Honda Africa Twin CFR1000l (My opinion)

BBJ

Following a suggestion in the Versys 300 thread, here is my opinion of the Africa Twin.

If like me, you’ve waited a long time for this bike - watching all the promo clips of pro riders blasting it through the desert, leaping of sand dunes and hill climbs.  The wait for me was torture, I almost bought a Triumph XCX and considered the BMW GS which are great bikes in their right.  But I stuck to my guns and waited 3 years – the first being rumours.

AT 2.JPG

I won’t go into all the specifications of the suspension and other details such as engine and wheels as there are spec and better info on the net than I can provide.

The Africa Twin is setup as standard for riders around 75kg, so this could be a problem for those a little heavier wishing to take their bike off road which I will come to later.

If you’re the kind of rider that loves the tarmac for long distance travelling that might take the occasion fire-road, with some adjustment, the suspension is fine as is.  Although, many, will swear by it and cry heresy if you say otherwise.  One thing to remember, all the promo videos online are just that.

Additionally, the Dunlop Trailmax as standard, are not too bad a tire.  Simple, but slow trail rides are fine with this tire, and on road, they fair pretty well.  The reports are mixed but I have the feeling there is some brand loyalty involved here.  

Comfort levels are pretty high, and I find the seat plush enough for long trips, particularly If I have to compare it my Versys which forced me to take a break or stand on the pegs every 30-45 mins.  And there are two height levels for this seat.  If you’re a shorter rider, balancing the bike at stops on one leg might be better that balancing on the tip of your toes.

Weight and power were an issue before the bike was released.  However, the bike has plenty of power - particularly on Thai roads and has the right amount for off the road riding.  Although the bike is heavy, it doesn’t feel it.  I dropped my bike in the drive during the first week of owning it.  Fortunately, I’d just fitted Barkbusters.  The bike was facing downward on the drive.  As I bend down to pick a tool up, the bike went over.  No damage with just a slight rub on the handguard.  However, I was surprised how easy it was to pick up.  While riding off road, I have laid the bike down intentionally as the surface was too soft for the stand.  It was easy to lift.

AT.jpg

If you’re considering the bike for some trickier off road, or you like to ride fast on dirt trails, intend to carry a passenger and luggage on tails,  the suspension will require an upgrade to something like the Hyperpro Extreme which caters for 100kg.  No matter how much you adjust the suspension, it will not be adequate.  Tarmac only, fair enough until you hit a pot-hole!

I weight 90+KG and carry a soft Kriega setup with tools and puncture repair kit at all times, and with the present tires (Mitas e07) the suspension is set to what I consider safe max.  If you total max the suspension out, too much compression could cause damage.

If you change the tires to an adventure tire such as the brand I use, suspension setup will be needed.  At 120kph+ the front-end squirms all over the place as the tire wasn’t keeping full contact with the road surface due to the nubs.  After playing around with the front suspension settings, all was good.  Standard road tires are fine.

Traction control, or torque control I find too aggressive on the max setting.  On a few occasions when getting used to the bike, I would gently pull away and then hit the throttle.  On dry surfaces the torque control would kick in, lunging my body forward toward the screen.  I was an uncomfortable feeling.  I used the minimum setting unless it pours down with rain.

With adventure and off road bikes, there are always mods you’ll need to buy as the ones fitted tend to offer no benefits at all.  The handguards on the AT are as useful as a chocolate fireguard.  They offer nothing more than wind protection.  The rear brake fluid reservoir is in a precarious position and will need a cover to protect it for off road use.  The bash plate is fine for on road, but offers little in the way of protection for off.  You will need engine guards too.  Be careful of guards as some make the dipstick awkward to access.

Kit I use and approx. price

I use Barkbuster VPS 6500bht

SW Motech Engine Guards 7900bht

SW Motech Bashplate 8000bht

SW Motech Center Stand. 7900bht (Needs strapping up for off road as it bounces around)

Brake Reservoir Guard 1600bht

Chain extension guard 2400bht

Pivot Pegs about 6500bht (Came from Australia for a review)

Mitas e07 tires 8000bht fitted (Rear is the Dakar version) 

Next upgrade: Hyperpro suspension approx 38-55,000bht.

