Thai Driving Licence valid in Indonesia?

Hi,

I have read that the new (issued after June 2015) Thai licence (for car) is valid in all ASEAN countries. I just want to get confirmation to this. If I want to rent a car in Bali will I be able to do so with my Thai Driving Licence and would insurance be covered for sure in case of an accident. Also if the police stop me could there be trouble even though the new ASEAN agreement allows Thai Licence to be used in Indonesia?

Thanks! 

35 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

Thai license, a permanent one, is valid is all over the world. You might want to get an IDP if you are going to countries who doesnt understand English. 

We have been through this recently ... for 500thb just get an IDP and then have no worries ...

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

We have been through this recently ... for 500thb just get an IDP and then have no worries ...

Probably a good idea, though I have been renting cars and stopped by the police in several European countries. Never had a single question or issue. 

1 hour ago, mortenaa said:

Thai license, a permanent one, is valid is all over the world. You might want to get an IDP if you are going to countries who doesnt understand English. 

Thai driving licence valid all over the world, what? You mean if you drive a car in lets say in Norway and the police stop you and you just show your Thai Driving licence and everything will be fine.

I will be going to Indonesia as I said in the post. I mean it is clearly stated all over the internet that Thai licence is valid in all ASEAN countries so it has to be ok in Indonesia then. I just would feel more comfortable if someone who rented a car in Bali with a Thai licence could give confirmation to this?

1 hour ago, JAS21 said:

Some people have said the same yes, but I wonder why go trough the hassle if a Thai licence is valid in all ASEAN countries? There must be some clear answer to this. I would be renting a car for a week in Bali and most importantly I want to know that the insurance is covered with what ever licence I use. 

Hi, this document appears to answer your question, I have just returned from Bali and had a terrible time trying to convince two police roadblocks who tried to fine me 250, 000 Rupiah. 

I said no, book me or arrest me I will go to court as you are wrong. 

They were insisting you need an international licence /permit and that is clearly not true when you read the attached 1985 Agreement signed in KL. 

I get a lot of benefit from a lot of advice here so this is my contribution, cheer. 

1985 Agreement on the Recognition of Domestic Driving Licenses Issued by ASEAN Countries-pdf (2).pdf

Edited by rosst
Wrong amount

OP, so far as insurance is concerned, if you present a license and the rental company then hands you the keys based on the license you presented, they have agreed that your licenses is valid. I cant see that they can then deny a claim based on a license they accepted as part of a rental agreement.

So far as road blocks etc, all the correct documents can help you stand up to some bribery and corruption but at the end of the day if they are looking for some tea money etc, they will get you on the little known blue t shirt on a Tuesday law.

I have found in Bali that for the same price as renting a car, you can get a car and driver and relax.

1 hour ago, rosst said:

Hi, this document appears to answer your question, I have just returned from Bali and had a terrible time trying to convince two police roadblocks who tried to fine me 250, 000 Rupiah. 

They were insisting you need an international licence /permit and that is clearly not true when you read the attached 1985 Agreement signed in KL. 

I get a lot of benefit from a lot of advice here so this is my contribution, cheer. 

1985 Agreement on the Recognition of Domestic Driving Licenses Issued by ASEAN Countries-pdf (2).pdf

Thanks a lot for that story rosst! Sounds pretty corrupt all right but that's to be expected. That's just the point if the law or agreement between ASEAN states that Thai licence is valid in Indonesia why would I then go get some additional documents (IDP). How do we know that the police might just as well say that the IDP is not valid and ask for the same 250,000. Anything can happen even if you have the correct documents so I think I'll just go with my Thai licence.

I could just go get the IDP from Bangkok Area 3 office (Sukhumvit) but I read somewhere that they would ask for a 1 year visa for that. I have a 5 year Thai driving licence and lived here for 10 years but currently I'm on a tourist visa. Would they really ask for such documents?

21 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

I would say it's OK but l would still google other web sites for conformation,  maybe ask the local DLT. 

Hope someone comes on whose done it.

Why would you even go to the trouble to answer when you have no real addition except an opinion????? Only the need to be heard? Too much time on your hands? Wow!

12 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Thai driving licence valid all over the world, what? You mean if you drive a car in lets say in Norway and the police stop you and you just show your Thai Driving licence and everything will be fine.

I will be going to Indonesia as I said in the post. I mean it is clearly stated all over the internet that Thai licence is valid in all ASEAN countries so it has to be ok in Indonesia then. I just would feel more comfortable if someone who rented a car in Bali with a Thai licence could give confirmation to this?

I don't know about Norway, but I know in Canada you can drive with a Thai driver's license for up to 3 months I believe.

12 hours ago, mortenaa said:

Probably a good idea, though I have been renting cars and stopped by the police in several European countries. Never had a single question or issue. 

Just found out it's a requirement in Italy. An IDP probably won't be necessary unless in an accident or stopped by unscrupulous police. Of which there are many in Asia! LOL

I just got one. Super easy.

Edited by craigt3365

2 hours ago, rosst said:

We got  stopped in Bali for absolutely nothing. We negotiated down the bribe, but still had to pay. Pure corruption.

