Four year old killed as she tumbles down uncovered drain

webfact

As a father of two little girls this sends shivers down my spine! Unfortunately there are many holes like that pretty much everywhere in Thailand, included the village where we live. 

I've always thought that it is criminal behavior and that sooner or later someone would have died. Probably a single life isn't enough in this country, they might start considering the problem after hundred of deaths.

RIP Little girl...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Slotman said:

Not really the time for sarcasm......... RIP little girl. x

I believe he was expressing the Thai attitude towards injury or death. No matter how often the same tragic scenario is repeated, nothing changes and no one learns anything.

there are so many factor in play contributing to this girls death.

First, there is the fact that these covers are frequently stolen for their cash value. Partially because without government support they actually turn to crimes they see as "victim-less"

Second, there is no public accountability to make sure things are replaced.

Third, many are below the income level necessitating they pay tax, and those that are above that level often simply dont pay it so there is little money for infrastructure.

Fourth, corruption means what money there is is often squandered or stolen.

Fifth, when money is spent it is on something visible, not basic maintenance.

and it goes on and on.

the problems are so deeply entrenched it is remarkably difficult to point a finger at any root cause as all causes are heavily intertwined.

1 minute ago, gandalf12 said:

Never seen one in the UK.

They exist in every country, serving every property...but in most they are designed to be unobtrusive and can only be accessed via a specific tool for that purpose.

Even in Bangkok they are every few metres, often with cracked or broken covers....and it is not unusual to see a missing cover for a day or two.

Dreadful thing to happen to this family and one has to feel for the brother who will undoubtedly feel some sense of guilt, even though he is blameless.

RIP little one.

"Safety" seems to be a cultural problem.  And after some 600 years of being a nation the culture, seemingly, is not improving.

A simple metal grill would have ensured that the little girl would not have died in this way.

10 minutes ago, Slotman said:

Not really the time for sarcasm......... RIP little girl. x

in fact it is the perfect time for sarcasm as it points directly to a major issue. get over yourself.

the sarcasm is probably better than a fatuous rip.

Just now, HooHaa said:

in fact it is the perfect time for sarcasm as it points directly to a major issue. get over yourself.

the sarcasm is probably better than a fatuous rip.

Just my opinion pal, which I am entitled to. 

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Criminal negligence, somebody needs to be charged with manslaughter

IMHO two entities need to charged:

1. The overseeing authority which should have been ensuring there was no danger whilst the work was in process. That's their job!!!

2. The entity doing the work for leaving open danger whilst they were not present.

Both of the above items seem to be totally foreign to locals. 

Condolences to the family.

RIP to the little girl.

Edited by scorecard

The open drain was in front of a shop,because it could be seen on CCTV.

So hundreds of neighbors did see this before and did nothing.

The poor child family  did see it too.

They all knew there was a dangerous point .........

Would you as father send 2 children to this shop???????

I dont think so.

Would you  send them on a 125 cc scooter without light and no 

brakes to a safer shop to buy your cigarettes or booze?.....i dont think so........not we . 

But some people do ,for them this is all normal.

Who are we to judge over them.

9 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I'm surprised the parents allowed this young girl to walk alone, even though a 4 year old can see roads and evade holes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, lucjoker said:

The open drain was in front of a shop,because it could be seen on CCTV.

So hundreds of neighbors did see this before and did nothing.

The poor child family  did see it too.

They all knew there was a dangerous point .........

Would you as father send 2 children to this shop???????

I dont think so.

Would you  send them on a 125 cc scooter without light and no 

brakes to a safer shop to buy your cigarettes or booze?.....i dont think so........not we . 

But some people do ,for them this is all normal.

Who are we to judge over them.

When a tragedy can so easily be prevented, I think people can be judged. Judged for their carelessness, irresponsibility, laziness and not caring for their children enough.

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

IMHO two entities need to charged:

1. The overseeing authority which should have been ensuring there was no danger whilst the work was in process. That's their job!!!

2. The entity doing the work for leaving open danger whilst they were not present.

You forgot the 3rd and 4th (and most likely culprits in most of these cases:

3) The bastard who stole the cast iron cover to sell it for scrap

4) The scrap dealer who will pay the bastards money, even though the cast iron covers are clearly marked

You can replace them every noon and there's a good chance they won't be there the next morning.

