Double track railway expedited for EEC

Double track railway expedited for EEC

BANGKOK, 5 May 2017 (NNY) - The Eastern Economic Corridor (EEC) commitee is pushing for a study on the construction of a double track railway to connect three main ports in Thailand. 

Minister of Industry Uttama Savanayana said the committee had urged the State Railway of Thailand, the Port Authority of Thailand and the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (I-EA-T) to develop a master plan of the double track railway project. The railway, which will connect Laem Chabang, Sattahip and Map Ta Phut ports, is expected to enhance the logistic system of the EEC. 

The master plan will be submitted to the EEC committee, chaired by the prime minister, for consideration. 

The I-EA-T was tasked by the committee to provide areas where SMEs can use for free or with little cost. 

The committee also approved the establishment of digital industry promotion zones and assigned the Ministry of Digital Economy and Society to conduct a feasibility study on the project.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-05

More rail line studies...HS trains, double rail lines, monorails, light rail ..nothing ever gets completed ....and the build stage just fades off into the distant future.

Thailand will have the same rail system in 10 years time, maybe with the addition a few more Chinese carriages.

1 hour ago, ChrisY1 said:

More rail line studies...HS trains, double rail lines, monorails, light rail ..nothing ever gets completed ....and the build stage just fades off into the distant future.

Thailand will have the same rail system in 10 years time, maybe with the addition a few more Chinese carriages.

Afraid to say but I agree with you Chris. I'm a great rail enthusiast as I truly believe they are the best alternative to either air or road  being both environmentally and economically better and a much safer,  pleasurable way to travel. But dear Thailand just seems to get bogged down in red tape or  unnecessary bureaucracy. Very reminiscent of my home country, the UK, I hasten to add!

This appears to be simply a track-doubling of the exisiting under-used single-track meter-gauge line past Laem Chabang to Pattaya & Sattahip.

But risks duplicating whatever is already-planned, for the medium-speed heavy-freight line down from China/Laos, via the North-of-Bangkok interchange, and which is primarily intended to get Chinese exports to Thai ports.

Incidentally I believe that Laem Chabang is already a World-Top-20 container-port ? !

More detail needed, to judge its relevance, meanwhile let's generate some nice study-fees ! :wink: