Where's the best/favourite breakfast in Bangkok?

Razzler1973

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

The baked beans are not even fried and not pinto beans either, many just open the can of baked beans and pour it on your plate--yeuck.

The Germans offer a better breakfasts than the English, I believe. The breads are better, nice home fried potatoes and good hunks of ham bacon, or porkchop and good coffee; none of that mouse-piss they call tea.  I prefer an American breakfast, with buttermilk biscuits (scones to some), sausage gravy, bacon, fried potatoes, eggs and coffee. Bourbon Street soi 63, Ekamai offers a good American breakfast; but so does The Tavern, soi 4 just down from Nana Plaza. 

Philestine. Beans are served warm with a breakfast fry up.

American breakfast - puke. American bacon is <deleted> compared to British or Danish bacon. Sausages are rank and the coffee often seems to double as gravy.  Biscuits - a lump of hot tasteless dough served with some off white sauce, looks as bad as it tastes. Now American steak and eggs, princely.

German breakfasts fine as long as you like bread, sliced meat, cheese, eggs and jams. Similar to the Dutch.

A real English breakfast, real bacon, decent sausage, fried eggs, black pudding, fried bread, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, (and a slice of haggis in Scotland), washed down with a cup of fine tea, a refined drink that most consider more healthy than coffee, followed by hot toast, butter and marmalade. Kippers and Kedigree are alternatives.

You've probably never had a real good one,

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

American breakfast - puke. American bacon is <deleted> compared to British or Danish bacon. Sausages are rank and the coffee often seems to double as gravy.  Biscuits - a lump of hot tasteless dough served with some off white sauce, looks as bad as it tastes. Now American steak and eggs, princely.

German breakfasts fine as long as you like bread, sliced meat, cheese, eggs and jams. Similar to the Dutch.

A real English breakfast, real bacon, decent sausage, fried eggs, black pudding, fried bread, baked beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, (and a slice of haggis in Scotland), washed down with a cup of fine tea, a refined drink that most consider more healthy than coffee, followed by hot toast, butter and marmalade. Kippers and Kedigree are alternatives.

Yes, I am aware of how many British restaurants there are where there are no Brits--somewhat akin to the European version of Filipino food. Brit sausage, like the cumberland, is more meal than meat. Please, haggis, any American scrapple is better. And, you heat the canned beans do you? I have rarely had a Brit breakfast where the beans were not just dumped from the can.  Cooked dried beans, as in the frijoles mentioned, or any of the varieties of butterbean, navy pea, great northern white, pinto, kidney or black beans are far superior to the canned beans the Brits use. 

4 hours ago, smotherb said:

Bourbon Street soi 63, Ekamai offers a good American breakfast; but so does The Tavern, soi 4 just down from Nana Plaza.

Agree with both the above to which I will add, The Coffee Club, at the corner of Ekkamai and Sukhumvit.  Rather expensive but excellent quality.

Dean & DeLuca in Ploen Chit has a nice breakfast served in a skillet.

Filipino (or Filipina) breakfast - at least for  farangs -can be brilliant. Trout fishing at -5c in Dullstroom at 0700, then coming back to a menagerie of fried corned beef, chillies, onions, tatties and a God knows what else in the pan (including, obviously, khao pad) plus two liters of Sedgewicks Old Brown Sherry. AFD. 

The 300 Baht Breakfast Buffet at the Monsoon in Soi 8 (Sukhumvit) is excellent.

The Kiwi down the road has a great choice. You pick and pay for each of the ingredients to your breakfast.

Further down Sukhumvit in Soi 23 the Taipan Hotel also a decent Buffet similar in price.

The Super Breakfast at The Old Dutch (cnr 23 and Cowboy) has remained the same for years - 3 eggs done your choice, leg ham and /or Pastrami, pork sausage, bacon, swiss cheese, toast and jam, bread bun, tea or coffee. 

Or, if you're on the run... a Cappucino at the McCafe at MACCA'S.

I've been told that the little place at the entrance to Sukhumvit MRT (down from Terminal 21) has great snacks. I've never gone in but it is always packed. Has the mini pizza's in the window.

One of these mornings I'm gonna get my body down to Patpong and try the Madrid Breakfast, if it's anything like their Pizza's I'll be happy. 

I never have lunch so a BIG Breakfast is important..  and all of the above are well under 400 Baht!

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

1,500 Baht You can't have things like that because the Scots are simply a bunch of tight <deleted>.

9 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

British  breakfasts are great and I've had plenty. However, American breakfasts are too, depending on what one orders. Buttermilk waffles, sausages, country biscuits, Eggs Benedict, grits with butter. I could go on and on.

19 hours ago, Bogbrush said:

My home serves up (in no particular order) 2 chopped garlic cloves, a nam soda with a teaspoon each of turmeric and ginger, a glass of coconut water, a bowl of mango and paw paw with 3 squirts of coconut oil, a tablespoon of linseed/chia and two tablespoons of Makro's plain yogurt.

This is probably why I don't go home much..

Sounds like a recipe for soap !

31 minutes ago, Leicamera said:

Soi 8, down about 1000m small hotel on left. forgot the name.

There's no hotel 1000m down Suk Soi 8 on the left that has a good breakfast. Soi 8 isn't even 1000m long end to end.

But, there are a couple places people have mentioned above -- Monsoon Cafe and the Kiwi Pub -- at the very top of the soi about 100+ meters from the main road that offer decent breakfasts, not great or the best, but decent.

