Koh Phangan & Koh Tao

Hello,

I want to know a few things about both Ko Tao and Koh Phangan.

Firstly how much is month to month for a simple place to stay on both Islands?

What types of places are generally for rent?

Will a 35000 baht budget be sufficient for the whole month? 

Best place to live for a month on both Islands?

How's the internet? What about 3/4g?

Close to a beach were I can snorkel from, that goes for both. At the same time though I'd still like to live in a good area, I'd have no problem driving 5-10 min to get to said beach.

I do not want to be near the  FMP, does KP have any areas that are super laid back and chill?

Was hoping some KP residents might help out here!

Where to start on this?  It's more expensive than Samui for what you get.... You'll still find places even on the beach, but Bedroom/ bathroom/ fan in lower price ranges .. (300 b per night and up ) Unlikely you find a place with kitchen for less than 15,000 to 16,000. baht per month. So means eating out more...  and unless you are Tongsala there is not a huge choice of cheaper eating places, or west coast section there would be a few places too or Chelaklum (north) .... Road from Tongsala to Haad Rin, full of places but not what I think you are looking for... beaches not great along there either. (west and NW beaches are nicer)

Even 7-11 is a few baht more on just about everything....  Big C and Tesco, prices should be the same as anywhere... not great selection though compared to Samui...

3 g or 4 g should be OK most places these days...

Other than a day trip to Koh Toa the other day, I cannot comment on accommodation or availability/ prices ... we rarely get anyone posting from KT... all busy diving! 

Some Dive companies I believe still will provide free accommodation if one takes a dive course.

Agree with SamuiJimmy. Koh Tao is mainly if you are a diving (or snorkling) entusiast, whilst Koh Phangan is great for relaxing and some partying in Haad Rin. Northern beaches are good, like Thong Nai Pan Yai and -Lek that are super laid back and chill, nothing happens at those Bounty-Beaches.

You can easily take a one-day trip by speed boat from Samui to Koh Tao/Koh Nangyouan, and/or the Ang Thong Marine Park; and the ferries from Big Buddha Pier to Hadd Rin and the old 12-o'clock Thong Nai Pan Express from Maenam Pier (that has long gone, so now just the beach) can give you an affordable ride to Koh Phangan. You can find reasonable priced (relative) fan-bungalows from around 600 baht or less a night; in Haad Rin area normally minimum 5-nites during the Full Moon Party-period.

For your experience you should plan a Full Moon Party trip, which you can also do by speed boat from Samui from less than 1,000 bath there-and-back, including minibus pick-up service from/to your Samui-resort. Additional 100 baht entrance fee (for armband) at FMP; but drinks are very affordable at Sunrise Beach (the party zone) compared to night-life at Samui. During monsoon-season (October to mid January) the speed boat shuttle can be little rough.

I think you should do day trips King Kong!  or even a couple of days to see what suites you... and whether you wish to stay longer on KP!

So easy to see pretty much of the island in that time,  it's not that big!

Same with Koh Toa...(even smaller!)

It's all going to be a lot different than you probably are imaging, but until getting here you won't know...! Some things will be very foreign to you, as it is with all first time visitors, but many accept that and adapt to it all and most have a good time and experience!  Be nice to the Thai's or Burmese workers and they will be nice to you!

Good advice guys. Yeah I agree and will be doing some day trips first of all but I really like snorkeling (from beach) and want to try my hands on diving and snorkeling in deeper waters, for that Koa Tao should be great. While I'm there I might get my padi too, so I'll have that wherever I plan on going in the future.

Ko Tao certainly better for snorkeling, but otherwise Ko Phangan a much better place to spend a month in my opinion. Tao gets really crowded -- it's not a very big island -- and not great for exploring by motorbike. In contrast, Phangan is a big island with some great newly sealed roads and there's loads to explore; in a month you might not even see every beach unless you're up for some boat rides and/or hikes. Phangan also has a decent selection of food, with cheap Thai restaurants readily available in many places, and some good bars without the sometimes-pretentious diving nightlife scene that you get on Tao. Yes prices go up a ton during full moon party, at least at Haad Rin and the south-coast beaches, but for the rest of the month Phangan is really laid-back and those bungalow places and hotels that rake in money during FMP time tend to offer great-value rooms at other times of month. Certainly doable on 35,000 THB a month if you don't need a really nice room. In general Tao is more expensive with a much smaller selection of accommodation. I'm not into the FMP so I'd either hide out along the northwest coast or just leave the island -- Tao and Samui are both pretty quiet during FMP b/c so many people go to Phangan just for the party. 

