Dwindling Options

7 hours ago, Naam said:

exit- and reentry regulations as well as 90 day reports existed always. those on marriage visas should not blame the authorities because verifications are demanded but those who caused the problems with fake/nominee marriages.

I am not here on a marriage visa and my wife is not Thai. Exit and re-entry and 90 day regs are a hassle, no matter how long they have been here. So, what is your point? I am not happy with the hoops, if you are happy with them; fine. Just don't bury your head in the sand and say they don't exist.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, moe666 said:

I have to ask why are you still here if it is so much better else where. No place we live will ever be perfect, it is up to the person to adjust. 

I have reasons to still be here, but when they are settled, I will go somewhere else to live. That is how I have lived all my life; I have no  location I call home. Home is where my ass resides.

Since I have been coming to Thailand for 50 years, I will no doubt return as a tourist to visit friends; just as I visit friends in the PI, Cambodia, and Vietnam today.

I have never suggested there is a Utopia, but there are places which are better for some reasons--e.g., the visa hassles.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

We love Spain. Not sure I'd want to live there permanently. But for short stints,  it's lovely.  Same with Portugal. 

I'm currently in Portugal for a six week tour. I could definitely live here but that's not the plan. I got out of Phuket for a break from the heat but that's home. 

Portugal is inexpensive to live. You just have to find the right place. I'm heading down to the Algarve in a week to find a spot to take breaks from LOS. 

By the way, I love eating the great farang food here, but drinking excellent wine priced at about 70 baht a bottle will keep me coming back here for years to come...as long as my liver holds up.  

9 hours ago, kenk24 said:

It seems to me there is a big difference in contentment between people who choose to live in Pattaya and people who live upcountry. It is easy to imagine a strain on relationships when you live in Pattaya... I understand the illusion of ownership that appeals until you want to sell, and the excitement that would surely wane with the years... 

Living upcountry you are more immersed in the gentleness of the culture. I knew when I built my home that it was a gift to my wife and never considered it otherwise. 

But when people voice complaints about living in Thailand, I often wonder where they are located, as in my opinion, Pattaya barely resembles Thailand and also their economic situation. Surely, I sympathize with those who feel trapped here, but wouldn't they be economically trapped anywhere? 

So, OP,  yes, I agree that most people are better off here, and often times, if they suffer mistakes, it is of their own doing. 

I echo your sentiments Ken24. It all boils down to where one lives IMHO. Being "Trapped" is a personal constraint one puts on themselves as no one is really "Trapped". I can appreciate looking elsewhere because we all ended up here from somewhere else so it must be in our personal make up No?

I disagree that 6 months on or 6 months off works as it is a lot of work to sustain and it would get old fast as I was doing that for work (more like 4 months cycles). Taking quarterly trips for 2-3 weeks would likely change ones point of view.  Now I am a long way off of the OP's age so I can't relate what may be going on but it reads like the OP is in a rut and just needs a nice change of scenery.

Just now, williamgeorgeallen said:

i have only spent a week in vietnam and i have to say i had a pretty good time. it is certainly another good option but i am not sure how visas work there. one thing that put me off was trying to bring a girl back to the hotel required the hotel owner to go register it with the cops. i am gun shy of anything to do with cops in asia. ended up renting 2 rooms in a different hotel. one for me and one for her. nice to soil one set of sheets and sleep in another room with clean sheets.

I just picked up my one year multiple entry Visa for Vietnam from the Embassy on Wireless road, took 2 days, cost 7200 baht, I know - pricey but no requirement to leave every ninety days like some countries.

Yes, it is still technically illegal to register into a hotel with someone not your wife, but  this is not really enforced in the Tourist part of towns...........haven't had to rent a separate room for my lady in over 15 years.  Just like Thailand, hotels register us with Immigration.  When in Saigon, I say in Pham Ngu Lau or Bui Vien (Ben Thanh / Backpacker area)  I like Nha Trang on the east Coast much more than Saigon, got  lively ex-pat crowd there , and it is definately affordable.

Not sure options are dwindling. A handful of countries have introduced more liberal visa laws in the region. A few countries are actually probably much more desirable than they were years ago. Cambodia in the 1990s certainly was rougher than it is now. 

