Snake in Sansai - ID Please

tomdfc

Can't positively put a name to this snake after having checked my snake book or having gone online.    Length looks to be about 15 inches (38 cm) and the picture has it in a drainage channel.  Our house is on the edge of a wee village but also close to green, wooded and luxuriant areas.  The recent rains have brought forth a plague of frogs which I presume is the reason the snakes would follow.  For peace of mind - thanks.

DSCN2870.JPG

I'm just up the road from you and I've seen very similar in our garden recently, sorry I don't know the name. But I do know that pretty much all snakes that we see in our gardens are harmless or at very least very timid, judging from the shape and size of its head it's not venomous, most venomous snakes here have bright distinctive colouring and large rattlesnake shaped heads - they're more afraid of you then you are of it. So don't kill it, just let it do it's own thing and it's unlikely to be a problem. You are correct, the increased rain makes the grass taller so they come out of their usual hiding places and venture forth and frogs are certainly on their menu. I don't know about Sansai but in rural Mae Rim we have lots and lots of the large brown and blue birds (nok-gra-boot) that takes care of most snake problems.

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I'm just up the road from you and I've seen very similar in our garden recently, sorry I don't know the name. But I do know that pretty much all snakes that we see in our gardens are harmless or at very least very timid, judging from the shape and size of its head it's not venomous, most venomous snakes here have bright distinctive colouring and large rattlesnake shaped heads - they're more afraid of you then you are of it. So don't kill it, just let it do it's own thing and it's unlikely to be a problem. You are correct, the increased rain makes the grass taller so they come out of their usual hiding places and venture forth and frogs are certainly on their menu. I don't know about Sansai but in rural Mae Rim we have lots and lots of the large brown and blue birds (nok-gra-boot) that takes care of most snake problems.

I don't think the poisonous snakes around here are like the vipers in US.....Many that have venom do not have large triangular heads....