On 5/8/2017 at 4:36 PM, samuijimmy said:

Was hoping some KP residents might help out here!

Where to start on this?  It's more expensive than Samui for what you get.... You'll still find places even on the beach, but Bedroom/ bathroom/ fan in lower price ranges .. (300 b per night and up ) Unlikely you find a place with kitchen for less than 15,000 to 16,000. baht per month. So means eating out more...  and unless you are Tongsala there is not a huge choice of cheaper eating places, or west coast section there would be a few places too or Chelaklum (north) .... Road from Tongsala to Haad Rin, full of places but not what I think you are looking for... beaches not great along there either. (west and NW beaches are nicer)

Even 7-11 is a few baht more on just about everything....  Big C and Tesco, prices should be the same as anywhere... not great selection though compared to Samui...

3 g or 4 g should be OK most places these days...

Other than a day trip to Koh Toa the other day, I cannot comment on accommodation or availability/ prices ... we rarely get anyone posting from KT... all busy diving! 

Some Dive companies I believe still will provide free accommodation if one takes a dive course.

You find places with kitchen equipment for 10000.

And also buying a frying pan and an induction cooking machine costs less than 1000 thb, what else does he need ?

Koh Phangan is of course the best choice because Koh Tao is too small and Samui too big.

3 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

You find places with kitchen equipment for 10000.

And also buying a frying pan and an induction cooking machine costs less than 1000 thb, what else does he need ?

Koh Phangan is of course the best choice because Koh Tao is too small and Samui too big.

Might be an idea to mention which area!   Agree one does not need much, but a fridge is always good!

So you saying "mummy bear"  just right...:whistling::tongue:...  I have lived on KP for a year of my life,... just too boring long term .... but yes a  great for a holiday !!!! But some like it full time!

Samui has a lot more to offer,  from busy Chawang to say quiet  Lipa Noi...Not quite so busy  Lamai to sleepy Bang Por all different..easy to get too one area to another within a hour or so. :thumbsup:

A month on Koh Tao would drive me crazy.  Prices are inflated, food isn't too great and taxis expensive for a short distance.  And that's just Saree Beach.  Anywhere out of the hustle and bustle of that place and you're looking at unfinished roads and a general hassle to get around. It's also very cliquey amongst the Thai island dwellers to the point of being unwelcoming unless your under 25 and spending a few thousand baht on cocktails each night. Even bike rental is over priced in my view.

Koh Phangan is much more laid back, a larger island to explore and generally friendlier.  Prices are slightly on the high side but this is an island and goods have to be transported.  There's more dining options on Phangan and good value long term rentals starting around 12k/month.  Heading north and away from Thong Sala and Haad Rin you're likely to encounter tourist-centric bays and services but still can easily find accommodation.  It's much cheaper away from the seafront, which is mainly reserved for paying tourists. It's also easy to get around the island on a scooter.  The roads are better here.  KP is an all round better vibe from my point of view.

Guys, could you point me in the right direction regarding a months stay on Phangan. I want to stay away from Haad Rin and FMP. I want access to good local food, restaurants but also night market/street stalls etc. A good beach that I can snorkel from with good visibility and some cool fish to see. Would like a quiet area but still with a bit of nightlife/cafe''s/bars etc. I will be renting a motorbike so decent roads etc, I don't want something really remote, just chill, peaceful with a little something to do on occasion. Good supermarket close by and good affordable food nearby along with the beach are really my priorities, that and affordable accommodation for around 10k baht for the month? Doable, or what?

I was thinking Thong Sala because of the night market, I read it has really good food, there's a supermarket, it's the main town so some nightlife etc. I have not looked into this yet so really looking for some pointers. 

Cheers Kong!

Edited by KingKongOfThailand

I am heading over in the next few days, (weather permitting)! Might have better up to date report then.

But Tongsala and south areas do not have a nice beach areas... IMO ... The west coast is going to give some variety of what you might be looking for, Se-Thanu, etc... the northern end is quite hilly.

Yes, the market area and shops going to give more choices, food wise in Tongsala....but you might not like some of the Thai food on offer!

I am not sure what Mae Haad or Koh Ma area (one of nicest beach on KP) is like for snorkeling these days, it used to be good ... much was bleached out due to global warming a few years back... but fish should still be OK...I might give it a try and see what's up these days!

You are looking at about 12 -14 kms from Tongsala to Maehaad so it's not an epic journey ... (on centre road)  I believe repaved since I was last over.