31 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Why would you even go to the trouble to answer when you have no real addition except an opinion????? Only the need to be heard? Too much time on your hands? Wow!

Just trying start off with some suggestions is what TV's for ain't it.

So what was your contribution apart from this stalker reply.

36 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Just found out it's a requirement in Italy. An IDP probably won't be necessary unless in an accident or stopped by unscrupulous police. Of which there are many in Asia! LOL

I just got one. Super easy.

"I just got one. Super easy." How easy in Bangkok? Can you advise me about my question earlier. Do they really ask for a 1 year visa or something?

41 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

"I just got one. Super easy." How easy in Bangkok? Can you advise me about my question earlier. Do they really ask for a 1 year visa or something?

I'm in Cyprus with only a tablet. I just did a Google search and found some great info. Leaving in 10 minutes for an all day tour.  Sorry!

I have a retirement visa and a 5 year DL.

14 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I drove in Indonesia for a number of years, and used an International Driving Permit issued by my Aussie Automobile club.     It's in about 6 languages, and is valid for 1 year.

Ok I guess bottom line to this is that I can go to the Land Department (BKK 3) and try to get the IDP just in case. If someone could just confirm weather they really ask for a one year residency permit in Thailand (1 year visa, work permit or what not). 

I just doubt it that when the corrupt police who wants to give you a fine for no reason, wouldn't give the fine if you show an IDP (I mean they probably know that thai licenses are valid in Indonesia according to the ASEAN agreement). Often corrupt police invent some reason to get their extra money. Would an IDP really avoid the problems with the police?  

22 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Ok I guess bottom line to this is that I can go to the Land Department (BKK 3) and try to get the IDP just in case. If someone could just confirm weather they really ask for a one year residency permit in Thailand (1 year visa, work permit or what not). 

I just doubt it that when the corrupt police who wants to give you a fine for no reason, wouldn't give the fine if you show an IDP (I mean they probably know that thai licenses are valid in Indonesia according to the ASEAN agreement). Often corrupt police invent some reason to get their extra money. Would an IDP really avoid the problems with the police?  

I can't, but you have two chances ...so just go and ask is the only way you will really find out.

Having an IDP will be one less reason to be 'pulled up' not having one will be one more reason ... and take a copy of the 1985 agreement with you ... enjoy

On 5/1/2017 at 10:44 PM, ChomDo said:

I've been stopped by the police in Norway, yes :) No problem! Rented cars in Greece, Italy, Spain, France.. No problem either.

1 hour ago, mortenaa said:

I've been stopped by the police in Norway, yes :) No problem! Rented cars in Greece, Italy, Spain, France.. No problem either.

Sounds dangerous to let a Thai person drive in Norway since they have no clue about safe driving. Unbelievable!

Edited by ChomDo
got explanation already

12 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So you can show a Thai licence to the police in Norway and get away with it, seriously? You're just trying to blow smoke up my ass right haha? You're really saying that a Thai DL is valid in Europe, since when?

Since both countries signed the 1949 /1968 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic Treaty. And various other conventions and treaties.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/conventn/CP_Vienna_convention.pdf

I have driven in Australia and Indonesia on a Thai license

Edited by Peterw42

7 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

So you can show a Thai licence to the police in Norway and get away with it, seriously? You're just trying to blow smoke up my ass right haha? You're really saying that a Thai DL is valid in Europe, since when?

Hehe no im not. As long as you don't live in Norway permanently, a Thai license is valid up to 90 days. Been stopped two times, one time for speeding. And showing the Thai license brings out a smile and helps with the conversation :) 

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Since both countries signed the 1949 /1968 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic Treaty. And various other conventions and treaties.

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/conventn/CP_Vienna_convention.pdf

Sure I read the agreement and the countries on that list..shocked to see my own home country on that list too. And they don't have to show any IDP with it??

Just now, ChomDo said:

Sure I read the agreement and the countries on that list..shocked to see my own home country on that list too. And they don't have to show any IDP with it??

I never had an IDP, and travelled to Europe every summer for 1 - 2 months for 10 years. Only used the normal Thai license. Rented cars with Avis in Norway every year, and cars on different airports and holiday-destinations around Europe.

6 minutes ago, mortenaa said:

Hehe no im not. As long as you don't live in Norway permanently, a Thai license is valid up to 90 days. Been stopped two times, one time for speeding. And showing the Thai license brings out a smile and helps with the conversation :) 

Wow I still can't believe it haha. I just thought you're trying to joke around! I mean I would have thought that a Thai licence has no use anywhere outside of ASEAN since for Thai's to get a licence they just have to reverse a car in between two lines and check if they can see green and red. Well anyway this is getting a bit out of topic but at least you gave me some new very interesting info indeed. 

13 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Most countries dont need to show IDP unless the license is in Arabic, Chinese and a translation is needed. I got pulled up in Indonesia with an Australian license and the police asked for an IDP, I said to the guy "why do you want a translation, cant you read English ? Waved on straight away.