Where's the best/favourite breakfast in Bangkok?

Razzler1973

If folks want to debate over different English breakfast, I can't be a part of that, because I'm not a Brit, and I don't eat English breakfasts.

But for a general breakfast place that's quite good, I can recommend the recently opened Clinton Street Baking Company on the lower level of Siam Paragon, over in the far back left corner near the Mandarin Oriental restaurant. The prices are not cheap, figure 400 baht per breakfast entree for menu item, tax and tip. But the value and quality is worth it.

I've had I believe 4 of their different breakfast entrees over the months, and they've all been quite good -- berry topped pancakes, brioche french toast with sauteed bananas and pecans, one of their omelettes and what they call a Spanish scramble. They make their hash browns from scratch, as well as their french fries daily. They also make their own out of this world fresh berry jam that comes with some dishes or you can order on request.

Here's what some of their breakfasts look like, along with their menu:

5919bc7b8ddd2_2017-02-1913_10_09.thumb.jpg.5192abe0d698b15a4808830eda1962e5.jpg

5919bc794e739_2017-02-1912_52_50.jpg.e968eb38ee1a518b0010e49cfbc62e2f.jpg

5919bc778236b_2017-02-1912_52_41.jpg.773a1f9ea12a73e8a8e777951882de5d.jpg

5919bc789b047_2017-02-1912_52_45.jpg.c20598d594eb97f4f9a2bfc81a1f0988.jpg

They also do a quite good Black Angus Cheeseburger their their own house-made bun and an excellent beef patty that tastes fresh and a lot like the quality and caliber of beef used at New York Style Steak and Burgers. The burger pictured below isn't their stock menu burger, which for some reason, comes with just their own carmelized onion dressing. I asked them, on a second order, to skip their dressing and instead substitute add fresh lettuce, tomato and onion (which they don't provide in their stock menu burger, but did on request at no extra charge). That's what's shown below, along with their house-made, freshly cut and fried french fries.

5919bc7e7c2c5_BlackAngusCheeseburger.thumb.jpg.264c45b27f4ac1cc9bfaff5ee0a6fca8.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Haha , I have to admit his success is surprising, England is full of these types , only down south though !! emoji15.png

Yep, I've seen what we call "rednecks" in the USA and because of his flagrant ramblings and pseudo threats with his previous supposedly greatness, I'll just avoid the Lazy Goose, thank you.  Not a thank you or anything else will be directed at his "greatness".

Edited by Roger Lee

3 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Yep, I've seen what we call "rednecks" in the USA and because of his flagrant ramblings and pseudo threats with his previous greatness, I'll just avoid the Lazy Goose, thank you.  Not a thank you or anything else will be directed at his "greatness".

Well its not my restaurant so I don't really care.

Enjoy your inferior breakfasts! :biggrin:

Another place that's pretty good for breakfasts, depending on your tastes, is the Bei Otto German restaurant on Suk Soi 20. The advantages here are their own german sausages and bacon, along with their own bakery and baked goods, which you can select as part of, or adding to, their menu breakfasts. One of my favorites there is their pretzel rolls. And this is one of the few places in BKK that I look forward to eating their bacon+

Here's what their breakfast menu looks like, and I believe my choice that day was their American breakfast.

5919c591e6cf5_BeiOttoBreakfastMenu.thumb.jpg.2f639f6609be6958f2fd55d170968596.jpg

5919c58fd0e5c_BeiOttoAmericanBreakfast.jpg.b7455857ed23f76201cefc79dcd1ee06.jpg

'Tried the Extra Large there yesterday.  OK, but nothing to write home about.  The two Cumberland sausage turned out to be three but were those awful chipolata / hot dog style type which had clearly been rush cooked looking almost uncooked all over except for one dark brown strip along each one, thrown in a pan and left I guess without turning.  Made me wonder if they'd run out of regular sausages and were using these as a substitute.  Scrambled eggs (a mistake) were of the 'how many slices to do you want' cooked to oblivion type, fried bread way over done as was the bacon (and that was dry too) and all of it luke warm.  I might give it another try when it's less busy to see if it improves but won't be in any rush, overall wasn't impressed at all, especially for the price :post-4641-1156693976:  Still prefer the Queen Vic.

Edited  by SooKee'

yeah...I'd be careful when ordering sausages on the breakfast menu...more often than not the 'sausages' turn out to be those stinky spam things that the street vendors sell onna skewer...look to see what the sausages are that the other diners have before ye order...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

First I offered an American style place. Then a German style place. And now a French style brekkie place. I'm trying to be the United Nations of breakfast food here. :smile:

There's also some pretty good breakfast fare at Cafe Tartine on Soi Ruamrudee. Last time I was there, they had a special expanded brunch menu on the weekends that included Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine. That day, I believe I tried their Eggs Florentine for about 220b at the time. During the rest of the week, at least on my last visit, they had a slimmer breakfast menu with things like omelettes, quiche and croissants.

5919c97a5d1b1_CafeTartine-EggsFlorentine220b.jpg.4d9e21a90308188b59c6229e18a265ce.jpg

PS0350.jpg.863aa2a097d982f35249d6754b41172f.jpg

7 minutes ago, RonniePickering22 said:

The best quiche in town is served at the Mandarin Oriental in Paragon.

I haven't tried it there at Paragon, but I have at the nearby Mandarin Oriental cafe on the ground floor of Gaysorn Plaza. I'm assuming they're pretty much the same, and their quiche was quite good (I'll refrain from saying "the best"...).

In fact, the entire cafe at Gaysorn is a small, pleasant, quiet, uncrowded place to have a light meal, some hot tea or a cold drink, and the Mandarin's food offerings including their quiches, salads, etc. And the prices, at least at the Gaysorn branch, are not bad or upper crusty at all. But they're not an early morning breakfast place, since they're inside a mall at the Gaysorn location.

