Thai Driving Licence valid in Indonesia?

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Most countries dont need to show IDP unless the license is in Arabic, Chinese and a translation is needed. I got pulled up in Indonesia with an Australian license and the police asked for an IDP, I said to the guy "why do you want a translation, cant you read English ? Waved on straight away. 

Yea haha that's just silly. Same goes for the Thai licence. I mean it's clearly in english and there's an agreement for it to be valid in ASEAN of course. All sorts of weir things can happen in Southeast asian countries. I've been pulled over (when there's a road block) in Bangkok countless times but never had any problems or corruption charges. Mostly they want to see my DL and at night time they ask if you've had a drink and that's it :)

I've rented in about 11 countries in Europe and Eastern Europe with a Thai DL over the past few years. Only Italy is demanding an IDP. I've never been stopped nor had an accident.  That's when things get interesting. 

Yes! A Thai Drivers License is good to rent a car anywhere in the world. But to avoid confusion with the police it is probably a good idea to get an ID Permit for Indonesea. You can get that just with your Thai Driver's License, and it doesn't cost much, but if I recall you need to go to Bangkok to get it, which may not be handy for you. 

Insurance you can get from the rental company. It is a lot more expensive there but also a lot less hassle if you get into an accident. Or at least I think so. I never used private insurance when I rented a car nor have I even been in an accident then either, so I can't say for sure. 

1 hour ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yes! A Thai Drivers License is goodGreat to rent a car anywhere in the world. But to avoid confusion with the police it is probably a good idea to get an ID Permit for Indonesea. You can get that just with your Thai Driver's License, and it doesn't cost much, but if I recall you need to go to Bangkok to get it, which may not be handy for you. 

Insurance you can get from the rental company. It is a lot more expensive there but also a lot less hassle if you get into an accident. Or at least I think so. I never used private insurance when I rented a car nor have I even been in an accident then either, so I can't say for sure. 

Great advice ... it's good to get conformation ...

15 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Yes! A Thai Drivers License is good to rent a car anywhere in the world. But to avoid confusion with the police it is probably a good idea to get an ID Permit for Indonesea. You can get that just with your Thai Driver's License, and it doesn't cost much, but if I recall you need to go to Bangkok to get it, which may not be handy for you. 

Your local DLT can issue IDP's.

17 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

Thanks for the info. I do live in Bangkok so that's not the hassle. My only concern was that would they ask me to show a 1 year visa?? I guess not but if yes, then I can't get the IDP since currently I'm staying on tourist visas. 

On 5/3/2017 at 1:29 PM, Peterw42 said:

Most countries dont need to show IDP unless the license is in Arabic, Chinese and a translation is needed. I got pulled up in Indonesia with an Australian license and the police asked for an IDP, I said to the guy "why do you want a translation, cant you read English ? Waved on straight away. 

The IDP was for use in countries where English is not a common language

When i last got one about 10 years ago it had translations from English to french, Chinese and one other language, no  Asian language translations so if they cannot read English or one of the International languages the IDP tells them nothing, just a excuse to get tea money of you which is regularly used by some corrupt police forces

It was required to drive on a foreign license in Thailand 10 years ago, i showed a police officer mine at the time and he did not have a clue what it was and just waved me on