To sum the bike up

I love the bike, it does everything I want and more.  On slow, tricky sections, it is easy to balance while standing on the pegs.  Blasting down the trails at 130kph it is done so with confidence sitting or standing while drifting round corners at 100kph.  On tarmac, it is equally enjoyable and has enough power to please.  You’ll see many reviews of comparisons between a KTM 1190 and 1200 GS where people have moaned as to why it wasn’t compared to a GS 800 or Triumph XCX.  I’ve tested all the above bikes for various blogs and reviews in Thailand; the Africa Twin is in a different league to the 800 and XCX.  People tend to look at BHP as being the comparative ideal, but the overall package and capability are what sets the AT apart from the XCX and 800.

The AT is is equal to, if not a better tourer and a much better off road bike than the 800 or XCX.  It has less power than both the KTM and the GS but is much better than the GS off road, and equal to the KTM.

Ultimately, it all boils down to rider skill and the intended purpose of the bike.

I have a few vids of the AT about the tires and pegs etc.  I won’t post here, but if you want a link I can PM.

at with e07.jpg

1.jpg

SnapShot(0).jpg

Edited by BBJ

Great review BBJ, I do like the look of this bike and most other reviews also sing the praises of the CRF 1000.

I just wish Honda would put out a road worthy CRF 500 in Thailand. It would be a great step between the 250 and 1000.

Most falangs/foreigners would love it. Even now I see more and more Thais riding the 250. But a 500 would be sweet for us bigger folk!

Cheers for your feedback on the Africa Twin....and it was a good read too.

Great review.

A good friend of mine also got the AF1000 manual and he is also very happy with it.

Him and his wife was up in the Changmai area for 2 week and slept in a tent most of the time, off the beaten track, crossing many rivers in the process. His wife jumped off on the difficult parts. 

Just to add.  There has been numerous reports of the wheels corroding.  Thailand, that I am aware of, having spoken to the dealers there has been no reported issue thus far.  Mine have been through rain, mud and dust and look like new when cleaned.

7 hours ago, BBJ said:

Just to add.  There has been numerous reports of the wheels corroding.  Thailand, that I am aware of, having spoken to the dealers there has been no reported issue thus far.  Mine have been through rain, mud and dust and look like new when cleaned.

First of thank you for the detailed report, much appreciated. I've also been waiting a very very long time for this bike and finally put down an order once they confirmed the expanded color choice at the Motor Show. Delivery probably/hopefully mid of July. Rally Red DCT. I had the chance to test ride both versions recently and opted for the DCT not because I don't want to use a clutch or because the DCT is really better. I'm sure that there will be situations where I'd be more happy with the manual. But my reason for choosing the DCT version is that it's a new experience, something different not found on other bikes (apart from some other Honda models). And it got a manual mode that comes close to a clutch at least. Life's short and I think for touring it'll be an interesting experience indeed.

About the spoked wheels: as far as I could gather, Honda fixed the issue in the 2017 models, which year is yours?

One issue that I didn't see mentioned anywhere but that I saw first hand is the seat of the Rally Red tends to discolor on the white part of it. Seen it on the test bike of Honda and in some videos. You have the same color so I wonder if yours has discolored too. It's very visible because there's also a white part of the fairing next to it which usually stays very clean.

PS: PM with youtube link would be appreciated, anything that helps cover the waiting time! :)

3 hours ago, eisfeld said:

First of thank you for the detailed report, much appreciated. I've also been waiting a very very long time for this bike and finally put down an order once they confirmed the expanded color choice at the Motor Show. Delivery probably/hopefully mid of July. Rally Red DCT. I had the chance to test ride both versions recently and opted for the DCT not because I don't want to use a clutch or because the DCT is really better. I'm sure that there will be situations where I'd be more happy with the manual. But my reason for choosing the DCT version is that it's a new experience, something different not found on other bikes (apart from some other Honda models). And it got a manual mode that comes close to a clutch at least. Life's short and I think for touring it'll be an interesting experience indeed.

About the spoked wheels: as far as I could gather, Honda fixed the issue in the 2017 models, which year is yours?

One issue that I didn't see mentioned anywhere but that I saw first hand is the seat of the Rally Red tends to discolor on the white part of it. Seen it on the test bike of Honda and in some videos. You have the same color so I wonder if yours has discolored too. It's very visible because there's also a white part of the fairing next to it which usually stays very clean.

PS: PM with youtube link would be appreciated, anything that helps cover the waiting time! :)

Mine is 2016 which I received Feb 2017.  While I've seen on a few complain on the AT forum having problems with the wheels.  Myself and two colleagues who also have the AT have had no issue at all.  The only gripe I have is with Honda service.

13 hours ago, BBJ said:

Mine is 2016 which I received Feb 2017.  While I've seen on a few complain on the AT forum having problems with the wheels.  Myself and two colleagues who also have the AT have had no issue at all.  The only gripe I have is with Honda service.