5 hours ago, SooKee said:

Tried the Extra Large there yesterday.  OK, but nothing to write home about.  

I've always found the food at Robin Hood to be a cut below, rather than above.  Their ingredients seem  mediocre and carelessly prepared. 

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I haven't tried it there at Paragon, but I have at the nearby Mandarin Oriental cafe on the ground floor of Gaysorn Plaza. I'm assuming they're pretty much the same, and their quiche was quite good (I'll refrain from saying "the best"...).

In fact, the entire cafe at Gaysorn is a small, pleasant, quiet, uncrowded place to have a light meal, some hot tea or a cold drink, and the Mandarin's food offerings including their quiches, salads, etc. And the prices, at least at the Gaysorn branch, are not bad or upper crusty at all. But they're not an early morning breakfast place, since they're inside a mall at the Gaysorn location.

In that area the best early option is across the road for a ham and cheese croissant and cappuccino.

1 hour ago, RonniePickering22 said:

Well its not my restaurant so I don't really care.

Enjoy your inferior breakfasts! :biggrin:

You know breakfasts, I have unlimited money. Would you go into business with me? You look like a fairly level headed honest lad. You can be the looks and i will be the brains of the outfit.

5 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

You know breakfasts, I have unlimited money. Would you go into business with me? You look like a fairly level headed honest lad. You can be the looks and i will be the brains of the outfit.

No I don't want to turn you into a pauper.

Some of us here have integrity.

Another place for late risers who want a good brunch offering is the Hyde and Seek Peek-a-Boo restaurant in Groove at CentralWorld. H&S used to have a similar weekend-only brunch at their main location on Soi Ruamrudee, but that no longer seems to exist there, and brunch instead has moved to their Groove location.

Here's their current brunch menu at Groove:

5919e2681b1a7_2017-05-1600_13_56.jpg.21c85b0d992d7a97ec77ac579a28411e.jpg

5919e267b5ae3_2017-05-1600_13_26.jpg.703a23c9e97f24efefc3fc8588c0b314.jpg

And here's what their Eggs Benedict and Brioche French Toast look like from the past:

5919e25dc4e07_HydeSeekBenedict-250b-2013-09-15.jpg.8dc1399392dac3d021ab4243b5da2abf.jpg

5919e25f6d7c7_HydeSeekBriocheFrenchToast-240b.jpg.dd0d77353c1eebcca7967ad23069e040.jpg

The thick cut bacon they use on both dishes is really a treat!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-11 at 4:46 PM, remobb said:

My home,

When can I come over for a free brekkie? Oh wait, you better be a chick, the one in your profile pic lol :P

Edited by bbi1

The Craft Cafe, right under BTS Phra Khanong, has a good and fairly original breakfast menu. The nearest to a traditional English, has a decent sausage, bacon, ham, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, fried egg and chips for 165 baht. Good coffee and other food too. Plus beer!

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The Craft Cafe, right under BTS Phra Khanong, has a good and fairly original breakfast menu. The nearest to a traditional English, has a decent sausage, bacon, ham, mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, fried egg and chips for 165 baht. Good coffee and other food too. Plus beer!

BB, is that CRAFT Cafe because they're offering CRAFT beers instead of the usual Thai slop?

Also, when you say "fairly original" breakfast menu, is there something "original" on offer there beyond the very un-original English breakfast entree you mention?

BB, is that CRAFT Cafe because they're offering CRAFT beers instead of the usual Thai slop?

Also, when you say "fairly original" breakfast menu, is there something "original" on offer there beyond the very un-original English breakfast entree you mention?

Yeah, the rest of the menu, including the breakfast options are not your average selection. I'm not a beer expert, especially for breakfast, but I believe they do have craft beers.

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I go to Craft Cafe often as they serve some excellent Northern Thai specialties.  While they do have a couple of "craft" bottled beers on their menu, craft beer is not their focus.

I agree with BB that their breakfast is excellent.

On 5/12/2017 at 0:32 PM, bkk6060 said:

Actually I eat a huge breakfast everyday and am not fat.  Many people have it reversed they have a coffee for breakfast then a big lunch and bigger dinner.  Dinner makes one fat, not a good breakfast. Many studies on this.  Read up on it.

[citation needed]

https://www.salon.com/2013/02/06/everything_you_think_you_know_about_breakfast_may_be_wrong_partner/

City Skyline or Chu Cafe would sort me most days.

I like Chu for their chocolate drinks and sandwich type eats mostly, maybe the eggs Benedict at a push. I might just have been unlucky but several times I've ordered other food there only to have it arrive tepid or just plain cold. The full breakfast was the same, couple that with awful tasting sausages and scrambled eggs of the 'would sir like one slice or two' variety and Chu doesn't feature much on my breakfast list. That said, I've not found anywhere in BKK yet that can do scrambled eggs without cremating them!!

Posted using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, SooKee said:

I like Chu for their chocolate drinks and sandwich type eats mostly, maybe the eggs Benedict at a push. I might just have been unlucky but several times I've ordered other food there only to have it arrive tepid or just plain cold. The full breakfast was the same, couple that with awful tasting sausages and scrambled eggs of the 'would sir like one slice or two' variety and Chu doesn't feature much on my breakfast list. That said, I've not found anywhere in BKK yet that can do scrambled eggs without cremating them!!

Posted using Tapatalk

Chu use Sloane's chorizo sausage in one of their egg brunch dishes which is very good indeed.

Best scrambled eggs in town is at Kuppadeli on Asoke. Almost running off the plate and covered with a sprinkle of proper Parmesan.