Biggest Discount you ever got in Thailand

Rc2702

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2016 Mazda 2 standard model car I purchased 2 months ago from a gentleman in Bangkok who bought it new at the very end of Oct., 2016 for approx. 540,000 baht ( upgraded seats, paint and window tinting).  Needed to sell due to job conflicts after driving only 4,700 km.   Basically a new car for 405,000 Baht including 1st class insurance until the end of Oct., 2017.  This price was, by far,  the best I've seen for this class of car from any manufacturer by any dealer or private sale.  Not only was the price a bargain, the car is a joy to drive around in.

DSCN8718.JPG

Edited by patekatek
Wrong price corrected.

Just some really cheap airline ticket prices from Air Asia. Also great discounts on hotels

when dealing with the owner on lengthy stays. In general my monthly rent in Thailand

is the cost of a night in a hotel in Toronto or Cayman Islands where I have been on recent

travels.

2 minutes ago, patekatek said:

2016 Mazda 2 standard model car I purchased 2 months ago from a gentleman in Bangkok who bought it new at the very end of Oct., 2016 for approx. 540,000 baht ( upgraded seats, paint and window tinting).  Needed to sell due to job conflicts after driving only 4,700 km.   Basically a new car for $405,000 including 1st class insurance until the end of Oct., 2017.  This price was, by far,  the best I've seen for this class of car from any manufacturer by any dealer or private sale.  Not only was the price a bargain, the car is a joy to drive around in.

DSCN8718.JPG

For $405,000 you could buy a house and a porsche.

I'm not sure if it was my biggest, but surely the weirdest  - Emporium had an offer for baby bottle sterilizers, buy 1 get 2....

(for those unaware, this is a rather big piece of hardware, where no one possibly can make any practical use of two)

1 minute ago, BigKahuna said:

Saw a new mazda 2 advertised for 440,000 baht.

I know a mug who is under a 4 year repayment plan on the mazda 2. Total cost 682k. down payment 250k.  9k a month. 48 months. Ouch.

The chicken lady told me the pieces were smaller than usual that day... normally 3 for 20 baht... she told me she could give me 4/20 baht or a pair of glasses so that they look bigger... 

[sure, I should have taken the glasses]

On 02/05/2017 at 11:51 PM, Los Luver said:

I personally never care about getting some discount in LoS. Never look for one. never buy those discount cards either from bars.....Never bargain either...

It's soooo cheap that i really don't need, I'm rather very generous in tip and so.....

Thais must love you,but do you realise you are making it difficult

for other Farangs that like to bargain and look for discount,you must

be American ?,the folks that started all this tipping nonsense.

That old saying  " a fool and his money ..........

regards worgeordie

Just now, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Poms starting tipping centuries ago

Scots started halloween

Yanks are thick but not responsible for everything

On 5/2/2017 at 11:51 PM, Los Luver said:

I personally never care about getting some discount in LoS. Never look for one. never buy those discount cards either from bars.....Never bargain either...

It's soooo cheap that i really don't need, I'm rather very generous in tip and so.....

I don't have any discount cards, can't be arsed with them, but unlike you I bargain for everything outside of a Supermarket, do I need the reduction - No, but its enjoyable if done correctly & when I walk away I no they are not thinking "Mug"! My bigest discount would have to be the discount I got on present house which was around ~2 million, a drop in the ocean to you I guess  :smile:

Just now, CGW said:

I don't have any discount cards, can't be arsed with them, but unlike you I bargain for everything outside of a Supermarket, do I need the reduction - No, but its enjoyable if done correctly & when I walk away I no they are not thinking "Mug"! My bigest discount would have to be the discount I got on present house which was around ~2 million, a drop in the ocean to you I guess  :smile:

Oh yeah a 2 mill saving. We have a leader in the house. Ok CGW break it down for us novice discount hunters. How you manage it what length of time did it take was it an actual value based saving or did the person simply price it way too high in the first place? 

Love hearing about BIG discounts so please do gloat and gives us the finer points.

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

regards worgeordie

Nonsense, I have heard folks come out with this before, "you make it difficult for others" if you offer a realistic price and they are a genuine seller what others do has no bearing! :shock1:

I do tip, not a lot and I am a POM! up to me, my disposable income is not going to be affected in any way by a few 20 baht tips here and there. :smile:

Just now, CGW said:

Nonsense, I have heard folks come out with this before, "you make it difficult for others" if you offer a realistic price and they are a genuine seller what others do has no bearing! :shock1:

I do tip, not a lot and I am a POM! up to me, my disposable income is not going to be affected in any way by a few 20 baht tips here and there. :smile:

True. Others need to learn to bargain better.

2 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Since when does tinned food taste great? With all the great fresh fruit not sure why you would want to eat cheap tinned food.

Clearly you have never exposed yourself to the delights of a Full English, farters and all - though they have to be Heinz in my opinion - nothing else comes close.

3 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Oh yeah a 2 mill saving. We have a leader in the house. Ok CGW break it down for us novice discount hunters. How you manage it what length of time did it take was it an actual value based saving or did the person simply price it way too high in the first place?

Thai's do tend to over price most things - chancres! - I paid a price I was happy to pay that they accepted - win-win! so yes IMO the property & land was over priced in the first place.

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Thai's do tend to over price most things - chancres! - I paid a price I was happy to pay that they accepted - win-win! so yes IMO the property & land was over priced in the first place.

Thanks and percentage wise how big a discount or how inflated was the cost  ball park final price and how long it take from start to finish and did they get the hump at anytime given their perceived loss or did they seem ok?

I teach English to a dentist.

My son needed a brace for his dodgy front teeth.

She referred me to her friend, an orthodentist.

She charged me the price of the brace and an x ray  and nothing else. 2,500  for about 30 000 bt of work. :smile:

On 5/2/2017 at 11:51 PM, Los Luver said:

Most "promotions" or things on offer at a discount are just done to shift something that isn't selling (for good reason) and/or involves marking up the supposed normal price by 100% and then offering it on sale for 50% off. 

It doesn't take much to make some people think they're getting a bargain.

discount.jpg.3c937be921571e85b9860ef23b4b0d2c.jpg

70% Discount from a Toyota Dealer in Korat! Twice! I had a sun visor replaced 4 times over 10 years. It broke again and I told them

I wanted a 50% discount. They said no, so I called Toyota Corp of Thailand. I got a call back within 3 hours and said I would have to

pay 30%. I said okay but I wanted a 5 year guarantee. They said okay. This visor was a defective part that Toyota never corrected and it

was like 2200 THB. I guess it was cheaper to replace than fix. Second, I took my car for a/c problem and I paid 8000 THB to replace radiator, new a/c system, ect. When I got my car back my windows wouldn't work. I told Toyota to fix them They said 8800 THB.

I said No. I wanted 70% discount. They said okay, I think I paid 2300 THB. Thailand has no customer service to speak of, but living here for 15 years, I just push everyone to the limit until I get a fair deal.. I've been told I couldn't have a credit card, but I have two with big credit limits ( 6 figures) and no guarantees.So, when a Thai says no, I say yes! If there's a will  there is a WAY! Don't accept No as an answer! Say Yes!

38 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks and percentage wise how big a discount or how inflated was the cost  ball park final price and how long it take from start to finish and did they get the hump at anytime given their perceived loss or did they seem ok?

It equated to about a 20% price reduction, took 24 hours for the decision as that was the time frame I gave them, they were "0k" with it! for sure they would have preferred I paid the full price, its a buyers market here, you have to negotiate!