If the pollution and congestion of Asia is getting to you then yes options are less these days. 

The real issue is if you came here 20 years ago and have substantially less than when you came here things seem different. When you were happily married before you bought that house and sunk your nest egg into Thailand you probably never even looked around. 

As we get older we don't want to put up with some of what we would look back upon as the golden age of Thailand. If you are willing to live like you were back in the day in Thailand there are many places. Though must people have higher requirements these days. I would venture to say 90% of the people on TV wouldn't live with out an internet connection for example.

This is how it was everywhere in Thailand's poorer cousins and in some cases it still is. If you don't want poorer infrastructure your choices were actually much much more limited back in the day. When I moved to Laos there was no electricity or internet and now there is. In that sense some places have played catch up and are actually much more viable as alternative places to live.

If you stuck all your money in Thailand it isn't what the other countries of the world offer that is dwindling it is your personal finances. There are so many places to retire if you aren't basing your search parameters based upon the lowest level of survival. 

How many Europeans moved and settled here before they had it so easy to move around any country in the EU? Spain, Greece, Portugal you aren't exactly struggling for choice these days.

I don't see the choices being more limited than they were. In fact quite the opposite world travel is much much easier these days and you can live virtually anywhere you want if you have an internet connection.

55 minutes ago, Pinot said:

I'm currently in Portugal for a six week tour. I could definitely live here but that's not the plan. I got out of Phuket for a break from the heat but that's home. 

Portugal is inexpensive to live. You just have to find the right place. I'm heading down to the Algarve in a week to find a spot to take breaks from LOS. 

By the way, I love eating the great farang food here, but drinking excellent wine priced at about 70 baht a bottle will keep me coming back here for years to come...as long as my liver holds up.  

We spent a few days in the Algarve during the off season several years ago. A lot of places close down. No people there was ok with us, but having all the restaurants and shops shut wasnt!

Enjoy! Love the green wine. I'm in Cyprus now. Just had a very good bottle of wine for 4 Euro. Lovely. I see some in the store for 2E or less.

As mentioned above, it's great to be able to walk around during the day. Something that's no fun for part of the year in Thailand. I miss being able to do that. 

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

We spent a few days in the Algarve during the off season several years ago. A lot of places close down. No people there was ok with us, but having all the restaurants and shops shut wasnt!

Enjoy! Love the green wine. I'm in Cyprus now. Just had a very good bottle of wine for 4 Euro. Lovely. I see some in the store for 2E or less.

As mentioned above, it's great to be able to walk around during the day. Something that's no fun for part of the year in Thailand. I miss being able to do that. 

What's a decent room cost there?

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

What's a decent room cost there?

I can't remember the exact prices,  but since I travel extensively, I try to keep hotel costs around  $75 per night.  Obviously more in the bigger cities.  It was off season also, I think around  $50. It was a nice place.  Sagres.

I'm having pretty good luck with AirBnB. A kitchen is a big deal. Tonight's meal is leftovers from last night!  Pizza and some veggies from the local market. With a 4E bottle of wine.  555

Just now, craigt3365 said:

I can't remember the exact prices,  but since I travel extensively, I try to keep hotel costs around  $75 per night.  Obviously more in the bigger cities.  It was off season also, I think around  $50. It was a nice place.  Sagres.

I'm having pretty good luck with AirBnB. A kitchen is a big deal. Tonight's meal is leftovers from last night!  Pizza and some veggies from the local market. With a 4E bottle of wine.  555

I spend  more than that on a room when I am in Thailand assuming your room isn't terrible. Sounds reasonable to me.

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

I spend  more than that on a room when I am in Thailand assuming your room isn't terrible. Sounds reasonable to me.

I splurged tonight. Wanted a few days to relax as I'm on the run for the next few weeks again.  $90. 2br on the beach.  Fully fitted out, great Internet.  Even did laundry.  Lovely apartment. Not the perfect beach,  but close to the airport as I leave early tomorrow for Malta. 

For lunch was a foot long sandwich,  chips, beer. 6E. A bit over 220B. On the beach.  Larnaca,  Cyprus. 