I'm surprised the parents allowed this young girl to walk alone, even though a 4 year old can see roads and evade holes.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They let her out with her older brother to go buy sweets from a shop in the building opposite..while the brother was buying sweets the little girl wondered off behind the sweet shop building and fell down the hole...this is a government run "council estate" (UK analogy) where many young families live, the kids are quite often sent out to buy sweets or groceries on their own !

1 hour ago, monspencer said:

What a deplorable comment. You deserve to be banned from ThaiVisa for saying such a heartless thing.

RIP to the little girl. I'm not religious, but if there is a God, I hope she is with him now.

I think this chap might just have been being sarcastic here,  I would certainly hope so.  Sad fact is though, that it is quite probably the exact, non-sarcastic response from whatever 'authority' is 'responsible' for the prevention of such hazards.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Krathum Baen police are set to call in all parties to decide what to do in the case.

Needs a whole community to decide on making a cover to cover this hole? Speechless!!!

1 hour ago, monspencer said:

What a deplorable comment. You deserve to be banned from ThaiVisa for saying such a heartless thing.

RIP to the little girl. I'm not religious, but if there is a God, I hope she is with him now.

I think the comment was expressing some sardonic irony. If there is a god, why allow this tragedy to happen to a four year old kid and not one of the granny assailants we read about earlier this week? :annoyed:

You can make a difference.

Years ago I was at a large hotel in Bkk and noticed there was a large gap between the many escalator's rail and the side guard's, about 10 inches.

I thought it was dangerous, as a child to pass through and fall to the floor below.

I took pics and told reception of my concerns.

Within an hour they had guards fitted to stop access for any toddler.

4 minutes ago, Essaybloke said:

I think the comment was expressing some sardonic irony. If there is a god, why allow this tragedy to happen to a four year old kid and not one of the granny assailants we read about earlier this week? :annoyed:

I think it's pretty obvious there is no god, unless he's a sadistic SOB who enjoys inflicting suffering on people.

Needs a whole community to decide on making a cover to cover this hole? Speechless!!!

At the end of the Thai Rath article
It says that the drain cover had been in a bad state for a "long time"
and that the estate management had started a program of replacing all the drain covers (lots of drain covers) but to late for the little girl :(

It's just too sad. Completely and utterly avoidable. When people responsible for these death traps are charged with manslaughter and receive the appropriate sentence this will keep occurring. The parents and older brother especially must be absolutely devastated. My heart goes out to the whole family.

The guy was just expressing the attitude about the lack of public safety in thailand or any 3rd world country....

the family will get 10k baht and the local government will call it a day....

why go to the trouble to correct a system wide and expensive undertaking? Common People are very expendable and of little value to the culture.... 

How about 4 drownings per day every day for many years....any improvement?

2 hours ago, monspencer said:

I see you and your fan club "didnt get it"

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I may be wrong, but maybe Kannot was voicing the attitude of the average Thai, their indifference to safety and that life is cheap.

Exactly, but some people just dont get it, authority here DOESNT GIVE A SIHT ABOUT YOU.

7 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Criminal negligence, somebody needs to be charged with manslaughter

Sue the arse off Uea Athon as a company, and as for the managers of this location they should be sacked, and charged at least with negligence causing death.

I speak from experience, I have a friend who lives within an Uea Athon complex in another province.
The manager there is also useless, I don't know why he's called a manager, it's amazing he can actually "manage" to wake up in the morning & make his way to the office where he sits all day doing nothing, his nik-name is "six-legs" because he never gets off his chair!
Maintenance is non-existent, repairs are only carried out when something is repeatedly reported as broken, even then it take ages to get any reaction from the manager.

When something is done it's carried out by one employed idiot who couldn't fix a damn thing, spending the least amount of money as possible to achieve at best a botched repair..

Each room either rented or being purchased has a monthly levy of 250 baht added to the water bill to cover the cost of cleaning maids (3 women) and maintenance.

There are 14 buildings each with 45 rooms = 630 rooms in total

if full occupancy = 157,500 baht per month... nice if you don't use it for anything!

Last month as a further cost cutting exercise to reduce the company electricity expenditure this was done.

Each building has 5 floors, the corridor on each floor is illuminated with 5 fluorescent lighting tubes, 3 tubes on each floor were removed leaving two tubes, one on either end of the corridor to illuminate at night.

This gives you some insight as to the company policy and managers care for residents!

My sympathy goes to the family of the young girl, a life tragically cut short by corporate negligence!!