Beginners mistakes...

On 5/15/2017 at 7:45 AM, williamgeorgeallen said:

i loved living in thailand for 10 years. last thing is leave before you get sour. good luck.

After ten years, I got absolutely FED UP with all the B.S. in Thailand. Pulled up stakes, moved to Mexico.

I was back in Thailand six weeks later with a profound, new appreciation.

5 minutes ago, quandow said:

After ten years, I got absolutely FED UP with all the B.S. in Thailand. Pulled up stakes, moved to Mexico.

mexico must have been crap ...

3 hours ago, quandow said:

ha, i loved mexico when i first went there 20 years ago. i always wondered what it is like now. hard to beat thailand. i moved home to nz last year and i can handle it as i know it is only till the kids are through high school.

Remember "The Shawshank Redemption?" I moved to Zijuatanejo based on the movie AND a former friend who lives there. They BOTH lied. It's the most GAWD awful boring place in the world. If you want to do nothing but eat and stare at the beach, then it's your cup of tea, but I prefer to DO things.

Regarding the Mexico sub-text that's weaving in and out of the thread, you can't paint the whole country with the same broad brush.  I lived in Mérida for nine months and it was quite nice.  And, because it's off the Narco Trail, very safe.  Even the police were not corrupt.  (That's said in comparison to other parts of México.  The police are probably no more corrupt than any major First World police force.)  No beaches, so not for everybody, but I had a hard time deciding whether to stay there or return to Thailand.  It was pretty much a coin toss, and here I am!  I keep periodically revisiting the idea of moving to Mérida now that the Mexican Peso has dropped so much in value, but so far, inertia has kept me in Thailand.