Tourist visa and drivers license

Greetings. I'd like to solicit suggestions here regarding renewal of a Thai drivers license.

I have a 2 year (temporary) drivers license, issued in Chiang Mai, which will expire in July 2017. That license was issued while I was on a 60 day visa, issued here in Kuala Lumpur, where I work.

I will be traveling through Bangkok in early June 2017 for a trip to the US, and will return, again through Bangkok, in mid-July. I will have a one week layover to spend in Thailand on my way back, before traveling on to Kuala Lumpur, to resume work. My hope is to renew my license during that layover, but I'm uncertain how to manage the visa.

I currently have airline tickets from Bangkok to the US, and from the US back to Bangkok. I have yet to purchase tickets from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok in June or from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur in July. I will likely fly Air Asia on those two legs. I had initially hoped, in applying for the visa here in KL, to use the KL to Bangkok ticket and the Bangkok to KL ticket in for my visa application, but I'm guessing that won't work as the visa will be cancelled upon my departure from Thailand to the US. 

Unless someone might see a way forward here, my follow-on question would be whether the Thai embassy would balk at issuing a 60 day visa when I can only show tickets for that one week at the end of my trip (US to Bangkok and Bangkok to KL).

I know this may be confusing but do hope someone can help me reason through this.

Kind regards.

Edited by ChristianBlessing
grammar

Go and get your new driving licence now ,and tell them you will be out of country when it expires

They just put your date of birth 5 years later as the expiry date ,so it would expire on your birthday 2022.

Why would you need to apply for a 60 day Tourist Visa if your only going to be 1 week in Bangkok ,since you come from USA you would get a 30 day exempt stamp in your passport.

1 minute ago, paul18620 said:

Go and get your new driving licence now ,and tell them you will be out of country when it expires

They just put your date of birth 5 years later as the expiry date ,so it would expire on your birthday 2022.

Why would you need to apply for a 60 day Tourist Visa if your only going to be 1 week in Bangkok ,since you come from USA you would get a 30 day exempt stamp in your passport.

Thanks Paul. I like your suggestion. My only concern is whether, if I go now, on a visa-on-arrival, they would actually renew it.

2 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Yes they will you shouldn't have a problem there ,you will however need to get a residence certificate to get the renewal driving licence ,most IMO charge for this service though.

That's reassuring. Again, thanks.

Chris