Big Size Buddha Image

tri

Hello guys!
I'm looking for a place to buy a big size Buddha image for my meditation room (at least 150cm tall) .

Can you recommend any place for finding one for reasonable price?
Cheers!!

In Thailand, one does not "buy" a Buddha statue.  They are "rented".  See posts #6 and #7.  Also the info about an export permit.  Years ago I had to get permits and a seal or stamp for each of two new statues I brought back to the U.S.   

Do you know where Kaseems is in Warorot market? If so if you were exiting turn left and 25mts along there are 2 shops opposite each other that sell items that are typically donated at temples. The one on the same side as Kaseems sells Buddha images, no idea about the other, but can't guarantee 150cm but no doubt they would be able to give you an idea where to search.

I would like to respectfully suggest you consider the importance you appear to be placing on the "size" of your Phra Buddha Roob (image).

You might consider the fact that for several centuries after the death of the historical person (Siddhartha, Prince of the Sakyas) who became Gautama the Buddha,  no images of Him were made; visual references to Him first appear as an empty teaching-throne, the Wheel of Dhamma, the conch-shell, the ever-blooming flowerpot (purnagatha), etc.

The first images of the Buddha in "human form" that appear (roughly 2nd. century CE and on) are in Gandhara (in the Swat Valley of Pakistan); they were made by artists influenced by the Hellenic visual traditions brought by Alexander the Great's armies. These images look like long-haired and mustachioed Caucasians.

The evolution of the iconographic style associated with Buddha images of Northern Thailand is complex, and fascinating. Carol Stratton and her (deceased) colleague, Miriam McNair, published what imho is the definitive study of these wonderful images: "The Buddha Images of Northern Thailand"  ISBN 978-1932476095. Some comments on this book, and other sources that I made a life-time ago are here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/soc.culture.thai/tlUb90mfSUg/GV907U8DK1MJ

Your personal taste is to be respected, but, at the risk of sounding avuncular, I will dare say that a bit of study on your part may increase the good-feelings you'll have as you select, and then enjoy, or, are inspired by, your personal image of the Buddha. 

cheers, ~o:37;

p.s. Khun Damrongsak is absolutely right: the Thai secular words for 'buy' and 'sell' are avoided in transactions around Buddha images: chao (rent) is used.

Edited by orang37
time-travell

16 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Recently, at immigration at the airport in Bangkok, you see this sign:

5919ac2f37a1d_Buddhaimagewarning.png.bebcae17927bfdc3e1059993cd57c2ca.png

So maybe having a Buddha statue isn't a wise thing in the first place. 

The OP clearly stated he wants it for religious / meditation purposes, not merchandise or decoration.

And secondly, Thailand fortunately doesn't have religious police coming knocking on doors, yet.

And thirdly, those people could just as easily approach the Thais making and selling Buddha imagery that's clearly decorative, yet they appear to enjoy  billboards in English, Chinese and Russian.    Clearly that floats their boat, but no need to bug the esteemed TV readership with their hobby.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The OP clearly stated he wants it for religious / meditation purposes, not merchandise or decoration.

I'm looking for a place to buy a big size Buddha image for my meditation room

Sounds like decoration to me.

Unless he's turning his room into a working temple, meditation does not require or even advise having a statute of anything. 

Yes, but I'm psychic and I sensed what he meant. :)  ( He has a 'Buddha room' in his house with a bunch of little altar tables and assorted religious imagery.  Lots of Thai people have a dedicated room for that.   It looks like this:

timthumb.jpg.c11b969f80caf639b03c3aa688833096.jpg

So that's a legitimate use for a Buddha image. )

According to the Buddha it's wrong to worship anything in his likeness.

Please let us know when you're done informing all the temples around town. :)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai