces were killed in the unprecedented attack on the mosque and tomb of Islam's prophet Mohammed that is one of the religion's holiest sites.

There was no claim of responsibility for the attack nor did the interior ministry statement blame a specific group.

Islamic State, based in Iraq and Syria, has carried out a series of bombings and shootings in Saudi Arabia since mid-2014 killing scores of people, mostly members of the Shi'ite Muslim minority and security services.

It has vowed to uproot Gulf monarchies it accuses of being in the thrall of the West.

(Reporting by Noah Browning and Mostafa Hashem; Editing by Robin Pomeroy)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-01

19 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Soon to lose their heads.:ph34r:

yep ...   but do you notice how drugs are not rampant in Saudi and law and order is observed.  Not saying that things should be as strict in other countries but one has to conclude that laws for convicted rapists, drug addicts and pushers are far to lapsed in places like Australia, UK & US ,   hence why Australia is the drug & unemployment capital of south Asia I believe. imo

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

yep ...   but do you notice how drugs are not rampant in Saudi and law and order is observed.  Not saying that things should be as strict in other countries but one has to conclude that laws for convicted rapists, drug addicts and pushers are far to lapsed in places like Australia, UK & US ,   hence why Australia is the drug & unemployment capital of south Asia I believe. imo

you talk some BS  !    sharia law for the western world ?  get a grip of yourself

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

after working in saudi for 6 years I can say without qualification that it is an appalling shithole...give me a drug infested western country with it's criminal and miserable unemployed minions any day...

I was in Yanbu on the coast down the road from Madinah when the shooting happened and thought: 'uh oh...they're getting closer...' didn't really understand as western saudi is wahabbi sunni (as opposed to the eastern province that has a sizeable and restive shia minority that the monarchy pretends does not exist) and the jihadis are all salafist/wahabbi sunni so why would they terrorise a mosque in Madinah that is a monument to the prophet?...there was also a major disturbance at the Grand Mosque in Makkah during the hajj some years ago...

them muslims don't make no sense...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

28 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

you talk some BS  !    sharia law for the western world ?  get a grip of yourself

please read my comment again ...

Not saying that things should be as strict in other countries but one has to conclude that laws for convicted rapists, drug addicts and pushers are far to lapsed in places like Australia, UK & US

I didn't say sharia law was the solution .. I said current laws are too lapse ... :coffee1:

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

after working in saudi for 6 years I can say without qualification that it is an appalling shithole...give me a drug infested western country with it's criminal and miserable unemployed minions any day...

I was in Yanbu on the coast down the road from Madinah when the shooting happened and thought: 'uh oh...they're getting closer...' didn't really understand as western saudi is wahabbi sunni (as opposed to the eastern province that has a sizeable and restive shia minority that the monarchy pretends does not exist) and the jihadis are all salafist/wahabbi sunni so why would they terrorise a mosque in Madinah that is a monument to the prophet?...there was also a major disturbance at the Grand Mosque in Makkah during the hajj some years ago...

them muslims don't make no sense...

I suspect that their problem may have been with the tomb of Mohammed.  Wahabis are supposed to be against shrines of any sort on the grounds of idolatry (except i guess those few expressly authorized in the Koran) and the tomb of Mohammed and similar stuff could be considered as such. The Saudis are bent on pretty much destroying any and all ancient archaeological sites they come across in Mecca on the same grounds.