Do WP holders w 1 yr visa have to do 90 day reports?

7 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Samantics

Sorry, but no!

The word semantics is used far to often on this forum as an excuse for 'I don't really know what I'm talking about'.

A Visa and an Extension of Stay are two completely separate interties, with separate conditions.

You cannot extend a Visa, just as you cannot enter a Country on an Extension.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dentonian said:

Sorry, but no!

The word semantics is used far to often on this forum as an excuse for 'I don't really know what I'm talking about'.

A Visa and an Extension of Stay are two completely separate interties, with separate conditions.

You cannot extend a Visa, just as you cannot enter a Country on an Extension.

Whatever you say still semantics you cant have an extension without a visa so in reality its an extension to stay based on a non o visa. Regardles if the visa has expired.  So please stop trying to big yourself up by insinuating nobody else knows what there talking abot eh.

16 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Whatever you say still semantics you cant have an extension without a visa so in reality its an extension to stay based on a non o visa. Regardles if the visa has expired.  So please stop trying to big yourself up by insinuating nobody else knows what there talking abot eh.

It's quite pointless arguing, you just don't get it!

Believe as you will.

you cant have an extension without a visa

I have.

4 minutes ago, dentonian said:

It's quite pointless arguing, you just don't get it!

Believe as you will.

I have.

No you havent you have an non o expired visa wich is still used by immigration for you to get a year on year extension without that visa you would not have an extension of stay

• Like 1

I haven't had a visa since I first got here in 2005, but I have had annual Extensions of Stay. It might be semantics but it is best to get the terminology right.
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I haven't had a visa since I first got here in 2005, but I have had annual Extensions of Stay. It might be semantics but it is best to get the terminology right.

But without your expired non o visa being in your passport you would not get an extension of stay. You have to regardless of how you say it/word it/dress it up without a visa in your passport expired or not you would not get an extension of stay. So the right terminology is a matter of conjecture yes!

46 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

But without your expired non o visa being in your passport you would not get an extension of stay. You have to regardless of how you say it/word it/dress it up without a visa in your passport expired or not you would not get an extension of stay. So the right terminology is a matter of conjecture yes!

I haven't had a visa since 1997 which expired two passports ago.

Still get annual extensions.

People with visa exempt (i.e. no visa at all) still get an extension.

Visas and Permits to Stay are two different things, it's the latter which is extended.

If it's just a matter of semantics then a motor car and a motor bike are exactly the same thing.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ginkas said:

I haven't had a visa since 1997 which expired two passports ago.

Still get annual extensions.

People with visa exempt (i.e. no visa at all) still get an extension.

Visas and Permits to Stay are two different things, it's the latter which is extended.

If it's just a matter of semantics then a motor car and a motor bike are exactly the same thing.

Semantics again read my post i dont care how long the visa is expired to get yearly extensions you will have needed a visa in the very first place. Extensions in visa exempt are not yearly extensions rather short term. 

To be semantic, I entered with a Non Immigrant B visa, not an O. To make it simple, a visa, any kind, only allows the holder to enter a country. At the point of entry a ' permission to stay until...' is stamped in their passport, which can be extended.
  • Like 2

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

To be semantic, I entered with a Non Immigrant B visa, not an O. To make it simple, a visa, any kind, only allows the holder to enter a country. At the point of entry a ' permission to stay until...' is stamped in their passport, which can be extended.

I refer you to my post its quite simple really non immigramt sort of gives it away 

8 hours ago, muzmurray said:

The Non-Immigrant O(A) allows 1 year stays on each entry and therefore you are required to do 90 day reports, same as the TE visa, and both of those are multi-entry Non-imm visas - so you are not quite correct.

I was replying specifically to the OP who is claiming to have a WP and 1 year visa. That would require a category 'O' or 'B' non-immigrant visa. Therefore, nothing wrong with my post, and there is no need for you to mention other visas/categories.

FYI,

• Theres no such "TE visa". It's a PE visa.
  • The PE visa is not classed as a non-immigrant visa.
  • The long stay non-immigrant visa is category 'O-A', not "O(A)".
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill Miller said:

So to be sure I understand, I used my re-entry visa last week on return from Hong Kong, and the ninety day clock reset to day one?

Then my next duty will be renewal of permission to stay for retirement. Yay.

But note that your permit to stay renewal doesn't count as a report so you will still need to report after 90 days if you don't leave the country. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

No you havent you have an non o expired visa wich is still used by immigration for you to get a year on year extension without that visa you would not have an extension of stay

The only reason I corrected you was because you gave totally misleading information, i.e. Extensions of Visa.

Now you may call it semantics, but tell that to the guy who read, or was told and believes he's extended his Non Imm O ME Visa at Immigration. Leaves the Country only to re-enter and gets a 30 day Visa exempt in his passport.

It happens, it's not semantics!

2 hours ago, dentonian said:

The only reason I corrected you was because you gave totally misleading information, i.e. Extensions of Visa.

Now you may call it semantics, but tell that to the guy who read, or was told and believes he's extended his Non Imm O ME Visa at Immigration. Leaves the Country only to re-enter and gets a 30 day Visa exempt in his passport.

