Are you in the High Risk Group?

12 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No. One has no reason to expect a barreling golf cart to come up behind you outta nowhere on 2nd Rd.

I dont know if you read my earlier post re your accident. I did it through my I phone, and its been a bit dodgy of late.

But i had to laugh, in fact i laughed to tears. A Golf cart came up behind you on second road and ran over your foot.Well, mate, you are in Thailand, and you must always expect the unexpected. As ridiculous as it sounds, its very funny. What course were they meant to be playing? I can only imagine the face of the tourist police officer, when you told him..." And you say a, now, let me get this straight, golf cart attacked you, no, sorry, approached you from behind on 2nd road and, hmmmph, excuse me for laughing sir, ran over your foot? Ok sir, let me get you a taxi to take you home, or would you like a taxi to the hospital to get a refill for your current medication"

Oh 'cmon. pack of 6, you have to laugh, how you gonna explain this one down the gym?

As Monty Python said.."Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition"!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

ever go from Hua Hin to Pattaya or Udon Thani on a click?

I own a Click and it is great for around town and shopping and short range adventure.

I don't know any better to be honest so what you don't know you don't miss.

I'm up for it I want a man's bike too I'm raring to go but my cautious mind won't let me.

Have rode motorbikes since being knee high, and love driving too, the thought of not being able to ride ever again...?

Enjoy your life, don't worry about things that may never happen, getting out of bed involves risk is all a matter of assessing and taking as much precaution as possible after that, well its pot luck so again why worry? rather have a bit of excitement than a long boring existence

In LOS you have as much chance of being killed whether on foot or in a car as on a bike, only those who are anti-bike go on about how dangerous riding a bike is, but it will be something totally innocent that takes your life you never seen coming...

I have ridden motorcycles my entire life. As we all know there is an inherit risk which to some, that makes it fun.  I routinely ride motorcycles (Both Wave and Yamaha R3) here in Thailand and never worry.  I guess because its 2nd nature to me.  You learn to have better peripheral vision, understand hazards etc. I couldn't live here and not ride.  I think one significant element to the OP article is location. Riding in a congested big city adds far more hazards to navigate and increases the potential of a wreck. However get out of the city and motorcycle riding is very fun and relaxing.  I love my ride to the stores or local markets on my Wave.  Couldn't imagine driving a car for those quick runs.

To the OP article, I never feel as a High Risk riding a motorcycle here.

I used to ride a bicycle to work for 10 years or so in the UK, and was hit three times....  Fortunately I was only injured in one of these accidents,the other times only my bicycle was damaged.  The car/van/ambulance (!) driver (or insurance) paid in all cases.

On the other hand, I've been riding a scooter here for 11 years now, and never been involved in an accident.  I'm not superstitious, but even so must quickly add that I'm a bit nervous stating this as far too often things go horribly wrong after saying things like this :shock1:!  So fingers crossed/touch wood etc. etc.!

Edited by dick dasterdly

23 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

But i had to laugh, in fact i laughed to tears.

It's always heart warming, that simple, childlike way in which many of our TVF posters are so easily amused. Hee hee! That's why I bothered to mention it.

Well, mate, you are in Thailand, and you must always expect the unexpected.

Yes, ma'am. But you see ma'am the unexpected doesn't care whether you expect it or not. And it's merely Thai bashing to pretend the unexpected doesn't happen in other countries, if in the way you might expect. Friend of mine in the States drove his Harley for decades and took all sensible precautions, knowing the risks full well. Still, a driver pulled out of a gas station without looking and plowed into him. He won't be working again.

What course were they meant to be playing?

Young Thai was driving the cart and I think was inexperienced and having a blast driving recklessly. He was surely delivering it either to a course or in behalf of a farang. For a time a few farangs, usually old fat guys who couldn't or wouldn't ride a bike, were driving golf carts around Pattaya.

Fortunately golf carts are relatively light and I, no tourist, was wearing heavy motorcycle boots so no harm done. It was worthy of a wry smile, hardly in the category of wild elephants rampaging in Rayong, and a bit of a head scratcher--but not so much it'd be worth relating unless a relevant topic happened to come up in conversation. Here I responded to another member who had had his foot run over.

I hope that's enough detail for your trolling purposes, and now that you've already had one post deleted perhaps you can get over the water faucet discussion and we can move on.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have had motorcycles, and I love them, for me I know better not worth the risk for me. I read  Chiang Mai is one of the worst places in Thailand motor accidents, where I plan to be soon.  Had a Kidney Transplant two years ago, and the term  used for motor cycle riders was "Donor".   :-) 

never owned a bike but when I was young I useta like to tear around on rented ones and those owned by pals, Sportsters, Triumphs, Honda and Yamaha 305, Jawa 350, etc...and I had my share of tumbles but nothin' serious...

now in my decrepitude I don't even wanna get on a small scooter...don't like driving either...the road is now to be enjoyed strapped into the passenger seat with a vodka in air conditioned comfort admiring the view...

'say, babe...mix me another one...we got enough ice?...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I was trying out a Honda CBR 250 a few years ago at an motorcycle show in the mall.  I swung my leg over the back to mount the bike and smacked my ankle on the high fin in the back.  I fractured a bone and could hardly walk for 6 months.  I got a car and driver.  Now I'm happy.

'hey, looks like we're all outta ice fer the drinks...stop at the next 7 - 11 will ye...'

'yes sir, right away sir...would you like a girl to go with the ice and soda?...'

'nah, tutsi is au naturel today...the vodka will do...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior