GF hate to fly as she cannot depressurize her ears

I suffer with the same thing and have to inhale, hold my nose, close my mouth  and blow as hard as I can. The first time I flew, I ended up with a bleeding eardrum and tinnitus, as I don't know anything about the air pressure in a plane, and my friends travelling with me didn't bother to tell me.

one trick I learned while diving, same issue with ears popping, is to constantly de-pressurize while the airplane is descending say every 5,000 feet. while diving every few meters I "pop" my ears and it makes it easier than waiting until I feel the pressure build up. i do it now all the time while flying and haven't had a problem.

as teddog suggests hold your noise and mouth and blow hard while moving your head side to side seems to work best for me. but everyone is different and some have medical issues that can prevent ease from clearing.

15 minutes ago, oldcarguy said:

How do you get a child to do this ?

you often see kids on planes who are hurting because they do not know how to "pop " them

I feel sorry for them

I find descent (depressurization) worse than ascent (depressurization). 

I get my 3 year old (more than 50 flights)...  to swallow, drink milk, yawn, blow his nose... 

The trick is not to wait until discomfort is felt, but to pre-empt any pressure build up, especially when descending. 

On 5/1/2017 at 11:13 PM, CharlieH said:

Great, the Toynbee maneuver, but with water in her month seems to work for her: fill your mouth with little water, close your mouth and nose and swallow the water several times until pressure equalizes. :-D

Edited by inventorinthailand

Yes hold the nose ,close the mouth and blow as hard as she can

Forcing air like that is not good, especially if the person has a cold and the tube is blocked.. Bad maneuvere and can create burst ear drums on decent if air is trapped