Car Tax Sticker Fee for Facilitator?

texanaust

My car tax sticker is expired and I am getting one of our condo maintenance guys to renew the tax for us.  As usual, they told me to pay what I like...What is the going rate for someone to run out on their motorbike and pay this for me?  They would be leaving from South Jomtien Beach.  Thanks.

We just renewed ours...  my Wife took care of it. I think she did it online. 

If your car is less than 5 years old it should be simple enough. 

What's it worth to you to have someone else travel to the DLT with your blue book and renew the tax for you?

I'd offer them 200 baht....  

BUT, I wouldn't let them go for me without arranging an agreed fee first, doing so would leave yourself open to an issue, especially if they are thinking they will get a quick B1000 while you are thinking to pay B100...  Agree a price first !!!

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We just renewed ours...  my Wife took care of it. I think she did it online. 

If your car is less than 5 years old it should be simple enough. 

What's it worth to you to have someone else travel to the DLT with your blue book and renew the tax for you?

I'd offer them 200 baht....  

BUT, I wouldn't let them go for me without arranging an agreed fee first, doing so would leave yourself open to an issue, especially if they are thinking they will get a quick B1000 while you are thinking to pay B100...  Agree a price first !!!

Under 500 baht because that would be the fine for getting stopped while driving to do it myself!  And yes normally they give me a price on various things, but my wife asked and I guess they were being nice...

You also apply for your tax renewal online... 

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/

The English language part of the site is awful and doesn't have the correct links... 

In the Thai part of the site you can pay online and have the tax delivered. 

If the only reason you are not doing this yourself is to avoid the possibility of a fine - It may be worth just doing it yourself and risking the stop.

In Bangkok I was driving for 3 months before the BiB pulled me over and told me my tax was 3 months out of date. 

I gave him 100B and said thanks... I went to the DLT the next day and renewed my tax. 

14 hours ago, tolsti said:

alternatively you could just get off your Texan sized butt (everything is bigger in Texas) and do it yourself. 

Yes and I should have!  I was just trying to be legal...unfortunately the guy who went off and did it for me does not return to work until after 4pm today.  If I'd known that I would have done it myself this morning.  Oh well, lesson learned!

3 hours ago, texanaust said:

Yes and I should have!  I was just trying to be legal...unfortunately the guy who went off and did it for me does not return to work until after 4pm today.  If I'd known that I would have done it myself this morning.  Oh well, lesson learned!

With the added bonus of not having negotiated the fee as well?

43 minutes ago, Oink said:

I would not give my Blue Book to anyone I could not trust 100%. They could sell the car :shock1:

No need to get the OP worried.... but you do have a point..

50 minutes ago, texanaust said:

All taken care of and yes the car is still in my name!

Good that you managed to sort it out but based on the thread I referenced before, I would be very cautious about letting relative strangers do this for you next time.

A synopsis of the story is a former employee fraudulently but quite easily reported a company vehicle's blue book as lost to the police, obtained a replacement from the transport office and went to a finance company and got a loan against a car she didn't ever own. The owners were only aware of it after she left their employment, apparently defaulted on the loan and the finance company came to repossess the car that as far as the owners knew was already bought and paid for. The worrying aspect is nobody has to have actual physical possession of your car to claim title on it or use the title for loans as long as they have had access to the blue book. It is not uncommon apparently.

4 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Just use one of the many places with the blue and yellow gear sign, they also sell the compulsory insurance , so easy.

Those inspection shops will do the needful even if your ride is newer and doesn't need the annual inspection? I guess it's easier money for them without the inspection. That's a handy alternative to know.

9 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Those inspection shops will do the needful even if your ride is newer and doesn't need the annual inspection? I guess it's easier money for them without the inspection. That's a handy alternative to know.

yes they do and if you already have the compulsory insurance the Local tesco lotus have a lady there saturday and sunday who will issue the tax disc/sticker

15 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The worrying aspect is nobody has to have actual physical possession of your car to claim title on it or use the title for loans as long as they have had access to the blue book. It is not uncommon apparently.

That's why my insurance company said never to carry the blue book in the car. Just a copy and even that should not really be left in the vehicle.

7 minutes ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

the Local tesco lotus have a lady there saturday and sunday who will issue the tax disc/sticker

Which Tesco is that? I know you can do the car tax at BigC on most Saturday mornings but a second option would be nice.

If you're worried about people absconding with your blue/green book, make sure to sign the back page where it has your name under ownership of the vehicle, when transferring without the owner present, the signature has to match with the power of attorney letter and the transfer documents... so most people leave it blank to make the eventual resell easier

Archived