Other countries - Loss of face and entitlement

ladada

How do other countries in the region compare in these specific areas?

Loss of face - from how do they respond to constructive criticism such 'do it this way due to x reason' on the job, to making things better - let's improve this process, to something as casual as waiting for a taxi and shaking your head at some idiot reversing up a busy highway due to a miss turn and then for all hell to break loose due to falang shake head.. 

Entitlement - Issues like Lo and behold - man who threatened bank employees who came to repossess car is a cop, to  Ayutthaya car crash trial postponed as Jenphop testimony postponed again, to the Red bull guy, to the 7 suspects in the killing of a handicapped bakery delivery man plead not guilty

Corruption - Infrastructure projects that are a merry go round of feasibility studies to meeting of understanding whilst nothing ever delivered in big cities, across the board to the useless paid village header in the jungle.

Faith in the law - Probably encompasses all the above 

I get this stuff affects all counties including western super powers, but in what degree and visibility and in what direction is it getting worse.. Specifically counties like vietnam, cambodia, laos, myanmar, indonesisia, and malaysia (maybe seperate east & west?) 

Edited by ladada
add link to 7 suspects article

It's a well worn myth that Thais are obsessed about 'losing face' compared to say western countries.  You don't have to look any further than this forum to find hundreds of examples of falang insisting they are right even when presented with a truck load of evidence saying otherwise. Losing face is something intrinsic to being human not cultural, but its probably easier to spot it in other cultures compared to your own backyard, which can be said for a lot of negative human behaviours.

However, I don't see how any of the examples you gave relate to losing face?

Edited by onthesoi

a well worn myth, you would have to be blind not to see it virtually every day, kids arent allowed to fail at school and have to go to the next class so they dont lose face, men kill their ex girlfriends or the new boyfriend because they lost face, honk your horn at an idiot driver and they either pull a weapon on you or start to cut you off because they lost face, there are instances of crap like this every day. While you do get people in western countries that can carry on you do not get it the way it happens here in Thailand as well as China etc. My wife continually reminds me to be careful not to cause anyone to lose face due to their reactions and the chances of having a gun or knife pulled on you(or the fact they will wait till it is just your wife in the car and get her and beat her up instead), if the thais are worried about it then everyone else needs to as well. I have seen that many instances of it in the years I have been here it isnt funny, its bound to happen when you have the attitudes that many thais do, accepting it is just part and parcel to living here

Edited by seajae

1 hour ago, seajae said:

a well worn myth, you would have to be blind not to see it virtually every day, kids arent allowed to fail at school and have to go to the next class so they dont lose face, men kill their ex girlfriends or the new boyfriend because they lost face, honk your horn at an idiot driver and they either pull a weapon on you or start to cut you off because they lost face, there are instances of crap like this every day. While you do get people in western countries that can carry on you do not get it the way it happens here in Thailand as well as China etc. My wife continually reminds me to be careful not to cause anyone to lose face due to their reactions and the chances of having a gun or knife pulled on you(or the fact they will wait till it is just your wife in the car and get her and beat her up instead), if the thais are worried about it then everyone else needs to as well. I have seen that many instances of it in the years I have been here it isnt funny, its bound to happen when you have the attitudes that many thais do, accepting it is just part and parcel to living here

...so you're saying these things dont happen in every country in the world?

20 seconds on google says otherwise.

Oh wait, your losing face now so will argue black is white thus proving my point.

Edited by onthesoi

15 hours ago, onthesoi said:

It's a well worn myth that Thais are obsessed about 'losing face' compared to say western countries.  You don't have to look any further than this forum to find hundreds of examples of falang insisting they are right even when presented with a truck load of evidence saying otherwise. Losing face is something intrinsic to being human not cultural, but its probably easier to spot it in other cultures compared to your own backyard, which can be said for a lot of negative human behaviours.

However, I don't see how any of the examples you gave relate to losing face?

The difference?

In most Asian cultures, Thailand included, the importance of "face" is structural.

That is to say, the belief that it's wrong to point out deficits or mistakes in others is embedded in the fabric of society.

In most Western societies, on the other hand, such taboos seldom exist - it's simply down to the individual how he or she responds to criticism, confrontation, etc.