Passport with 1 TV & 3 ED visas -- where best for a tourist visa?

In my passport I have a tourist visa from Vientiane, followed by 3 ED visas, all from Vientiane, to learn Thai. Yes, I now speak, read and write almost fluent Thai, if immigration decide to interview me at the airport. I'm 48 years old. I've heard that these days ED visas are a red flag to some immigration officials.

My final extension expires on 16 May and I want to apply for one more tourist visa before I fly back to Europe in order to spend the remainder of this year (or longer) with my mother, who is ill.

1. Will I still be able to get a tourist visa at Vientiane? Is Savannakhet or Penang a better alternative?

2. What's the situation at those consulates? Do they require 20,000 Baht cash? onward plane ticket? a bank book? a chanote (proof of my ownership of condo)?

3. Will I get refused entry by the immigration officials at Don Muang airport? At a land border?

My apologies for a lot of questions.

I think you will get a tourist visa without difficulty at some locations. The absolute best place in the region now to apply is Hong Kong in my opinion. However, I would expect Vientiane to give you one (possibly with a red stamp implying it is the last they will issue you).

I suggest you are careful about where you enter Thailand. Both the bridge Vientiane/Nong Khai and Suvarnabhumi airport should be OK. If using the airport, ensure you have 20,000 baht cash just in case they decide to be suspicious. Avoid Don Muang!

Since you only have one tourist visa from Vientiane you should not have a problem getting another one there. They normally only count tourist visas not other visas you have gotten from them.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you only have one tourist visa from Vientiane you should not have a problem getting another one there. They normally only count tourist visas not other visas you have gotten from them.

Thank you, Joe (and Tim too) :smile:

But since I already have four visa stamps from Vientiane, I worry about them refusing me this time.

It's a nice town, so I suppose I should follow your advice and risk one final trip there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Won't 3 ED visas (all from Vientiane) be a major red flag, though? Even if someone studies Thai full-time, he'll always be under the suspicion of working illegally in Thailand. Being a bit older at 48 won't lift that suspicion.

Are Vientiane lenient? If so, he could still face a hostile reception at Don Muang or Swampy airport.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, chippendale said:

Thank you, Joe (and Tim too) :smile:

But since I already have four visa stamps from Vientiane, I worry about them refusing me this time.

It's a nice town, so I suppose I should follow your advice and risk one final trip there.

Unless your last visa from Vientiane has a stamp on it that reads something like, "This person travels frequently to Thailand...." you should be OK for one more.  But you could also just go to Penang, leaving Vientiane for a future visit - but I'd get a new passport before your next trip back, so those ED visas are no longer visible to the next IO.

Personally, I would never risk flying in, anymore.  There seem to be some IOs at airports who consider themselves the ethnic-cleansing police - would prohibit all long-stayers if they could (see https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/981637-don-muang-airport-clamping-down/?do=findComment&comment=11859166). 

Where ever you enter, do have 20K Baht worth of cash or travelers checks when entering, plus evidence of where you will be staying, plus an explanation of what you plan to do here, and how you can pay for it without working here (proof of income might help).