I did that once and when I asked the Immigration guy why I only got a 30 day visa exempt he politely explained to me that as I had left Thailand WITHOUT obtaining a re-entry permit I had to start all over again with a new 90 visa from Penang and then convert that into a visa extension as the visa will expire 90 days after I enter Thailand.

He was quite nice, pleasant and reasonable compared to my wife who not so gently explained how stupid I was. She was correct but my ears hurt for 2 days after I told her.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Nonsense.

You cannot be on "overstay" for failing to do a 90 day report.

You're on overstay if you stay longer than your 'permission to stay' date.

You can be fined for not doing the 90 day report but that is usually 2,000 baht.

Really. In my 14 years here I've fkd up a couple of times for being late with my 90 days and been done for overstay (pay money, stamp in passport). But maybe you know better than me. :coffee1:

Edited by dinsdale

6 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Really. In my 14 years here I've fkd up a couple of times for being late with my 90 days and been done for overstay (pay money, stamp in passport). But maybe you know better than me. :coffee1:

Are you on a non o visa then.

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:
  11 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Nonsense.

You can be fined for not doing the 90 day report but that is usually 2,000 baht.

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You were certainly fkd up then.

Ginkas is perfectly correct, your are only guilty of filing a late report, not overstaying.

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Non B

Then you do a 90 day report to immigration if you fail to do this or you are late you are not on overstay your passport will not be stamped overstay. You will be fined for your late reporting though. So if you have as you say an overstay stamp in your passport its eithera mistake by immigration or from a previous visa overstay!

12 hours ago, elviajero said:

I was replying specifically to the OP who is claiming to have a WP and 1 year visa. That would require a category 'O' or 'B' non-immigrant visa. Therefore, nothing wrong with my post, and there is no need for you to mention other visas/categories.

FYI,

• Theres no such "TE visa". It's a PE visa.
  • The PE visa is not classed as a non-immigrant visa.
  • The long stay non-immigrant visa is category 'O-A', not "O(A)".

I will admit that it is an O-A visa and that my writing of it as O(A) could be hugely misleading ;-)

I called it a TE visa as it they are all issued by Thailand Elite, (through immigration). They are not all PE visas, some are SE (special entry), as the picture will attest to.

Special Entry Elite multiple journeys Bangkok 20070831.jpg

Edited by muzmurray

2 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

I called it a TE visa as it they are all issued by Thailand Elite, (through immigration). They are not all PE visas, some are SE (special entry), as the picture will attest to.

The new visas are a PE visa and allow a one year entry verses the 90 days the TE allowed. They changed to the PE visa 4 or 5 years ago.

PE is privileged elite.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dentonian said:

If you care to re read my post i belive i have never once said extension of visa. What i have said repearedly is you need the visa initialy which is correct without it you would not get an extension of stay.

21 hours ago, Ginkas said:

Nonsense.

Strange that I have a stamp in my passport saying I was on overstay when I missed my 90 day report by a week.  The reason I missed it was because I foolishly thought that getting my new extension of stay (based on a BOI WP) would be considered a report.  The folks at the One Stop disagreed, fined me 2000 baht and stamped an overstay in my passport.  That was within 3 weeks of my brand new extension of stay.

I don't claim to know the rules.  I just know what happened to me.  Other people's mileage may vary.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, impulse said:

Strange that I have a stamp in my passport saying I was on overstay when I missed my 90 day report by a week.  The reason I missed it was because I foolishly thought that getting my new extension of stay would be considered a report.  The folks at the One Stop disagreed, fined me 2000 baht and stamped an overstay in my passport.  That was within 3 weeks of my brand new extension of stay.

I don't claim to know the rules.  I just know what happened to me.  Other people's mileage may vary.

I guarantee you that you do not have an "overstay" stamp, you have a stamp that indicates you were late for your 90 day report and that you were fined "X" amount.

Totally different.

Strange that I have a stamp in my passport saying I was on overstay when I missed my 90 day report by a week.  The reason I missed it was because I foolishly thought that getting my new extension of stay (based on a BOI WP) would be considered a report.  The folks at the One Stop disagreed, fined me 2000 baht and stamped an overstay in my passport.  That was within 3 weeks of my brand new extension of stay.

Can you post a photo of the overstay stamp. Seems very peculiar to get one if you didn't overstay.

6 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

I guarantee you that you do not have an "overstay" stamp, you have a stamp that indicates you were late for your 90 day report and that you were fined "X" amount.

Totally different.

You may be correct.  But 3 times upon leaving Thailand, I've been asked about the overstay stamp in my passport by the check in agents and  immigration guys.  Each time, they referred to it as an overstay stamp.  Maybe it's a terminology thing.

Edit: And it seemed pretty unlikely they'd be messing up a perfectly good passport page stamping it with a mundane notice of paying a minor fine.  There are receipts for that kind of thing that aren't visible to every immigration agent in every country I enter.

But again, it may be a terminology thing.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, dentonian said:

:wink:

And if you quote tje full post rather than cherry pick bits you want

On 2017-5-3 at 8:20 AM, jeab1980 said:

Only on overstay if your on a visa. Extensions of visa and dont do 90 day report, not on overstay but you will be fined

Puts a whole new light on it. Does it not.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The new visas are a PE visa and allow a one year entry verses the 90 days the TE allowed. They changed to the PE visa 4 or 5 years ago.

PE is privileged elite.

1 year without reporting anything and without talking to anyone ?