Forgot to mention about the comment on the seat.  Yes, it does and has changed color, but for me personally, with the riding I do it doesn't bother me.  Got to expect a few tumbles and scratches now an again.  However, the jet-wash does bring the whiteness back.

Oil level check is a bit of a pain.  No matter how many times I look, I can't quite figure if the level is correct or not.

Edited by BBJ

On 5/11/2017 at 10:40 AM, CMKiwi said:

Great review BBJ, I do like the look of this bike and most other reviews also sing the praises of the CRF 1000.

I just wish Honda would put out a road worthy CRF 500 in Thailand. It would be a great step between the 250 and 1000.

Most falangs/foreigners would love it. Even now I see more and more Thais riding the 250. But a 500 would be sweet for us bigger folk!

Cheers for your feedback on the Africa Twin....and it was a good read too.

I think the issue here is due to the CRF450R - a bike I nearly bought in favour of the AT.  Not road legal of course, but I agree, would make an Idea dual sport.

15 hours ago, BBJ said:

The only gripe I have is with Honda service.

Yeah had that Kwacka's just a case of finding a good one.

I service my bike just need to take for computer checks when necessary.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Went to Honda Phitsanulok today for new boots, they have a AT 1000 in the window looks great not keen on the colour scheme though. :thumbsup:

Was it the new Apple candy one?  Not keen on that myself.  Tri-color is the way to go but whatever floats the boat.

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

Was it the new Apple candy one?  Not keen on that myself.  Tri-color is the way to go but whatever floats the boat.

It was a bright red & white, too much white with the red for my liking.

1 hour ago, BBJ said:

Now I'm hurt!  Sounds like mine.

Well if you like it cool,  l can get cheap spray jobs done on bike panels where l live.

My red & black Versys had too much black so got more panels & hugger sprayed red.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well if you like it cool,  l can get cheap spray jobs done on bike panels where l live.

My red & black Versys had too much black so got more panels & hugger sprayed red.

There is a pink one floating about on facebook!

Edited by BBJ

17 hours ago, BBJ said:

A pink Africa Twin.  

That's funny went looking facebook and found pink & mauve Versys site saying only real men ride pink motorbikes :laugh:  l left a message that is allowed on facebook but not here. :whistling:

• 5 months later...

Read a bit about CRF1000L twin owners in the UK being rather understandably irate. Apparently these Africa Twins were 10-11k GBP a couple of years ago depending on spec. Very popular bike, lots of sales and S/H values were very good. Until now. Honda have just been advertising in the m/c press 3k off list price (basically a new 11k bike being sold for 8k) AND with free 0% finance over 36-48 months. Possibly to get rid of '17 models prior to the release of the NEW for '18 model.

Owners are not happy and pretty pi$$ed off with the Big Corporate H in the UK. Obviously no one is going to buy a 2 y/o bike for 8K when you can get a new one for the same money, and on 0% finance.

Gun. Aim at foot. Pull trigger.

Read a bit about CRF1000L twin owners in the UK being rather understandably irate. Apparently these Africa Twins were 10-11k GBP a couple of years ago depending on spec. Very popular bike, lots of sales and S/H values were very good. Until now. Honda have just been advertising in the m/c press 3k off list price (basically a new 11k bike being sold for 8k) AND with free 0% finance over 36-48 months. Possibly to get rid of '17 models prior to the release of the NEW for '18 model.
 Owners are not happy and pretty pi$$ed off with the Big Corporate H in the UK. Obviously no one is going to buy a 2 y/o bike for 8K when you can get a new one for the same money, and on 0% finance.
 Gun. Aim at foot. Pull trigger.

Shame Thai Honda don’t follow suit. I see Triumph are doing big deals on Tigers for exactly the same reason ( free Ammo boxes/frames& cash vouchers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2018 model have big updates, more power from mid range, bigger tank, lighter balance shaft, new suspension and more.

This must also piss off current owners that they change the bike so much after 1-2 years on the market further dropping the value on the "old" model.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I prefer a fast moving motorbike industry with dropping prices to a stagnant one with high prices. Yes that means resale values are not as good but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to make. Motorcycle development has been lagging a bit in my opinion and now they are catching up and there's still way to go.

And I say that as a relatively fresh Africa Twin 2017 owner (just got my 6000km service done) who would have liked to have those new features in the 2018 model. And as someone who considers buying a S1000R 2018 model knowing full well that in 2019 a big overhaul of the S1000* range will come.