Now I know why they built the new walkway the way they did!

thaibeachlovers

Just arrived in town today and passed by the row of hawker stalls that lined the walkway. I presume they were erected for Songkran, as all empty.

Now the reason for making the new walkway as it is, devoid of shade trees and benches- Is explained. It was intended to be somewhere to erect hundreds of stalls without them being in the street as in the past. Never let something as unimportant as a nice place to walk and people watch get in the way of making money by erecting hundreds of tents for hawkers to sell the usual c**p and even more food places in a city with thousands already.

They were erected this week for the seafood festival from the 5th to the 7th. Lots of pop-up BBQs and restaurants. Most of the stands have Thai names but I did see one in English for Monkey Bakery. Make of that what you will. 

Some stages also erected, so expect seafood related musical performances. Fillet Phil and the Fish Fingered Five are headlining. They will perform their greatest hits including Prawn To Be Wild and Cod Only Knows.

Be there or be square!

Edited by champers

2 hours ago, champers said:

They were erected this week for the seafood festival from the 5th to the 7th. Lots of pop-up BBQs and restaurants. Most of the stands have Thai names but I did see one in English for Monkey Bakery. Make of that what you will. 

Some stages also erected, so expect seafood related musical performances. Fillet Phil and the Fish Fingered Five are headlining. They will perform their greatest hits including Prawn To Be Wild and Cod Only Knows.

Be there or be square!

Even at six squid, gotta be worth the cover price! 

Just arrived in town today and passed by the row of hawker stalls that lined the walkway. I presume they were erected for Songkran, as all empty.

Now the reason for making the new walkway as it is, devoid of shade trees and benches- Is explained. 

Our Architectural and Landscaping team have already drawn up plans on how to make the promenade a nice place again....

1st... We plan to tear out the whole colored brick walkway....The new walkway will have beautiful brown pavers...

2nd...We plan to get rid of most of the stupid boring palm trees

and plant many many native hardwood trees that will provide

nice shade for everyone....

3rd..We plan to build lots and lots of seating all up and down

the beach

4th ..We plan to plant a number of small raised  flower beds that will be well maintained and taken care of every day.....

Edited by fforest1

46 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

Our Architectural and Landscaping team have already drawn up plans on how to make the promenade a nice place again....

1st... We plan to tear out the whole colored brick walkway....The new walkway will have beautiful brown pavers...

the beach

4th ..We plan to plant a number of small raised  flower beds that will be well maintained and taken care of every day.....

And in what fantasy world does your team exist? 

Hint:  Emoticons go a long way to denoting mockery/sarcasm, which I assume is what that was?  :unsure:

The wide spacious Beach Rd promenade is used more in the mornings & evenings by joggers & tourists who want to take an evening stroll. True, there is less seating for the fat farang to spend his day gawking at the passing traffic or pedestrians. So they end up hovering around the 2-3 round Beach Rd modern statues showing off their tanned blubber & aging tattoos. ( What a class act.) All we need is for the city to maintain the crumbling promenade-- but Thais do not budget for repairs. Sad since Beach Rd walkway is a major attraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, toenail said:

The wide spacious Beach Rd promenade is used more in the mornings & evenings by joggers & tourists who want to take an evening stroll. True, there is less seating for the fat farang to spend his day gawking at the passing traffic or pedestrians. So they end up hovering around the 2-3 round Beach Rd modern statues showing off their tanned blubber & aging tattoos. ( What a class act.) All we need is for the city to maintain the crumbling promenade-- but Thais do not budget for repairs. Sad since Beach Rd walkway is a major attraction.

I could be wrong but you seem to have changed your view since you and I first discussed the matter.

Re: vendor tents & stalls, how memories are fading. The gridlock caused by the vendor tents were a major reason, perhaps THE reason, for the Promenade redevelopment. And I pointed this out at the time:

On 7/31/2013 at 8:54 AM, JSixpack said:

. . . the vendor tents (and setting up the vendor tents) create traffic havoc. So the new lane definitely WILL help relieve that havoc. It's perfectly reasonable to expect that's one of the purposes of the new lane. How could it not be? . . .

