Visa rules, can someone offer advice?

Hello

I am not sure when I can return to Thailand. I will try to explain and give info. Perhaps a reader can offer up a simple answer

I am UK passport holder

I am 50 on 18 july 2017

i departed on 15 Feb 2017. I has stayed since May 2016 and was staying on Ed Visa,

last ed visa is cancelled and out of date.

My question is 2 part

1. When can I return to Thailand? Is it 6 months from 15 Feb (15 August) or is it on my birthday 18 july? I want to stay on retirement visa.

2. Can I apply for 60 day tourist visa in another country now and then fly into BKK? It is acceptable to do because I had Ed visa before and was not staying as tourist?

Any feedback will be of help

I did email several Visa Agents who all gave me a 'copy and paste' guide to getting retirment visa with them, Not one touched on my detailled questions

Thank you for reading

hello there,

I don't understand why you have to wait 6 month or your 50th birthday.

you can apply for a tourist visa and enter Thailand or enter with a visa exception for 30 days and then extend it for another 30.

it's probably better for you to enter with the visa and extend it so you can prepare the paperworks for your retirement visa while you're in Thailand.

which one is the best nearby embassy or consulate for get a retirement visa I don't really know and I let who knows the right answer give it.

regards.

Inviato dal mio i-mobile IQ X Slim 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

1. Now if you wanted to. There is no restriction on you returning. There is no 6 month rule.

2. You can apply for another tourist visa anywhere you want to. If you are the UK now that would be the best place to apply for it.

You could enter now and start your preparations to apply for change of visa status on your 50th birthday to a non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during last 30 day of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. If using the 800k baht option the money would need to be in bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MekkOne said:

hello there,

I don't understand why you have to wait 6 month or your 50th birthday.

you can apply for a tourist visa and enter Thailand or enter with a visa exception for 30 days and then extend it for another 30.

it's probably better for you to enter with the visa and extend it so you can prepare the paperworks for your retirement visa while you're in Thailand.

which one is the best nearby embassy or consulate for get a retirement visa I don't really know and I let who knows the right answer give it.

regards.

Inviato dal mio i-mobile IQ X Slim 2 utilizzando Tapatalk

I understood (may well be by mistake) that I can only stay 6 months in any 12 month period on tourist visa

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Now if you wanted to. There is no restriction on you returning. There is no 6 month rule.

2. You can apply for another tourist visa anywhere you want to. If you are the UK now that would be the best place to apply for it.

You could enter now and start your preparations to apply for change of visa status on your 50th birthday to a non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration.

You will need 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

Then during last 30 day of the 90 day entry from the visa apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration. If using the 800k baht option the money would need to be in bank for 60 days on the date you apply.

Thank you Sir.

I thought there wa s 6 month rule. lol

I'll get my self to Laos for 60 dy visa

Thank you so much

Thank you Sir.

I'll get my self to Laos for 60 dy visa

Thank you so much

FYI in Sawannakhet a couple of days ago they were asking a bank statement for release a tourist visa, a couple of fellas were turned away because they didn't have it.

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, donttellemyourenamepike said:

I understood (may well be by mistake) that I can only stay 6 months in any 12 month period on tourist visa

No - its a common myth, boosted by some people immigration people saying it (especially those at airports) - though there was never any such rule regarding Tourist Visas.

1 hour ago, MekkOne said:

FYI in Sawannakhet a couple of days ago they were asking a bank statement for release a tourist visa, a couple of fellas were turned away because they didn't have it.

EDIT - Note - I mistook for Swampy Airport - response below was to that location - not to the Consulate at Savanahket, Laos, where you do need a bank statement

(At Entry Points)
It wasn't "bank statements" they wanted (unless something changed very recently).  People have tried to show plastic and bank-statements and were held in detention and forced to fly out - even though an ATM was just feet away where they could get the money; they were caught on a technicality.

There is a "real" rule that Immigration can ask to see 20K Baht worth of Cash or Travelers Checks for someone entering with a 60-day or 90-day Visa - or 10K Baht worth for a Visa-Exempt entry.  You should definitely be prepared with this.  Also have some proof of where you will be staying - at least for the first few days.  Your age should make them less likely to give you much trouble.

I echo what was said above - get the Tourist Visa in the UK if you are there.  They will not care at all about your old ED visa.  If you are not in the UK some consulates near Thailand will also work.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, donttellemyourenamepike said:

You are not the first person to be misled on this. There are some official looking websites that warn you about this fictitious rule. Frankly, you should be very careful when researching immigration rules in Thailand. One particular trap to look out for: do not trust what consular officials tell you ,except the rules for obtaining visas from them. They frequently have no idea about the procedures once you arrive in Thailand, but attempt to give you advice anyway. This site (especially @ubonjoe) is probably the most reliable source for up to date information on visas and extensions of stay. For anything that is not totally clear cut, verify what you think you know by coming here.

• Like 2

It wasn't "bank statements" they wanted (unless something changed very recently). 

Dear Jack,

I was right behind one of this fellas the morning of the 8th of May, and I did clearly ear the guy at the counter saying that to obtain a tourist visa at the Sawannakhet consulate they request a bank statement, said so the officer returned the paperworks to the young fella and he left the counter to sit in the first row of black plastic seats on the left of the line. We walked back to town together and he did confirmed that they requested for a bank statement.

Regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, MekkOne said:

Dear Jack,

I was right behind one of this fellas the morning of the 8th of May, and I did clearly ear the guy at the counter saying that to obtain a tourist visa at the Sawannakhet consulate they request a bank statement, said so the officer returned the paperworks to the young fella and he left the counter to sit in the first row of black plastic seats on the left of the line. We walked back to town together and he did confirmed that they requested for a bank statement.

You are 100% correct.  I mistook what you were referring to for Swampy Airport.  My BAD. 

At the Consulates you DO need a bank-statement, and Cash will not do.  You had it right.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to congratulate Pattaya Immigration on the great job they did for me yesterday.  My 'retirement' visa expires on Sunday.  I was serene about it until I found out soi 5 would be closed today (for the 2nd time this week.)  I rushed in at 4 pm and was processed from start to finish in SIX minutes.  Fantastic service.