Biggest Discount you ever got in Thailand

Rc2702

I got a house for 1.8mil under the asking price. I just waited until the owner got in far enough with the mafia on gambling debts that she needed bailing out. I only had to wait for 2 years...

It was worth it.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For *many items the real discount if any can only really be compared against purchasing the same goods internationally.

I once bought a Bell & Ross watch in Central World.

The 70,000 baht discount I eventually received made it slightly cheaper than purchasing the same watch in the US or the UK. 

*Only for items which can be hand carried easily. Obviously not for cars, homes, rent etc...

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

For *many items the real discount if any can only really be compared against purchasing the same goods internationally.

The 70,000 baht discount I eventually received made it slightly cheaper than purchasing the same watch in the US or the UK. 

*Only for items which can be hand carried easily. Obviously not for cars, homes, rent etc...

You sure about the same quality standards though?

2 examples 2 bags in central world.

Cote & Ciehl bag. Same pricing as in UK but a much lower quality and complete different fabric to my UK purchazed bag.

Converse bag - whilst still a decent bag the straps look suspect in some ways and flimsier and very generic.

So jury is still out for me when buying western stuff in thailand, looks like it may not be A grade items.

2 hours ago, Xobtsiwt said:

Clearly you have never exposed yourself to the delights of a Full English, farters and all - though they have to be Heinz in my opinion - nothing else comes close.

Eaten Heinz beans. Edible but tinned stuff is never great.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can buy a watch 3000 baht that lasts years. Can buy a mobile phone which has a clock on it.

Watches selling for big $ are the biggest con after co2 scam.

2 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Thanks and percentage wise how big a discount or how inflated was the cost  ball park final price and how long it take from start to finish and did they get the hump at anytime given their perceived loss or did they seem ok?

The real value of a good is current market price. What would it sell for if you listed it for sale and had a 1 month time limit on it. It it sells for less than what you paid its not a bargain. Grossly overpriced watches case in point.

7 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

The real value of a good is current market price. What would it sell for if you listed it for sale and had a 1 month time limit on it. It it sells for less than what you paid its not a bargain. Grossly overpriced watches case in point.

Cheers but we're talking about real life experiences here kahuna not philosophy so stick on topic I believe the examples provide all of us food for thought when looking at purchases, particularly large purchases and methods used for gaining the much sought after big discounts.

Edited by Rc2702

4 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

I know a mug who is under a 4 year repayment plan on the mazda 2. Total cost 682k. down payment 250k.  9k a month. 48 months. Ouch.

If it is a base spec model he got stooged but if its a top sec model he got a bargain.

26 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Cheers but we're talking about real life experiences here kahuna not philosophy so stick on topic I believe the examples provide all of us food for thought when looking at purchases, particularly large purchases and methods used for gaining the much sought after big discounts.

If the retail price is grossly inflated fake price did you really get a discount?

The current mkt value is the only real value.

Rrps are fake prices.

8 baht for an 80 baht 1.2 liter of perfectly drinkable milk

4 baht for a ~100 baht Frisbee.

FREE 2 large beers that the Tesco girl didn't put on the bill.

FREE Chicken fillets found at the bottom of my Big C bag. Must have been for previous customer.

but there has also been many cases of the opposite

69 baht for 2 Frisbees that would not fly

Paying for 10 liters of gas to fill an 8 liter can

nothing huge but almost everyday something. Pluses and minuses...I consider it works out even.

When I first looked at my rented house I tried to negotiate a lower price - the landlord was very blunt and said "no".

I rented the place anyway as it matched my needs SO perfectly.

A couple of years later my financial circumstances changed and (much to my suprise!), the landlord agreed to reduce the rent by 60% so that I could stay there :shock1:!

Definitely the best and most appreciated discount I have ever received and, when my circumstances improved again - I immediately 'returned the favour' by contacting the landlord to tell him that I could now afford to pay a bit more :smile:.

Changing the subject slightly, I was also happily suprised when one mini supermarket told me (on my next visit) that I had been charged a couple of hundred bht too much on the last visit.

Even more suprising was when out and about one day I was stopped (by someone I didn't even recognise) to give me around 300 bht as I'd been over-charged on a large take-away order from their restaurant!

On 04/05/2017 at 10:22 AM, jvs said:

Massage for half the price,still paid the full price but had two girls.So in a way yes,very nice!

In the good old days, I could never get a discount before the massage but when the goods were revealed I usually got some sort of relief....

On 2017-5-3 at 9:05 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

22 baht tin of baked beans !!

Strange but the baked beans market at BIG C has widened and what do you know but the new addition to the variety of baked beans is an Australian brand called Brook. 39 baht a tin so no difference in price and given your experience I have stuck to the Ayam brand for now.