Street food vendors on Khao San and Yaowarat to be managed by 31 May

webfact

Street food vendors on Khao San and Yaowarat to be managed by 31 May

BANGKOK, 2 May 2017 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will manage street food on Khao San and Yaowarat roads by 31 May 2017 with stricter regulations to ensure clean and hygienic food preparation. 

Bangkok Governor Pol.Gen.Assawin Kwanmuang said the BMA will manage street food on the two roads first. Khao San road and one traffic lane of Yaowarat road will be closed from 6 PM until midnight for street food stalls, said the governor. 

Street food vendors must wear aprons, hats and gloves every time they handle food. The BMA will designate areas for washing and disposal of wastes for them. 

As for food prices, the governor said the Ministry of Commerce will control the prices and require street food vendors to clearly display price tags in Thai, English or Chinese. The Ministry of Labor will be responsible for street food vendors who hire alien workers. 

The governor added that the BMA is considering whether to manage street food on other roads like it does Khao San and Yaowarat.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-02

And as always, it will hold for a week or so before everything will revert

back to what it used to be, seen it many times where the authorities has

tried to ' manage ' any Thais into a conformed behavior....

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

Wearing gloves doesn't do anything unless used correctly. I have seen cooks picking their noses while wearing gloves.

And i've seen loads of vendors who also receive cash money while wearing those gloves. So the cash goes from the butcher to customer to the foodvendor and so on....very hygienic.

Now don't think the real supermarkets like Foodland do it any better, they do it all good with their gloves and they even handover the plastic bag full of meat to you with their gloves. So the outside of the bag is wet from meatjuices.

And if that doesn't kill you, go to Makro/Tesco where they all grab chickenlegs with bare hands and stuff them in baggies to buy. After that they continu to push their shoppingtrolley.

3 hours ago, cracker1 said:

I thought last week BMA were banning all street food from Bangkok ?

Now they seem to be allowing it to continue under "management"

What can we expect next week ?

'Management' probably means a euphemism for 'pay money and you can stay'

• 3 weeks later...

A manager usually costs about 10% of your income if I'm not mistaken. Isn't that the usual percentage rate Hollywood actors and singers pay their managers? Is that what the BMA will charge for their management services? :post-4641-1156694572:

On 5/1/2017 at 9:40 PM, maoro2013 said:

Wearing gloves doesn't do anything unless used correctly. I have seen cooks picking their noses while wearing gloves.

And scratching their butt, and handling money which is just about the most germ ridden objects out there, or taking off the gloves but placing them on like a raw meat cutting board etc.  Basically eat cooked food and say a few hail mary;s

On 5/21/2017 at 10:06 AM, bbi1 said:

A manager usually costs about 10% of your income if I'm not mistaken. Isn't that the usual percentage rate Hollywood actors and singers pay their managers? Is that what the BMA will charge for their management services? 

There was an error in translation and the vendors get to keep the 10%.  The BMA gets the rest.