Are you in the High Risk Group?

5 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

In the words of Dirty Harry, a man's got to know his limitations.

I ride my Yamaha TTX around Chiang Mai because it's easier than trying to get around by car. I've had one spill in 8 years, slipped on a patch of gravel. Only thing hurt was my pride. My top speed on the bike would be 60 km/hr.

If I wanted to be in a high risk group, I'd either buy a high power bike such as a Ducati, BMW, Honda CBR etc.etc.,stop wearing a helmet, or cheat on my Thai GF.

And the last of those options would be the most dangerous. lol

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Speed. Too close to the edge of the road while passing a view-obscuring object.

Trying to understand this predicament too. Your doing 120mph on the left hand line and some guy pulls out abruptly? On a highway at that speed surely with clear traffic and for safety at that speed you should have been or was on the right? 

1 minute ago, Rc2702 said:

Trying to understand this predicament too. Your doing 120mph on the left hand line and some guy pulls out abruptly? On a highway at that speed surely with clear traffic and for safety at that speed you should have been or was on the right? 

I was on the right.  All the way over next to the island between the 4 lanes.  I have no clue as to what this guy was thinking, only that he pulled out, shot across the left lane, and straight into my path.  

9 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

just last night in Hua Hin I got my right foot run over by a car while I was sitting in traffic on my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle . not joking.

interesting as my foot is ok this morning. my big toe is sort of red and swollen.

man, this mid life crisis pretending I am 25 five again thing is dangerous. maybe I will get rid of my motorcycle and just have unprotected sex from now on.

Was he/she that close? Or do you have extra-big feet? 

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

OK I have to tell this story. I am pulling out of the Shell station in Hua Hin this morning on my motorcycle. Three of these huge tours buses are heading south and the first bus turns right into the Shell station, then the second bus which follows and stops behind the first bus and now that bus is blocking the entire north bound lanes. Then the third bus follows and that bus is now blocking one of the two south bound lanes with his rear end sticking way out.

All I am trying to do is turn right to go south bound and traffic is stacking up in the now half blocked south bound lanes. I just sat there and waited for the first PhD bus driver to figure out he needs to pull forward. I never saw it happen. I just took my chances with the almost stopped south bound traffic and got out of there.

Not really a motorcycle story but I feel better now. :cheesy:

Hope its a balm for your foot as well. 

Going back a good few years now, but my dad had many bikes. He had an Ariel square 4, a BSA gold star 500, a BSA C 15, he said that was the best bike BSA ever made. he had several Triumph's and ended up with a Panther 650 com.He was going to buy a Vincent 1000. That was his dream. There was a company called Deeprose brothers in London SE6 that had one in the window. He never got it, because he got a job with a company that gave him a company car. we went everywhere on those bikes, Yorkshire ( to the Panther factory in Heckmondwike Yorkshire)The Lake district, Blackpool, and down to Cornwall. I couldn't wait to get my first bike.And i was told, "dont even think about it"My dads long gone now, but i can still see him stripping down engines in my mums garden, and when it rained, in the kitchen. They were the days.When my dad used to put news papers under his leathers to stay warm in the winter.

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

just last night in Hua Hin I got my right foot run over by a car while I was sitting in traffic on my Kawasaki 650 motorcycle . not joking.

Happened to me twice, once by of all things a golf cart. Keep your legs close to the bike.

But then again I know of a guy who had his foot run over when he stepped briefly off the sidewalk.

Edited by JSixpack

21 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Happened to me twice, once by of all things a golf cart. Keep your legs close to the bike.

But then again I know of a guy who had his foot run over when he stepped briefly off the sidewalk.

Happened to you twice? you obviously are a slow learner.

Now repeat after me. " i must not put my foot where it can easily be run over"

Got it?

59 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Going back a good few years now, but my dad had many bikes. He had an Ariel square 4, a BSA gold star 500, a BSA C 15, he said that was the best bike BSA ever made. he had several Triumph's and ended up with a Panther 650 com.He was going to buy a Vincent 1000. That was his dream. There was a company called Deeprose brothers in London SE6 that had one in the window. He never got it, because he got a job with a company that gave him a company car. we went everywhere on those bikes, Yorkshire ( to the Panther factory in Heckmondwike Yorkshire)The Lake district, Blackpool, and down to Cornwall. I couldn't wait to get my first bike.And i was told, "dont even think about it"My dads long gone now, but i can still see him stripping down engines in my mums garden, and when it rained, in the kitchen. They were the days.When my dad used to put news papers under his leathers to stay warm in the winter.

I envy you having a great dad. Mine died when I was 2 years old. My stepfather his replacement was a real jerk. I left home at 15 and never looked back. I walked out into the big wide wonderful world that existed back then. I was able to flourish at a good job for most of my working life and collect a decent pension with benefits at 55. My great grandchildren will tell stories about their wayward  great grandfather maybe even write a book or two. Unless their of the caliber of Bill Gates or Warren Buffett they will be sitting at home most of their lives waiting for that check from Robotic Inc.  to come through the letter slot. The average and I mean average man was never designed in this manner. 

