When foreigners think of Thailand they think of sex, say Thais

webfact

4 minutes ago, pentap said:

Every country has a reputation of sorts, Thailand is no different from any other country when it comes to that sort of thing.

It is a well known fact, the world over, that Thailand is a sex hub and probably the biggest in the world, with open corruption ranking as one of the worst places in the world!

As mentioned previously, foreigners being considered the cause of the sex industry makes me uneasy. Thailand is a place for easy sex, which has been manifested by the Thais and not by foreigners!

As always, money speaks loud here. Compassion, respect for one another including law and order is thin on the ground. Greed for money is what makes them tick and they will do what ever they can in order to obtaining it. So it's no wonder they have exploited the sex industry to the fullest until it has become what it is today. Seedy. Dangerous. Filthy. Unlawful and so on. T.I.T I'm sad to say.

Sodom and Gomorrah spring to mind!

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand and yet it is available very easily. It's everywhere. We all know !

Makes me angry to think that foreigners are being made to blame for the mess that they, foreigners, are not responsible for.

I read a report which stated that more Thai males are actively involved in prostitution, pimping, human sex slave trafficking and under aged sex, within Thailand, than that of foreigners.

Says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Nobody blamed anybody for anything. They just asked some random Thais about their impressions on what foreigners think of Thailand.  The percentage of random people from anywhere in the world would probably come up the same.

A better and more telling question would have been what Thais think of foreigners in general. This would be more interesting than what Thai people think foreigners think of Thailand.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

I think I read in the tourism strain article one minister came up with some figure like one fifth of the Thai economy. These statistics tend to change substantially depending on the day and what point one is trying to prove at the time.

True, a lot of official statistics and numbers seem to be very elastic for the last few years.

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Get Real I am struggling to understand what you are saying here, can you try again in English mate please

Thanks mate

"English mate please Thanks mate" Does that sound perfect to you?

But, please, don´t struggle. You actually have a choice to just leave it alone. Maybe makes you have a better day.

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

"English mate please Thanks mate" Does that sound perfect to you?

But, please, don´t struggle. You actually have a choice to just leave it alone. Maybe makes you have a better day.

Yes mate its perfect

Can you try again in English Mate Please

Thanks mate

There is A PT in there if you can find it

If not forget it and have a nice evening

Obviously the polls are made by people intending to influence other people and create discontent and anger in society.  Which in response is directed towards the tourists.

One of my duties decades ago was helping to develop polls, surveys, and questionaires for a non-profit organization. I was taught that the objective was to determine how to design them in a way where the results will give you only what you want to make people believe. Which is the purpose of these propaganda tools and rarely do they contain realistic results. For what purpose the results will be used is the main objective.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I always think about Beer Chang, an abundance of food - some tasty and some not so tasty - beaches partially covered in horse manure, gorgeous sunsets and discarded rubbish lining streets, roads, pathways, etc., food vendors picking their noses, combining their hair or clipping their nails in their place of work and last, but not least, taxi drivers driving like idiots - zipzagging through traffic and never bothering to use indicators. 

Love it! 

On 5/1/2017 at 3:11 PM, Hutch68 said:

This is true the majority of tourists come here to shag.

I'm not sure you understand the meaning of the word 'majority'. 

Is Thailand a sex tourist desitination ? Yes it is

Is Thailand known for being a sex destination ? Yes it is  

Do the majority of tourists to Thailand engage in the sex industry ? Of course not, that's completely naive. It's families, couples, backpackers, and increasingly Chinese & Russion jetsetters. Open your eyes. 

Letters not get confused it says the people who talk about Thailand think about sex. Most people around the world are aware of it.

Many of those people would never even think to come here, but they probably think firstly that thailand is a place many people go to for sex tourism.

I know that some English people tell me they would not bring the children here because they are worried what they might see.

We are made painfully aware of these people, we do not notice the people in quietly come here and have holidays and travel around and do other things.

Sent from my nose.

I have several female neighbors and daughters of neighbors who have been to Thailand and loved it. And want to return.

The people, the food, the culture. The female manager and female tellers at my bank all wish they could afford to go to Thailand.

I know the American press obsesses over aides. But that is because of the puritanical thinking of the country. In France sex is good, violence is bad but Americans believe the opposite. To generalize. I am certainly not that way.

Obviously the sex is there if you want it. But to me there is so much more. For one thing, I like seeing how Buddhist principles are incorporated into daily life. It makes me a better person.

If you get out of the sex ghettos and get to meet real Thais your world is enlarged. I have some very good Thai friends (including families) whom I have learned a lot from. I have been invited to participate in ceremonies (eg cremation) with families. But I forget who I am talking to.

I have several female neighbors and daughters of neighbors who have been to Thailand and loved it. And want to return.

