Man killed as grenade used to threaten 'abusive' son explodes

Man killed as grenade used to threaten 'abusive' son explodes 
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A 58-year-old man was killed when a grenade he used to threaten his “abusive” son slipped out of his hand and exploded in Lop Buri province on Thursday night, police said.

The explosion occurred at a house in Moo 10 in Tambon Phokaoton in Muang district.

The man was identified as Wiroj Wongsaksuk. His right hand was torn off by the blast and his body and legs were hit by bomb shrapnel.

His wife told police that Wiroj tried to threaten his son, Apichai, 29, to lower his music volume. She said the two quarrelled many times over the loud music.

The wife added that the son often beat up his father during their quarrels so this time he used a grenade to try to intimidate the son.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30314303

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-05

A grenade for intimidation? Jesus, what next? Wouldn't it have been easier to kick the son out of the house years ago. Both would have probably had better lives and the father wouldn't now be dead. Very sad, but also very stupid.

Another case of mummys little spoilt brat not respecting his father.

To use a grenade to threaten his son WOW, how as a greanade going to do that?

Hey son you stand over there and catch this grenade when i throw it, crazy thinking.

Poor man is dead due to his own stupidity.

What on earth was he doing with a grenade at home ??? !!!

... Who keeps a grenade a home ??... 

... the insane part of this story, well, its all insane, is that someone mentally unstable enough to use a grenade to threaten their own child (or anyone else), can so readily get their hands on a device used to main handfuls of people at one time... 

... Mad !!!

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

A grenade for intimidation? Jesus, what next? Wouldn't it have been easier to kick the son out of the house years ago. Both would have probably had better lives and the father wouldn't now be dead. Very sad, but also very stupid.

A Thai father would never throw his child out of the house. Whatever the circumstances. TIT.

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

"OK Son,If you don't turn down the music,then I will drop this grenade and you will inherit this house,my car and all of my possessions.".

2 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

The son sounds like a real gem !

Why do parents in Thailand put up with the abuse from their sons ? Oh yea,The son is the one that is suposed to take care of their bones and ashes when they go.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

What on earth was he doing with a grenade at home ??? !!!

... Who keeps a grenade a home ??... 

... the insane part of this story, well, its all insane, is that someone mentally unstable enough to use a grenade to threaten their own child (or anyone else), can so readily get their hands on a device used to main handfuls of people at one time... 

... Mad !!!

Growing up in Canada during the 1950's & '60's.....  we had a World War II vet living across the street that kept a couple of grenades at home.  And he also kept a Lee-Enfield .303 rifle, and a .45 Colt semi-auto complete with holster and two spare mags, that he got from a U.S. officer in Europe during the war. (They traded pistols 55555) 

The old guy was not only a Canadian vet of WW II, but he had also fought in WW I.   We kept our knowledge to ourselves over the years as Canada's weapons laws got tougher.  He passed away long long ago now.... but he was a great person....

My father, (who also was an officer in the Canadian Army...(Artillery) knew a pal of his that kept a "Sten" Mk. II 9mm submachine gun at home.... with extra mags and boxes of surplus 9mm ammo. I got to see that one also...  :)

Lot of Canadian families had guns in those days....  hunting rifles and shot guns or military stuff from the wars.    

But our friend across the street was the only one I knew personally that had grenades. 

Times have certainly changed.... and we've all gotten older.

Edited by Catoni
correction

Blew off his right hand??? OK, safety pin removed to heighten threat, grenade slips, flapper disengages to activate fuse. So did he take a few seconds to ponder what to do with it, or was it an instantaneous fuse as used in booby traps, or did he drop it and try to pick it up?

16 hours ago, halloween said:

Blew off his right hand??? OK, safety pin removed to heighten threat, grenade slips, flapper disengages to activate fuse. So did he take a few seconds to ponder what to do with it, or was it an instantaneous fuse as used in booby traps, or did he drop it and try to pick it up?

Perhaps (my conjecture) while putting the pin back on to the grenade he drop it. Then it was hallelujah, praise be the name of God.

There are grenades which you can put the pin back without exploding. On second thought why are they keeping grenade in the house ?

15 minutes ago, madusa said:

Perhaps (my conjecture) while putting the pin back on to the grenade he drop it. Then it was hallelujah, praise be the name of God.

There are grenades which you can put the pin back without exploding. On second thought why are they keeping grenade in the house ?

yeah... the grenades of most countries today have both 1. a safety clip...and also 2. the ring with pin, and also 3. the safety lever...(called a "spoon" in the U.S. and Canada and a few other countries.) 

You hold the "spoon" against the grenade while removing clip and pulling the ring and pin.  The grenade won't explode until releasing the "Spoon" which fires the cap that starts the internal fuse burning. Then you have only a very few quick seconds until a big "bang" and lots of damage.

Yes... as long as the "spoon" safety lever has not been released.. the pin and ring can be re-inserted, and the safety clip put back on, and things will be okay.. 

But instant that "spoon" comes flying off.....   it's game over.... . you better throw it far in a safe direction and lay down fast.  Best with feet toward the grenade...  cover your head with your hands..

Edited by Catoni
correction

7 minutes ago, madusa said:

Removing/replacing pin is possible but not recommended, and fuse is not activated until flapper disengages - that is what the pin prevents. But if it blew his hand off, it would appear it was still being held or that he was attempting to pick it up after dropping it.

Fuses are either instantaneous, or with a (approximate) time setting, usually 10 seconds(?). Have to wonder if he let the flapper go, then stood there looking at it until it exploded. 

Bloody hell!

Grenade!

Threaten his child, his son with a GRENADE!!! Was he sick in the head!

So aggressive here...

Where did he get that from? What other arms may he have hidden in his home??

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Are things normal here? Many say they are but reading this I have my doubts, but facts are the son can be a right pain insulting and even violent but still the sun shines out of his A>> as far as the parents are concern, so I guess you have to put up with it in some countries sad to say