3 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I envy you having a great dad. Mine died when I was 2 years old. My stepfather his replacement was a real jerk. I left home at 15 and never looked back. I walked out into the big wide wonderful world that existed back then. I was able to flourish at a good job for most of my working life and collect a decent pension with benefits at 55. My great grandchildren will tell stories about their wayward  great grandfather maybe even write a book or two. Unless their of the caliber of Bill Gates or Warren Buffett they will be sitting at home most of their lives waiting for that check from Robotic Inc.  to come through the letter slot. The average and I mean average man was never designed in this manner. 

i am sorry your dad died when you were so young. My dad was my mate. We worked together and he taught me all i know. I was so sad when my mum went, but i was heart broken when my dad went.My dad was the sort of man that, if i shot the referee at a football match in front of 50,000 people, he would swear blind that i never.I was lucky too. My grandfather bought a property in Battersea, sw london, and i inherited it.At 2 years old, you never knew your dad. i am now a grandad of a beautiful boy. if i could pass on to you 50% of what i have now, i would.My daughter has a book in her mind about her erstwhile dad and his travels. Let us not disappoint our descendants in the possibility of making you and me famous.

2 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

i am sorry your dad died when you were so young. My dad was my mate. We worked together and he taught me all i know. I was so sad when my mum went, but i was heart broken when my dad went.My dad was the sort of man that, if i shot the referee at a football match in front of 50,000 people, he would swear blind that i never.I was lucky too. My grandfather bought a property in Battersea, sw london, and i inherited it.At 2 years old, you never knew your dad. i am now a grandad of a beautiful boy. if i could pass on to you 50% of what i have now, i would.My daughter has a book in her mind about her erstwhile dad and his travels. Let us not disappoint our descendants in the possibility of making you and me famous.

Over time Dave we will be famous. Its our destiny. 

9 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i will get an ebike with a hand throttle so i dont have to go through the police hassles.

You will be able to sneak up on them for sure. They quit taking bribes dear oh dear what is happening

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

interesting as my foot is ok this morning. my big toe is sort of red and swollen.

man, this mid life crisis pretending I am 25 five again thing is dangerous. maybe I will get rid of my motorcycle and just have unprotected sex from now on.

Dont mean to change the topic, sorry to hear about your foot.  The bike you have is that a KZ and what year.  I had a KZ 650  1979 when I was younger, loved that bike not too big, not too small. I have been thinking about trying to find one in LOS.  

48 minutes ago, ericthai said:

Dont mean to change the topic, sorry to hear about your foot.  The bike you have is that a KZ and what year.  I had a KZ 650  1979 when I was younger, loved that bike not too big, not too small. I have been thinking about trying to find one in LOS.  

it is a 2015 Kawasaki 650 VERSYS.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2017-Versys-650-LT

Edited by NCC1701A

I've rode bikes since I was 12 and at 55 I've had every size and kind. I currently ride a Harley Ultra Limited. I used to put on a lot of miles every year here in the states but every year I see more and more bad things from drivers. Texting is so out of hand and many accidents happen from it. I'm starting to get paranoid when I ride. I've lost a few friends from accidents. So as I'm approaching retirement and considering Thailand to live, I'm not sure I will ride over there. Maybe a scooter but not serious riding. The traffic I've seen there is horrible. I don't have a death wish. I know what taking a calculated risk is having rode for so many years, but it's just crazy anymore. So I can see myself investing in a 4 wheel cage when I get there.

26 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Nah I prefer my Honda click tune up. 

ever go from Hua Hin to Pattaya or Udon Thani on a click?

I own a Click and it is great for around town and shopping and short range adventure.

Edited by NCC1701A

3 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Happened to you twice? you obviously are a slow learner.

Now repeat after me. " i must not put my foot where it can easily be run over"

Got it?

No. One has no reason to expect a barreling golf cart to come up behind you outta nowhere on 2nd Rd.

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Amazing! I would like to hear how are are doing in general at 80 years old here in Thailand.

I still have a ways to go until I reach 80 but I am always thinking of how it will be. My plan is at 70 to have a girlfriend who is a nurse.  :smile:

Well, I am still doing fine.

Stopped smoking, drinking and working  20 years ago.

I think stop working did the trick. LOL!

I make every afternoon long walks around a large lake.

And most importantly I don't forget to breath. (smile)

Ride my scooter everyday and have been doing so for 33 years. Not always the same scooter of course. Most of my riding experience is in keeping out of the way of >=4 wheel vehicles who charge along thinking they own the road. The bigger the vehicle the more they think they own the road. If there was nothing but 2 wheelers on the road I doubt there would be any accidents.

Skinny - pot holed, rutted, sharp angled roads don't help along with the aggressive 4 wheel drivers AND 2 wheel riders - was a lot safer for them when everyone rode a 90....

Very little kamikaze lane changing then....