More to come when I get back! :smile:

Well!... where to start?

As usual the island was pretty quiet with tourists Time of year and between full moon party!  ... Area east of Tongsala was busiest for traffic and noise (boom boom thump trump bass music to 2 am! ) I stayed with friends in Ban Tai area, never again!

Food:  I saw many signs around the island offering food at say 50 baht and up. Usually in say more populated areas, like Tongsala, the Ban Tai strip on south side towards Haad Rin, the  Chalaklum village area (north end) and coming down the west coast See Thanu ... and other west side areas...  Much offered from road side stands, where food can sit for hours in the sun... OK if you have a cast iron stomach! (Have Pepto bismal just in case!!!!)

I still think the Tongsala and Ban Tai beaches are not exactly the beast beaches on the island... you hardly see a soul on them (although told Ban Tai /Kai beaches are busier over the full moon party times! ) Having said that the tides are very low during the summer months, even on the west and north coasts. .. but you are more likely to see more tourists..

First image here is in Tongsala, on the Main street towards the piers, seemed to be reasonable busy for the middle of the afternoon...  fruit shakes for 30 baht was a good deal! ....I believe called Phantip Market ...

Koh Phangan -2-184.jpg

This is food to avoid at least to start with.. sat in bowls ready to serve for hours on end..

Koh Phangan -2-189.jpg

Lots of fruit, sold ...this should be OK

Koh Phangan -2-276.jpg

Part 2

Places to stay... Tongsala I think would soon be tiring and boring for longer term stay ... Cheap places to stay anywhere are there but you really have to ask around... going to be harder to find around full moon party time, prices can jump dramatically.  One has to get onto side roads to find affordable places...  Talking to people who live there, would help, but that takes time... expect as a minimum to pay 300 baht for basic place with fan, if A/C needed then 500 baht a day minimum!  Negotiate for longer stay, you'll only find out by asking!

There was a check point at the pier, stopping and checking everyone, no vehicles are allowed to drive to the ferry areas. Really nothing to worry about!

Koh Phangan -2-320.jpg

Be warned about this though.

Koh Phangan -2-321.jpg

Phangan style taxis.... Prices can depend on what area one is going and how many people they take to an area...

Koh Phangan -2-324.jpg

Part  3 (still Koh Phangan!)

Motor bike rentals at hiring shops are all 250 baht a day, (this is new and regulated apparently) ... Resorts that rent bikes are not regulated from what I was told.

Low tide at beaches (summer months) It can be a long  walk out to get to the water!

Koh Ma, at Maehaad, NW corner. (Sea was too rough to try snorkeling, but this is or used to be the best area, left side of image! )

Koh Phangan -2-217.jpg

Fairly typical of west coast now.

Koh Phangan -2-175.jpg

Roads fairly good, and little traffic in most areas... but drive with caution and not to fast!

Middle road up or down the island, has a maybe a KM or two of road being repaved.

West coast road from Haad Salad south is very hilly and lots of curves..

Koh Phangan -2-139.jpg

There you go!  Up to you to check things out.... :whistling:

4 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

Part 2

Places to stay... Tongsala I think would soon be tiring and boring for longer term stay ... Cheap places to stay anywhere are there but you really have to ask around... going to be harder to find around full moon party time, prices can jump dramatically.  One has to get onto side roads to find affordable places...  Talking to people who live there, would help, but that takes time... expect as a minimum to pay 300 baht for basic place with fan, if A/C needed then 500 baht a day minimum!  Negotiate for longer stay, you'll only find out by asking!

There was a check point at the pier, stopping and checking everyone, no vehicles are allowed to drive to the ferry areas. Really nothing to worry about!

Koh Phangan -2-320.jpg

Be warned about this though.

Phangan style taxis.... Prices can depend on what area one is going and how many people they take to an area...

Checking people bags and blood ?

5 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Checking people bags and blood ?

Probably more likely a Piss test.... than blood, even common on highways around the country  checks but usually testing Thai's from my experience.

Perhaps if people look a bit "stoned"  they may do closer checks .... I did not see anyone getting checked...

Not seeing this on Samui terminals.

4 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Probably more likely a Piss test.... than blood, even common on highways around the country  checks but usually testing Thai's from my experience.

Perhaps if people look a bit "stoned"  they may do closer checks .... I did not see anyone getting checked...

Not seeing this on Samui terminals.

Yes, someone reported that they do piss test on KPG but not on Samui.

Better not come back loaded after 1 month partying :-)