Are you in the High Risk Group?

Are you in the High Risk Group?

Orlando Barton

EPTAS-69-1024x603.jpg

When I was about thirteen years old, my mother sat me down for a very serious and very short conversation.  “If I ever catch you riding, or hear about you being on a motorcycle” she said. “I’ll just shoot you in the head or poison your food.  That way I’ll get to say a proper goodbye”.  So opposed was she to motorcycles that I couldn’t even watch movies that romanticized the motorcycle culture.  To this day I still refer to two-wheeled motorized conveyances using the same phrase she did; “murder-cycles”.

And I obeyed my mother’s command for nearly four decades.  Then, at the ripe old age of 38, I came to Thailand.  I remember my first ride on the back of a Bangkok moto-taxi like it was yesterday.  Two of my friends had already saddled up and were waiting for me to follow them about 300 meters to the Skytrain.  With my dear old mom’s warning burning in my ears, I hopped aboard and felt the rush of freedom overtake me.  Weaving through traffic engulfed in toxic fumes and completely exposed in the most deadly traffic environment on planet Earth.  It was exhilarating.

Since then, I’ve limited my motorcycle excursions to times of extreme need. I don’t know anyone who lives here that routinely rides a motorcycle that hasn’t been in at least one accident.  More than a few of my friends have met an untimely demise this way.  I figure since I only take about one motorbike ride a year, I’m taking myself out of the high risk group.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/high-risk-group/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-05-07

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just last night in Hua Hin I got my right foot run over by a car while I was sitting in traffic on my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle . not joking.

interesting as my foot is ok this morning. my big toe is sort of red and swollen.

man, this mid life crisis pretending I am 25 five again thing is dangerous. maybe I will get rid of my motorcycle and just have unprotected sex from now on.

Edited by NCC1701A

Nope - won't ride here....Have had everything from Goldwings to Ducati's but don't even bother with our Honda Click here.....

Part of that is age & the heat - I don't bounce well anymore & part of that is what I see on the road....

4 wheels is just fine.....

"I don’t know anyone who lives here that routinely rides a motorcycle that hasn’t been in at least one accident"

...at least one! Oh really?

I know for some posters Thai bashing is a religion on TV, but I'm tired with this daily negativity all the time about everything

I am driving my  motorbike every single day in LOS for five years never had an accident.  

PS: And I have a car but good luck in Samui, unless one goes somewhere with a car park like Tesco, Macro, Home pro & company:whistling: Pffff

ive had a couple long trips to hospital cause of the motorbike but still cant wait to heal up enough to get back on..  hate having to drive the car every where.  and for the people who say bad things about thailand traffic,, it is only cause they have never travelled to any other country.. very easy to spot poor people.

i have put 24,000 kilometers on my Kawasaki 650 VERSYS  here in Thailand on many long road trips and last night's small scrape was my first issue here.

it helps a lot to remember to be in "ultra defense mode" because they really are trying to kill you. :smile:

Motorbike is high risk but for me it's the most relaxed way of transport. Bi-cycling is sky-high risk i think although their lights attitude is becoming better ...

Edited by Jack Mountain

OK I have to tell this story. I am pulling out of the Shell station in Hua Hin this morning on my motorcycle. Three of these huge tours buses are heading south and the first bus turns right into the Shell station, then the second bus which follows and stops behind the first bus and now that bus is blocking the entire north bound lanes. Then the third bus follows and that bus is now blocking one of the two south bound lanes with his rear end sticking way out.

All I am trying to do is turn right to go south bound and traffic is stacking up in the now half blocked south bound lanes. I just sat there and waited for the first PhD bus driver to figure out he needs to pull forward. I never saw it happen. I just took my chances with the almost stopped south bound traffic and got out of there.

Not really a motorcycle story but I feel better now. :cheesy:

Edited by NCC1701A

I do a 60 km ride twice a week to feed two lovely dogs and I use this little click daily. I fancy a bike, nothing loud though I don't like noisy machines so I'm after a 2nd hand starter bike to get me going. I want an automatic style bike. All suggestions welcome.

I feel safer riding in any lane but the right hand one.

Had been routinely riding my Honda Wave in Thai, Laos, and Cambodia (including in Bangkok and Phnompenh, and long-distance rides such as Bangkok - ChiangKhong, Bangkok - SiemRiap or OddarMeanchey - Phnompenh, some with a sidecar attached, too) roughly for 5 years, averaging about 10 000 km a year. Only had one minor accident with no other vehicles involved (high-speed encounter with unseen bump on the highway sent me flying in the air, didn't go to hospital although some people said I should have to, the bike did go to the repairshop). Now that bike is gone cause I had to leave SEA for a while. Probably getting another one shortly.

