Thai govt to recruit skilled persons

webfact

My wife is the kind of person they should be looking to employ. She has an MSc. from a good British university. She's not a super-brain but she's diligent and responsible. She gets stuff done. She works for Western companies and her bosses appreciate the good job she does. She doesn't want to work for the Thai government for three reasons. 1) It would cut her pay in half. 2) The career path is not based on merit. 3) She'd be mostly working with and for unreasonably self-satisfied idiots. 

4 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

So up to now, what calibre of people have they been recruiting / employing ?

It's not a matter of calibre. It's more about, who in the family lacks all skills required by the private sector, and needs a secure job with a view to an inactive post.

2 hours ago, John Chennells said:

Engineering is the base of all businesses, I have 50 years of experience in engineering and would like to help with training. I live in Buriram Thailand.
email <email removed as per forum rules>

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It wasnt a job advert. 

If the chance did arise, is your thai ability up to teaching engineering?

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So how are the going to compete with the private sector in offering benefits?

Do they really think the new graduates will rush to government service "for the good of the country"?

No the medical coverage and supreme pension. Sorry Mr. Prayuth you cannot have it both ways. Limited access to the media and godfather complex style of government and people with skills. Like oil and water 

Not all recruits are dullards with family connections. I've both met and heard of very high quality staff in the Thai civil service. 

No, I don't know how those individuals navigate the system, either, but I also know that not all are corrupt. 

7 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

So how are the going to compete with the private sector in offering benefits?

Do they really think the new graduates will rush to government service "for the good of the country"?

prime minister sallary is about 4000USD per month. anyone with a brain can get employment in the private sector for more money. that  explains the caliber of current army personnel, i mean government.

I would love to see a fair work environment ,so all promotions and good paying postions are given to those who deserve and earn them,not those who are connected .it gives employees hope they have a chance to succeed...my wife now has a job at a B.J, bar.she starts tomorrow..it wont pay much but everyday she is guaranteed to  ''get a head''..

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

Aaah, knowledge and skills, that must have been the reason behind the sputtering start of the police reforming the police which started 3 years ago and has since been forgotten...

knowledge and skills are all good, but that's stuff you can learn... What about dedication, pride in your work, a sense of honor, doing the right thing? These are values that need to be instilled especially into future civil servants and public office holders

Yes, let us start with a parenting course teaching respect, love of country and honesty. 

The latter being the main reason for the stagnant economy and lack of progress. 

Corruption is rampant and I am not sure it is fixable. 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

persons with knowledge and skills will be the engine

Knowledge of what ??? How to make somtam ?

Skills? What skills ??? Making somtam ? How to scam farang and Thai ?

Engine... Mercedes have best engines !!! Thai can't build better...

T.I.T. man ! You can't be serious !!!

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Edited by FredNL

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

I am an ex-Head of English with 39 years experience.  I have offered my services free if schools will get me a permit.  Three years on I'm still waiting.

Do you know anything about submarines and can you speak Chinese ?  Those skills are most in need now.

Understand your frustration.  Thailand is an odd place. 

6 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

It wasnt a job advert. 

I would hope his ability is well beyond teaching Thai engineering. Isnt everyones?

Edited by Reigntax

10 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Thank god there are no incompetent workers in the west

And thank some invisible clown up there that "we" (On THAI visa) always have someone pointing out problems exist in the west.

You know people, without them we would all think the west is perfect in every way and without any issues what so ever,

really we would,

because we are so styupid and deluded that without such helpful posters like fulwell53

we might even forget to put out brains in our heads in the morning. thank you dear fully

PS

Dear fulwell53 could you list those incompetent workers in the west by name, obviously we've never seen any?

7 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

It wasnt a job advert. 

And with that said, I think his English reading comprehension might need a boost first.:sleepy:

18 hours ago, Reigntax said:

I would hope his ability is well beyond teaching Thai engineering. Isnt everyones?

17 hours ago, kaorop said:

And with that said, I think his English reading comprehension might need a boost first.:sleepy:

Yes, and the guy above also.....

10 hours ago, Reigntax said:

It would also appear so for the grammer nazi's

Not a grammar thing. 

I dont think you followed what i wrote, or i missed the joke in your reply?

i was talking about thai language ability of the poster who offered his services, not engineering ability; in so much that it would be very hard to teach technical subjects in a 2nd language

On 5/8/2017 at 7:40 AM, Fulwell53 said:

Thank god there are no incompetent workers in the west

No, we just have a completely different system of assessment. Actually it's true that ALL workers in the West have the ability to generate long lists of 'competencies'.

The most competent government workers here can easily demonstrate their ability by purchasing a 30 billion baht car from a 12,000 baht income and being promoted to General.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:52 AM, Orac said:

A few days short of the third anniversary of him taking power and he has finally realised that the govt should have competent people in it.

Starting to sound like Trump. "I never knew politics could be so complicated".

Edited by ben2talk