paying the fine in the police for driving without a helmet

chado

how does paying the fine for driving a motorbike without a helmet works? what if you don't pay? or pay   N days later? after you pay, you get driving license back, correct?

I mean, after you're given a paper-bill which states that you've violated the rules by not having your helment on and a policeman has told you to pay the fine in a policestation.

Edited by chado

Usually they take your license and its available for pick up when the fine is paid. Driving with no license then they take the keys until the fine is paid. I'm on a first name basis with the pay fine lady and the get back license guy in Pattaya, lol

It has been said that in certain circumstances you can ‘expedite’ the process by giving the fine monies to the officer in question. This precludes cumbersome paperwork and ensures that you retain possession of your license. Bear in mind that this is only a rumor.

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Usually they take your license and its available for pick up when the fine is paid. Driving with no license then they take the keys until the fine is paid. I'm on a first name basis with the pay fine lady and the get back license guy in Pattaya, lol

That is right.. usually they take your licence and you pay your fine and pick the license up at the police station...   or like happened a few months ago when driving with the brother-in law... he gets stopped for 'speeding''.. no radar mind you...  you can give me 200  Bt now or I take your license and you drive (20 ks) to the police station and pay 400 Bt... what you want to do?

Anyone who drives a motorbike without wearing a helmet is an idiot.

I fail to understand what problems some have driving motorbikes wearing helmets? I have been out on my motorbike during the blazing heat. It has become so hot on top of the helmet that it`s possible to fry an egg on there. So those not wearing them must be getting their brains boiled inside their skulls. Also, a bug or a small stone hitting the face at speed, can have the same affect as a bullet, possible for an eye to get knocked out. At one time a wasp hit my helmet and cracked the visor.

These laws are implemented for our own protection, ABIDE BY THEM.

I am Upstate New York, USA. There is a helmet law , which, all persons on a motorcycle on public roads WILL wear a helmet.

Wear the helmet and Shut up.

This is a stupid subject.

6 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I fail to understand what problems some have driving motorbikes wearing helmets? I have been out on my motorbike during the blazing heat. It has become so hot on top of the helmet that it`s possible to fry an egg on there. So those not wearing them must be getting their brains boiled inside their skulls. Also, a bug or a small stone hitting the face at speed, can have the same affect as a bullet, possible for an eye to get knocked out. At one time a wasp hit my helmet and cracked the visor.

oh come on, now...

such sanctimonious moralizing- :ph34r:

those of us who have been riding motorcycles ALL our lives

(in my case, since i was 7 years old, i'm 61 now)

know that helmets can impair sight, hearing, and perception-

and in US, i drove mainly BIG road bikes, 1000 cc+***...

on the island, we keep our helmets with us in case the police

have a checkpoint, usually near the end of the month when they need

tea money; the traffic flow and general speed is not so great so as

to necessitate a helmet on the island(s)...

however, when driving on the mainland via the highway to our

provincial capital, yes we wear helmets- when one is driving 80-120 kph,

they can be of great assistance to keep our brains from splattering-

***but if one does have a mishap at high speed, the helmet will only protect

the head, and one's demise is quite likely nonetheless, helmet or no...

14 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

oh come on, now...

You remind of an uncle I had. When the wearing of seatbelts was imposed in Britain during the 1970s, he flatly refused to wear his belt when driving, saying; he knows best, seatbelts are a hindrance more than beneficial. Yet it`s been statistically proven that car seatbelts have saved thousands of lives worldwide since the laws have been implemented.  

Obviously no one can tell you what to do, because you know better than all the experts and consider the laws are deliberately implemented to make our lives uncomfortable rather then for our own safety. Good for you. you tell em straight. I`m sure you know exactly what you`re doing, but I for one, won`t be following your example.

Edited by cyberfarang

2 hours ago, jenifer d said:

oh come on, now...

You said if you have a crash at high speed one's demise is quite likely even with a helmet, that

's correct if your riding like most Thai with flip flops and shorts but if decked in leathers and boots or balistic nylon you can slide a long way without having your skin ripped off or dying

4 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

That is right.. usually they take your licence and you pay your fine and pick the license up at the police station...   or like happened a few months ago when driving with the brother-in law... he gets stopped for 'speeding''.. no radar mind you...  you can give me 200  Bt now or I take your license and you drive (20 ks) to the police station and pay 400 Bt... what you want to do?

seems like a case of blackmail surely this should NOT be ALLOWED !!!

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

im  of the  opinion if  you  dont  want to  wear  a  helmet up 2 u  but  u  forgo any  medical  treatment  thats free and  any  other  costs  incurred..................problem here "mai  mee baht"

8 hours ago, Hayduke said:

It has been said that in certain circumstances you can ‘expedite’ the process by giving the fine monies to the officer in question. This precludes cumbersome paperwork and ensures that you retain possession of your license. Bear in mind that this is only a rumor.

try: :   khun mai tourist, lot daai maai krap

and pay cash

make sure u can show wallet with only 200 bht inside act poor

fine can be as low as 100 bth

12 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Where   I am it is  still   "pay  on the  spot"  and sometimes a  50% reduction  at the  suggestion  no paperwork  need  be  done.

All I've ever seen in my several years in Ubon is pay on the spot, always 200B, and always official receipt.  I've never had to pay for helmet as I would absolutely never get on a bike without a helmet, here or anywhere, but see people stopped daily and pay the 200B on the spot every time, Thai or Farang doesn't matter.

There is a little known (at least it was to me at the time) cop shack on Jomtien Beach Road at the southern end. I was going to visit a friend less than a kilometer away, so I got on my motorbike without my helmet. Fast forward, the "arresting officer" invited me into the shack to "discuss" the ticket. I handed him a 500 baht note. When it appeared the transaction was over as far as HE was concerned, I demanded 100 baht change which he grudgingly gave me. Gotta love the BiB's!

On 2017-5-9 at 10:29 AM, cyberfarang said:

Aha the new Tourist Police Volunteer Chief has spoken. ??

23 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

...Yes it seems that they can..  it is the common practice..  although that doesn't necessarily mean it is legal..  

hence the question is it legal?

On 5/9/2017 at 10:29 AM, cyberfarang said:

maybe you an idiot.

I don't drive faster than 40km,

I better wear my light cap than a helmet that's been worn by thousands or hundreds of different people who rented a motorbike before me than I wear a heavy helmet which has no use.

The "pay now" option, although it happens everyday, is disappearing. Everyone has a phone/dashcam/gopro to record video and police know this. You can record police asking for payment and have it on Facebook in 5 minutes. 

Having been down the road a few times in my 25 years of motorbikes I would not ride without a lid. Saved me more than once, daft to not wear one or basic jeans and jacket in my opinion but each to their own
Sliding down the road at 40kms can be pretty painful in shorts and flip flops believe me

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have never been asked for my drivers license when I was caught driving with my girlfriend not wearing a helmet.  I was the driver and was wearing a helmet.
Had to hand over the keys to the bike and got about 30 minutes to go pay the fine. If I didn't return after 30 minutes they would load up the bike and I had to go get it at the impound. I ignored the warning, went for a bite to eat, went to the policestation to pay the 400 Baht fine and back to pick up the bike, but the police were gone, so was the bike, and not even the mototaxi guys were any help. Really had to convince them to take me to the impound to get my bike.

That was a total of 800 Baht that day for my girlfriend not wearing a helmet.

Edited by Bastos60