How much it's going to be relieved is not yet known. It will be substantial, but then the relief itself may just attract more festival goers with nowhere to park.

I hate those dam_n festivals with a passion, but obviously many people do like them. And they're good earners for the mafia. They aren't going to go away, ever.

If the new lane means I can again travel on Beach Rd during festivals if I want to, then that's good. As it is, many of us have to avoid Beach Rd altogether.

We'll see.

The booths and stalls get a significant amount of business during the festivals I think. Perhaps during the festival times our Golden Egg Layers can save up for a beer and simply sit at a bar across the street and people watch.

Edited by JSixpack

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

I could be wrong but you seem to have changed your view since you and I first discussed the matter.

Re: vendor tents & stalls, how memories are fading. The gridlock caused by the vendor tents were a major reason, perhaps THE reason, for the Promenade redevelopment. And I pointed this out at the time:

The booths and stalls get a significant amount of business during the festivals I think. Perhaps during the festival times our Golden Egg Layers can save up for a beer and simply sit at a bar across the street and people watch.

In a city without any parks available to most, the beach walkway provided for both people watchers and joggers ( not many there in the early morning when toenail says the joggers go out ).

I would have expected nothing else from you than to require people to frequent a bar to be able to look at the sea. Capitalism 101- take away every free thing and make people pay for it instead.

Don't it always seem to go 
That you don't know what you've got til its gone 
They paved paradise 
And put up a parking lot

Joni Mitchell.

6 hours ago, toenail said:

Why don't you tell us how you really feel about old people? So sorry to offend your eyes.

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In a city without any parks available to most, the beach walkway provided for both people watchers and joggers ( not many there in the early morning when toenail says the joggers go out ).

I would have expected nothing else from you than to require people to frequent a bar to be able to look at the sea. Capitalism 101- take away every free thing and make people pay for it instead.

Don't it always seem to go 
That you don't know what you've got til its gone 
They paved paradise 
And put up a parking lot

Joni Mitchell.

It's most unbecoming a senior citizen, esp a farang, to be so selfish. You see, it's not all about you. Learn to share for a few days, every couple months or so, with those (Thais and noob tourists, mainly) who enjoy the festivals along the Promenade.

People watching, covered already. (Bar not your thing, there are plenty of restos and even a couple of Starbucks. Sit under a beach umbrella or on the your own mat.)  Joggers, go out real early, when it's cooler anyway.

Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

14 hours ago, JSixpack said:

It's most unbecoming a senior citizen, esp a farang, to be so selfish. You see, it's not all about you. Learn to share for a few days, every couple months or so, with those (Thais and noob tourists, mainly) who enjoy the festivals along the Promenade.

People watching, covered already. (Bar not your thing, there are plenty of restos and even a couple of Starbucks. Sit under a beach umbrella or on the your own mat.)  Joggers, go out real early, when it's cooler anyway.

Where there's a will, there's a way. :)

Hmmmmm. I was unaware that all the cities in the world that provide parks were only doing so for selfish reasons. The walkway was the only "park" available in the city and depriving the very people that finance the city ( the tourists ) of that facility shows how uncaring the city authorities are in the pursuit of mammon.

As for your contention that hundreds of stalls selling the same c**p that is sold by hundreds of shops and markets elsewhere constitute a "festival" :cheesy:.

I've been to many festivals on Beach Rd over the years and the stalls are irrelevant to them. Their only point is to enrich certain people that are renting out the people's land to stall holders.

If the city authorities actually gave a damn, they would have reclaimed an area off the beach to erect a soundshell and space for the audience, but they only care about making money, so just needed space for stalls.

it's not all about you. :cheesy:

I'm rarely in Pattaya and even when I am during a festival I don't frequent the stalls as they are congested, dangerous and unneccessary If I want cheap junk and such I'll go to one of the regular markets.