I don't have motorbike driver licence, my car driver licence from home country has long expired, I only wear helmet on highways or when know there will be checkpoints, carry three passengers two of whom are helmetless kids, drive on the wrong side of the road, and I do drive drunk. So, apparently in the High Risk Group )))))

Have never overstayed my permission to stay for more than one day (that only happened once because of weather), and never run red light, at least deliberately, though

1274896_10200615128884283_96882087_o.jpg

4 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Had been routinely riding my Honda Wave in Thai, Laos, and Cambodia (including in Bangkok and Phnompenh, and long-distance rides such as Bangkok - ChiangKhong, Bangkok - SiemRiap or OddarMeanchey - Phnompenh, some with a sidecar attached, too) roughly for 5 years, averaging about 10 000 km a year. Only had one minor accident with no other vehicles involved (high-speed encounter with unseen bump on the highway sent me flying in the air, didn't go to hospital although some people said I should have to, the bike did go to the repairshop). Now that bike is gone cause I had to leave SEA for a while. Probably getting another one shortly.

I don't have motorbike driver licence, my car driver licence from home country has long expired, I only wear helmet on highways or when know there will be checkpoints, carry three passengers two of whom are helmetless kids, drive on the wrong side of the road, and I do drive drunk. So, apparently in the High Risk Group )))))

Have never overstayed my permission to stay for more than one day (that only happened once because of weather), and never run red light, at least deliberately, though

I appreciate your honesty and it sounds like you are a very experienced rider but driving helmet less and allowing kids to do the same is just wrong. 

11 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

wow you are having a big adventure here in SEA. very cool.

I think one thing that anyone on any type of motorbike/cycle is to wear a proper helmet. Not a 300 baht piece of plastic from Tesco Lotus. I also have a Click and always wear my helmet 100% of the time. No exceptions.  Also protects yours eyes and cuts down on the very high UV rays here.

Edited by NCC1701A

Rode my first mini bike when I was 10.  I was hooked.  Over the years I had various types of bikes for street & off road.  When my beautiful, wonderful wife of 20 years finally died of cancer, I was devastated. Half of me was gone.  I sold my business to my partners, sold my house & car, bought a new Ninja 650, filled a backpack, and for the next 4 years I lived on that bike, visiting every state in the continental U.S. 

Came to Thailand 11 years ago on vacation, met the woman who would become the 2nd who would be married to "that crazy Marine guy".  Bought a CBR125.  The old model.  Indestructible little bike!  Sold it, after a year and bought the "new" version.  Kept that for 6 months, did a couple of "road trips" on it just for fun, but finally sold it after 6 months and bought a CBR250. The road was mine. Once a month I would do a 4-5-6 day road trip to different parts of the north and northeast.  In all my trips over the next few years, I only had one "accident' when some idiot in a pickup tried to pass another pickup, on a curve, on a 2 lane road.  I had to take the bike off the road and into a patch of gravel.  No damage, but had to lay the bike down as I couldn't go anywhere.  Finally 6 Tha in a pick up came be, saw my situation, stopped, hopped out and laughingly picked the bike up and carried it back up to the road for me.

1 year ago in January I sold that and bought a CB650f.  I was back in business big time.  Then, on the very first trip, I was on my way from Sukhothat to Tak, then back to Chiang Mai.  8:00 on a beautiful morning, no traffic for miles, clear highway, and some idiot pulls out from a fruit stand on the highway on his motorbike, right in front of me without looking. No time for me to break or turn and I slammed into him doing 120kph.  I ended up with a shattered left wrist that I can no longer bend, permanently damaged back, and needing an emergency heart bypass operation to keep from losing my right leg.  The guy I hit?  I have no idea what happened to him, and really don't care.  

The CB was totally destroyed, and I'm still paying it off, my hospital bills were over 600,000, and I'm still paying that off.  4 more months and I'll be fine.  My wife asked if I was going to buy another "big bike" when I'm able.  I thought about it for a minute and finally told her, "Yeah.  A Forza", then laughed.  I bought a 300cc Forza almost 4 years ago for my son.  He loves that bike.  I've ridden it quite a few times, and while it's big, heavy, and not the best city bike around, it's a dream on the highways.  My wife smiled and said: "Good.  You 66 now.  Don't need big bike again".  It kills me to admit it, but she's probably right. From the injuries I suffered (and still suffering from), I think my adrenaline  rush days are over, and a Forza would be fine.  Make a good Christmas present for me.  I should be able to ride one by then. 

As a side note, when I ride, I wear full body armor and one damn expensive helmet.  Cops and doctors both told me that probably saved my life.  

Edited by Just1Voice
Add information

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I think one thing that anyone on any type of motorbike/cycle is to wear a proper helmet. Not a 300 baht piece of plastic from Tesco Lotus. I also have a Click and always wear my helmet 100% of the time. No exceptions.  