FB_IMG_1493810389524.jpg

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

I am not here on a marriage visa and my wife is not Thai. Exit and re-entry and 90 day regs are a hassle, no matter how long they have been here. So, what is your point? I am not happy with the hoops, if you are happy with them; fine. Just don't bury your head in the sand and say they don't exist.

pictures of you and your wife, maps to your home,

indicates clearly that you are either on a marriage visa or telling us a fairy story. my wife is not Thai and we were never asked for our pictures and maps to our home.

the visa situation sucks--continually changing with more hoops through which to jump

as i said... nothing has changed.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

indicates clearly that you are either on a marriage visa or telling us a fairy story. my wife is not Thai and we were never asked for our pictures and maps to our home.

Then you are calling me a liar. I resent that sir, and demand an apology.

I am here on a retirement extension, my wife piggy-backs on that with me. We were required to be photographed together at immigration and I had to draw a map of where we live.

4 minutes ago, Naam said:

Visas have actually gotten easier to get in the time I have been here. At least for us under 50 years old. Living here with out one has become more difficult however.

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Then you are calling me a liar. I resent that sir, and demand an apology.

I am here on a retirement extension, my wife piggy-backs on that with me. We were required to be photographed together at immigration and I had to draw a map of where we live.

sounds strange as i have never heard that a Farang couple has to endure this procedure. but whatever i now assume you are telling the truth and hereby humbly apologise. accepted?

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Visas have actually gotten easier to get in the time I have been here. At least for us under 50 years old. Living here with out one has become more difficult however.

for me and my wife the alpha and omega was from the beginning "either never enter an immigration office or no Thailand!" as simple as that.

1 minute ago, Naam said:

for me and my wife the alpha and omega was from the beginning "either never enter an immigration office or no Thailand!" as simple as that.

I wasn't necessarily talking about you I was talking about visas in general. For many people they are now easier to get then they ever have been. That was my only point and nothing to do with you. 

We all have had to enter an immigration office at some point or another. lol

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

sounds strange as i have never heard that a Farang couple has to endure this procedure. but whatever i now assume you are telling the truth and hereby humbly apologise. accepted?

Just because you have never heard of it, does not make it fact.

I suppose the photo was because my wife piggy-backs my retirement extension.

Yes, thank you, I do accept your apology.

Just now, smotherb said:

Just because you have never heard of it, does not make it fact.

I suppose the photo was because my wife piggy-backs my retirement extension.

Yes, thank you, I do accept your apology.

Who cares? let's get back to discussing if options are dwindling.

Just now, smotherb said:

I care.

okay great. I am disconcerted to hear that for whatever reason you and your wife are catalogued and photographed like Khmer Rouge prisoners. My condolences. Does this make you feel like the chances to go to other countries around the world are dwindling?

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

I splurged tonight. Wanted a few days to relax as I'm on the run for the next few weeks again.  $90. 2br on the beach.  Fully fitted out, great Internet.  Even did laundry.  Lovely apartment. Not the perfect beach,  but close to the airport as I leave early tomorrow for Malta. 

For lunch was a foot long sandwich,  chips, beer. 6E. A bit over 220B. On the beach.  Larnaca,  Cyprus. 

FB_IMG_1493810389524.jpg

Can you actually swim at the beach there if you wanted to?

Thanks for all the comments guys. I put my emphasis on "compared to 5 years" ago. Not wanting to go into too much detail, a number of so called "emerging 3rd world countries", political stability is rather on the decline instead of on the increase. While at the same time "infrastructure" has not improved in a meaningful way.
The south of Europe has gotten expensive and the winters are not warm enough (exept for the Canary Islands). Most of the Caribbean Islands have also become "pricey". Of course, somebody with unlimited financial resources, will not have to take this into consideration.

As far as prices are concerned, the price increases we have witnessed in Thailand over the past 5 years, appear modest to me, in comparison to other places. Having said all that, I am getting the impression that retirement options have gotten fewer compared to 5 years ago. So, anybody contemplating "pulling up stakes" in Thailand, should think twice.
Cheers.