The Monsoon Cafe's 300 baht buffet breakfast at the Adelphi Hotel is OK, decent for the price, but nothing to get wow'd over. But I've eaten there and I would go back again. And for a bargain breakfast, the Kiwi has a pick your own 7 items among their list for 199 baht, which is nice for those who like to choose their own items. Same, have tried it, and would go back again.

There are other IMHO better breakfast choices around. The newly opened Clinton Street Baking Company in the lower level of Siam Paragon has quite good American-style pancakes and french toast and other breakfast entrees. Dean & DeLuca at Central Embassy, EmQuartier and elsewhere also has pretty good pancakes and some other breakfast fare. Some people like the Bangkok Baking Co. cafe at the Marriott Hotel lower Sukhumvit. Crepes and Co. in Thong Lor also has some quite good breakfast entrees. There's also Roast at EmQuartier. And with a bit of a French style, there's the Tartine Cafe on Soi Ruamrudee. There's also supposed to be an American International House of Pancakes restaurant opening soon near Clinton St. in the lower level of Paragon, but last I checked, it hasn't opened yet.

Among the German places, I'd say the Bei Otto breakfast offerings on Suk Soi 20 are considerably better than the German beerhouse place a couple hundred meters into Suk Soi 11.

A lot depends on whether someone is looking for a BUFFET breakfast choice vs. a restaurant that serves individual breakfast entrees. The buffet choices are pretty much limited to the various hotels, and that is its own list of good and bad. And then there are the individual restaurant-entrees places, which likewise has a separate and different list of good to bad. Not much overlap between the two.

Lastly, in my book, any place that does NOT serve its hash browns in the form of the frozen, preformed hash brown patties you can buy at Makro, Villa and elsewhere.  That's an automatic disqualifier in my book (and I'm reminded of that by seeing the multiple photos above in this thread of people posting their breakfast photos with frozen hash brown patties!!!!)

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I recently very much enjoyed a Sunday Carvery (B450) at "Molly Malone's" on Soi Convent, Silom.

I looked at their menu and their breakfast offerings looked pretty good and were reasonably priced.  If the quality of the carvery offerings are any indication of of the breakfast quality, then probably worth trying.

48 minutes ago, JIMHILL said:

Breakfast is for fat people !

Actually I eat a huge breakfast everyday and am not fat.  Many people have it reversed they have a coffee for breakfast then a big lunch and bigger dinner.  Dinner makes one fat, not a good breakfast. Many studies on this.  Read up on it.

Edited by bkk6060

The best bang for the buck I think is Hanrahans Soi 4.  99b more then enough food.

I prefer Kiwi Soi 8 their "7 things breakfast".  199b.  Lots of choices on the 7 things.  The coffee is fresh brew so you can order 7 coffees if you had a long night.

44 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

The best bang for the buck I think is Hanrahans Soi 4.  99b more then enough food.

Is the Hanrahan's breakfast deal an English breakfast style thing with beans and grilled tomatoes and such, or an actual regular breakfast that other people would actually want to eat??? :tongue:

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You're fibbing!  The link you provided says their breakfast includes a grilled tomato but makes no mention of beans. Meanwhile, the accompanying photo shows a plate with a dollop of canned beans (but no tomato).

So it would seem it IS pretty much what I asked about above, being "an English breakfast style thing with beans and grilled tomatoes."

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You're fibbing!  The link you provided says their breakfast includes a grilled tomato but makes no mention of beans. Meanwhile, the accompanying photo shows a plate with a dollop of canned beans (but no tomato).

So it would seem it IS pretty much what I asked about above, being "an English breakfast style thing with beans and grilled tomatoes."

Yeah with eggs, bacon and sausage. Fibbing about what?  Typical trying to give some good advice and get complaints. They probably asked for no tomato.  What you want for 99b? I guess if you hate English style breakfast then go to McDonald's.

Not complaining at all. Appreciated your post. But I did finally get the answer to the question I had asked above:

Is the Hanrahan's breakfast deal an English breakfast style thing with beans and grilled tomatoes and such, or an actual regular breakfast that other people would actually want to eat??? :tongue:

Answer is, it's pretty much the former, and not the latter. :smile:

31 minutes ago, Lammbock said:

Nana Hotel on Soi 4 was always good. Haven't been there for a wile. Don't know the price.

Their buffet used to be around 250b last time I was there a year or two ago. OK, but nothing noteworthy.

If someone is going just for the food, then someplace like Monsoon Cafe and their buffet is a better meal.

19 hours ago, smotherb said:

Yes, I am aware of how many British restaurants there are where there are no Brits--somewhat akin to the European version of Filipino food. Brit sausage, like the cumberland, is more meal than meat. Please, haggis, any American scrapple is better. And, you heat the canned beans do you? I have rarely had a Brit breakfast where the beans were not just dumped from the can.  Cooked dried beans, as in the frijoles mentioned, or any of the varieties of butterbean, navy pea, great northern white, pinto, kidney or black beans are far superior to the canned beans the Brits use. 

You sir talk out of your rusty sheriff's badge, beans on thick toast with some extra mature English Cheddar thrown into the mix, or with Worcestershire Sauce or even some HP on top, chuck a fried egg on top of that lot, a meal fit for a king I can assure you :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

You sir talk out of your rusty sheriff's badge, beans on thick toast with some extra mature English Cheddar thrown into the mix, or with Worcestershire Sauce or even some HP on top, chuck a fried egg on top of that lot, a meal fit for a king I can assure you :thumbsup:

As I said, try your beans and cheese with some good dried beans cooked in beer, onion and ham hocks; then, you may see why the canned beans are yeuck.