Learn to share for a few days, every couple months or so, with those (Thais and noob tourists, mainly) who enjoy the festivals along the Promenade.

Gee wizz, it's like there were never any festivals before the new promenade was built. They always managed in the past.

23 hours ago, toenail said:

It is odd to read the words "wide spacious Beach Rd promenade."  That is misleading.  Prior to the <deleted> promenade development project, which removed most of the old-growth shade trees and comfortable sitting areas,  the promenade area was wider than it is now.  It was wider by the width of one traffic lane.  Before the <deleted> development project the vast majority of tents were set up on the promenade itself and not on the road.  The tents were placed across from each other (two rows) with a walking area between them.  Because the project made the promenade less spacious/wide, two rows of tents--in many places--could no longer fit, so they started putting more and more of them on the road. 

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronyms removed.

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hmmmmm. I was unaware that all the cities in the world that provide parks were only doing so for selfish reasons. The walkway was the only "park" available in the city and depriving the very people that finance the city ( the tourists ) of that facility shows how uncaring the city authorities are in the pursuit of mammon.

No. Many tourists and Thais, local and non-local (TAT: TVF doesn't allow non-local Thais to be called "tourists" under any circumstances), do enjoy the festivals (such as they are) and the booths and stalls. You merely want to deprive them of that enjoyment, which only comes every couple months or so. And these are also helping to finance the city and there's no evidence anywhere that they somehow discourage tourism in any way. 

As for your contention that hundreds of stalls selling the same c**p that is sold by hundreds of shops and markets elsewhere constitute a "festival" :cheesy:.

The word "festival" is a lot shorter than " hundreds of stalls selling the same c**p that is sold by hundreds of shops and markets elsewhere," and is the common term by which everyone know it, so I think it's just a lot more rational to keep using the common term. Many, esp those Thais and tourists who like the festivals, like stalls selling c**p, would disagree w/ your designation and they greatly outnumber you. So let's be unselfish and let them have some days, every couple months or so, to enjoy what we ourselves may not.

I've been to many festivals on Beach Rd over the years and the stalls are irrelevant to them. Their only point is to enrich certain people that are renting out the people's land to stall holders.

Our forum members can never see any patrons at any establishment they don't like whether a mall, a Starbucks, or a booth. ;) Means nothing. Nobody knows how much profit those stalls make and as the stall holders think it's worth renting a space, festival after festival, year after year, then your latest economic analysis looks again doubtful and merely a "wish" owing to personal bias.

Gee wizz, it's like there were never any festivals before the new promenade was built. They always managed in the past.

Exactly. Festivals were also held on the old promenade, so you don't have anything new here. And as they were well-attended, the little space for walking between booths was so crowded that you could merely shuffle. Jogging was quite impossible but also driving owing to the gridlock becoming really intolerable--and that's been relieved. As Pattaya grew (contrary to our doomsters and deathwatchers ), the festivals become even more popular and frequent.

Hence what we really have here is mostly just another little excuse to whinge about the new promenade, probably your favorite subject. Yawn.

Edited by JSixpack

I took a stroll early yesterday evening to take a closer look at the festival stalls along with the girlfriend. Even though it was early; 5.30; business was brisk. Fresh crab, various prawns, mussels, lobster, oysters and fish were avaiable to choose in a clean market setting. My girlfriend remarked that prices were cheap. Large cooking stations are in situ to cook the customer's choices and lots of seating and tables on the beach (some hiso, most not hiso) where people can eat. Taiwanese, Japanese and Chinese varieties of seafood were also available. We tried some pick and mix sushi which went down a treat.

All in all it looks like a very well organised and succesful festival. TAT are part of the organisational team along with bodies representing the hotel and F&B industries. Well done, I say.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:05 AM, fforest1 said:

Now the reason for making the new walkway as it is, devoid of shade trees and benches- Is explained. 

the beach

Sounds like a Plan to me................:partytime2:

On 05/05/2017 at 1:29 AM, champers said:

Be there or be square!

Do you know if they will be singing rock lobster? Fish finger five are my favourite.