Australian embassy site draws strong interest

webfact

Australian embassy site draws strong interest
By The Nation

b38700970db438712ea53c8df13d2277.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- JLL, the sole sales agent for the Australian Embassy site on Sathorn Road in Bangkok, reports that more than 10 parties have expressed interest in acquiring the property.

The firm is also expecting more parties to participate in the expression-of-interest (EOI) tender before it closes.

The site covering 7 rai, 382 square wah (11,295.5 square metres) has been put up for sale on a freehold basis by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade as the embassy will soon relocate to its new premises near Lumpini Park.

Suphin Mechuchep, managing director of JLL, said that not only listed and non-listed developers but also financial institutions and multinational companies looking for a prime site for new head offices have expressed interest.

All of these parties are well qualified to make a bid in terms of financial strength and reputation. The sales campaign for the embassy site commenced in March and the EOI tender will close next month.

“After the tender closes, there will be a number of processes following such as shortlisting, a sale and purchase agreement, security-deposit payment and due diligence. As a result, we expect the sale transaction to be completed in the final quarter of 2017 when the successful tenderer will be unveiled,” Suphin said.

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-12

33 minutes ago, Monkeyrobot said:

The new embassy looks like Ayers rock (uluru)

Link? I'd love to see the plans be it I'm still sad they're selling the existing site, it really is a nice embassy, particularly compared to other Aus embassies in SEA, KL for example is a concrete monstrosity. 

Does anyone remember when they were upstairs on Silom? First time I got a visa for a TG to go to Oz was in 1979 at the old Embassy on Silom. The visa was free and took 30 minutes to issue, from memory there wasn't any time restrictions on it either, we extended it a couple times OK in Perth.

24 minutes ago, Saan said:

A great location but an ugly building. It was also difficult for anyone with mobility issues to make their way from the gate to the building.

They do have a wheelchair available free at the security gate, i've used it. And lifts within the main building.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Brings the ultimate question: 'Why are they selling the existing site / facilities?'

Well, according to the very short article:

"The site covering 7 rai, 382 square wah (11,295.5 square metres) has been put up for sale on a freehold basis by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade as the embassy will soon relocate to its new premises near Lumpini Park."

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Brings the ultimate question: 'Why are they selling the existing site / facilities?'

Easy to answer that one. They need the money to maintain the budget on pollies travel and perks expenses.

Actually I have nothing to do with it, but I am relieved that others too find this new embassy stone ugly :whistling:

Must have been a "star architect" .

auembassy.jpg

But be assured, worse is possible :biggrin:

Swiss embassy Berlin, expansion building:

("star architect" of course)

98d94871c56bbe73.jpg