In that only accident I mentioned, I think the helmet saved me, cause I landed right on my head. The visor cracked, otherwise no significant damage. Bought it for 450 baht from a roadside shop in Trat. It can be seen in the picture. It is lined with about 2 cm layer of something like stiff foam. Loved it. And I do some sort of risk management, thank you )

A friend asked me how many times in the previous six months I had fallen off. he had fallen off three times. In 16 years riding in Thailand I have never fallen off. Perhaps the fact I have been riding 51 years helps. Lots of experience and self-preservation

i might regret posting this tomorrow!. 

29 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

8:00 on a beautiful morning, no traffic for miles, clear highway, and some idiot pulls out from a fruit stand on the highway on his motorbike, right in front of me without looking. No time for me to break or turn and I slammed into him doing 120kph.  

Speed. Too close to the edge of the road while passing a view-obscuring object.

1 minute ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Speed. Too close to the edge of the road while passing a view-obscuring object.

Speed?  Possibly.  But I was in the right hand lane, no other traffic in sight, and he shot out and pulled right in front of me.  He didn't even look. 

1 hour ago, bandito said:

I'm 80 and ride a motorcycle or car, here in Thailand, every day and have been doing that for over 40 years.

Never had a deadly accident with either one.

Scrapes and near misses, yes.

Amazing! I would like to hear how are are doing in general at 80 years old here in Thailand.

I still have a ways to go until I reach 80 but I am always thinking of how it will be. My plan is at 70 to have a girlfriend who is a nurse.  :smile:

25 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Speed?  Possibly.  But I was in the right hand lane, no other traffic in sight, and he shot out and pulled right in front of me.  He didn't even look. 

Yes, he should have looked. His fault is apparent. But you crashed your bike and got injured, and still paying the bills! That *probably* could have been avoided, considering him as an environmental factor. If the road had less than three lanes in each direction, 120 was just too fast. Otherwise, driving in the fast lane while passing something roadside would probably be safer. 

Well, not sure, I haven't been there, just speculating in view of potential risk management. No offence meant. Ride safe!

2 minutes ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Yes, he should have looked. His fault is apparent. But you crashed your bike and got injured, and still paying the bills! That *probably* could have been avoided, considering him as an environmental factor. If the road had less than three lanes in each direction, 120 was just too fast. Otherwise, driving in the fast lane while passing something roadside would probably be safer. 

Well, not sure, I haven't been there, just speculating in view of potential risk management. No offence meant. Ride safe!

No offense taken. But feel pretty good over all, since that was the first serious accident I've had in over 50 years of riding.  

i grew up on a farm in nz and bought my first bike, a DT175 at 12 years of age. great fun and a few spills over the years. over the 10 years i lived in thailand the police hassles got worse by the year. then just before i left they stopped accepting cash fines. last case it took me hours to find the cop to get my licence back. all over turn right on a red light which was actually green. if i end up living in thailand again i will get an ebike with a hand throttle so i dont have to go through the police hassles.

The paint brush!

I never go anywhere without my helmet, but this time I did as the shop was only a few hundred meters from the house.

Out of my estate & on to the main road, a white pick up truck was at least 500 meters behind so I continued out ,I indicated and moved to the middle of the road to turn right into the shop, a blast of the trucks horn sent me wobbling around the road. He was on me like it just materialised from nowhere missing me by litery inches trying to over take my right side when a double decker bus could have easily passed on my left.

The truck ended up skidding along the verge on the other side, and very slowly carried on for a hundred yards obviously looking in his mirror at me. Perhaps the driver was shocked too.

Had I not anticipated his speed?, maybe not.

I am usually very cautious and careful here when on the bike.

My wife had told me to never stop in the middle of the road just wait on the left for your chance to cross or turn because of the drivers playing with mobile, or just generally not paying attention.( I'm not talking about junctions or right hand turns to another road by the way). Now I'm confused

Maybe I wouldn't be writing this If I had of been hit the other day.

This was my closest near miss ever. I just wanted a ฿30 paintbrush.

So close to home with no helmet.

Must be high-risk, but I am what I am. I have been riding for 62 years now; I ride my Harley everyday. I  prefer it to my car. I prefer to ride without a helmet, but do wear one. Helmets are so restrictive, their only possible good is to save you physical harm. I have had to lay my bike down several times with minor repairs to bike and me. The two worst accidents I have had were almost opposites. In one, only I was hurt; in the other, only the bike was hurt. I realize the dangers, but I still feel it won't happen to me. Not exactly smart thinking, but I enjoy riding enough to keep doing it.

In the words of Dirty Harry, a man's got to know his limitations.

I ride my Yamaha TTX around Chiang Mai because it's easier than trying to get around by car. I've had one spill in 8 years, slipped on a patch of gravel. Only thing hurt was my pride. My top speed on the bike would be 60 km/hr.

If I wanted to be in a high risk group, I'd either buy a high power bike such as a Ducati, BMW, Honda CBR etc.etc.,stop wearing a helmet, or cheat on my Thai GF.