The people, the food, the culture. The female manager and female tellers at my bank all wish they could afford to go to Thailand.

I know the American press obsesses over aides. But that is because of the puritanical thinking of the country. In France sex is good, violence is bad but Americans believe the opposite. To generalize. I am certainly not that way.

Obviously the sex is there if you want it. But to me there is so much more. For one thing, I like seeing how Buddhist principles are incorporated into daily life. It makes me a better person.

If you get out of the sex ghettos and get to meet real Thais your world is enlarged. I have some very good Thai friends (including families) whom I have learned a lot from. I have been invited to participate in ceremonies (eg cremation) with families. But I forget who I am talking to.

I will not disagree with you, I will simply state that people do not think about Thailand, or any of the things you have mentioned above, without also having at least a passing thought involving the sex trade.

The administration is obviously doing its best to help the situation, buying plastic submarines in a "Buy by two, get one free" deal with some Chinese toy factory... they are obviously working hard to make bigger headlines than the sex industry. Having Red Bull Heir racing Ferraris, killing policeman, globetrotting playboy lifestyle - you can understand why they are not in a hurry to actually catch him!

Sent from my nose.

On 4/30/2017 at 8:16 PM, colinneil said:

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.

What about the other 47?. blind  and deaf maybe.

Anyone who is unaware of prostitution here, is lacking something or are in denial.

53% said they were aware of prostitution in Thailand.  The other 47% are liars.  

This just seems so silly when well over 53% of men have admitted to sleeping with a prostitute in the last six months.  My guess is that if they actually broke down the numbers, 100% of Thai men know about prostitution in Thailand and the vast majority of women bury their head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist.  

Just now, ben2talk said:

Are you confused?

"53% of men" in the world? in Bangkok? in the survey taken in Pattaya? <deleted> are you talking about?

Women here (where I live) don't bury their heads in the sand. We also don't see any real prostitution unless you go 'discovering' in apps like 'WeChat' I don't know where you are - I guess you think your corner of the country is representative of the whole.

Calm down there.  I was referring to Thai men.  

81% of Thai soldiers said they have visited a Thai prostitute in the last 6 months.  73% of Thai soldiers said that they had lost their virginity to a prostitute.  And 97% of Thai soldiers said they regularly visit prostitutes.  

http://www.colorado.edu/AmStudies/lewis/ecology/childthai.pdf

Not sure what corner of the world you're in but there's a boatload of prostitution going on in Thailand.  

It's estimated that there are about 2,000,000 women working in the sex business.  Only about 50,000 of those are in the farang sex business.  Simple math will tell you that 1.95 million Thai women are selling sex that you probably don't know about unless you know where to look.  

4 hours ago, djayz said:

I always think about Beer Chang, an abundance of food - some tasty and some not so tasty - beaches partially covered in horse manure, gorgeous sunsets and discarded rubbish lining streets, roads, pathways, etc., food vendors picking their noses, combining their hair or clipping their nails in their place of work and last, but not least, taxi drivers driving like idiots - zipzagging through traffic and never bothering to use indicators. 

Love it! 

Wow a very comprehensive list of all the good points

1 minute ago, oldlakey said:

Wow a very comprehensive list of all the good points

There are many good points, too. But seeing as the article had more of a negative connotation, I went along with the less desirable side of the country. 

14 minutes ago, djayz said:

There are many good points, too. But seeing as the article had more of a negative connotation, I went along with the less desirable side of the country. 

And there I was thinking you were being lighthearted

Nevermind

9 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Yes mate its perfect

Can you try again in English Mate Please

Thanks mate

There is A PT in there if you can find it

If not forget it and have a nice evening

Opinions barried. Wish you a happy life too.

23 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Thailand has an International reputation for

cheap sex, spicy food and dirty water and 

beaches.   So sad, but for many, this is how

Thailand is viewed.  

It's not a "view," it's a set of facts.  It's not all the facts about Thailand, but it's certainly a fair characterization of three of them.  

12 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

It's not a "view," it's a set of facts.  It's not all the facts about Thailand, but it's certainly a fair characterization of three of them.  

Indeed a microcosm representing 0.2% of the total picture.

52 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

Precisely my question. To have any statistical significance at all the poll should be querying foreigners, not Thais.

They should also make note of the responses of foreigners who have lived here vs. those who have only visited vs. those who have not.  

58 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Indeed a microcosm representing 0.2% of the total picture.

0.2% of what?  The number of citizens in Thailand?  Are you going by surface area?  Which orifice did you pull that number out of, and based on what?  The question is, what is the perception of Thailand.  If you are asking, what percentage of Thais engage in prostitution, that would be an interesting number indeed.  I think it's higher than some might want to admit.  

Archived