Video: Drivers lucky to be alive after high speed crash on the expressway

webfact

7 hours ago, kkerry said:

Thought for a moment this was going to be two cars I saw on the tollway outside DMK Saturday. Red plated white car traveling 30cm behind another car at 140kph in my estimate, middle of the two outside lanes, almost hitting a car driving at the speed limit in the middle lane.

Trouble in Thailand is you almost never see a police highway patrol car other than parked on the side of the road while the driver is nowhere to be seen.

I was thinking CCTV is the answer just like the UK use, but then I remembered CCTV does not work too well here due to? is it the weather.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, seajae said:

white car is totally at fault, not keeping a safe breaking distance and failing to control the car. These idiots have no idea how to drive let alone know how to do it safely,  its all ego and face for them, pity the police are too pathetic to actually throw these morons in jail,issue huge fines and remove drivers licences(if they even have them, seizing the vehicles would also be a good idea. The again all that would requite the police to actually do their jobs, something they also refuse to do, if there was a consistent police presence on the roads this sort of thing would eventually disappear

Yup but they're getting drones and that will solve everything! NOT. It will just make them more incompetent and lazy :post-4641-1156693976:

No claims of brake failure this time? But, then again, we all know it is brain failure! :whistling:

I use the 7 motorway regularly, and still can't decide whether it's safer to stick to the middle lane, at a steady 100/120 kph, and risk being the car in the video, or use the outside lane at a brisker pace and only have one under-taking lane to worry about. The inside lane is not really an option due to the trucks. I do miss the sensible 'stay left' rule on British motorways.

7 hours ago, swissbie said:

I disagree with your comment, most Thai drivers i know drive quiet reasonable, at least as long they are sober. There are some crazy drivers, but please don't generalize it to all Thai drivers, that's about the same as a foreign couple is f...ing at the beach or on a tuk-tuk, some, but surely not all Thais will say that all foreigners are sex-addicts.

I have covered almost 100,000km on Thai roads and my experience is the same

but I drive with extreme caution and still find it a pleasant experience, anyone I don't want to be sharing the road with is either left well in front of me or well behind me.....and it really is up to me how that works

12 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And I always allow them to do so. I loose nothing, but I feel that bit safer with the knowledge that some  impatient numbskull is in front of me where he is less liable to do me any harm.

You need a dashcam, just in case traffic comes to a stop as they cut in front - you'd be blamed if you can't prove they cut in front.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I drove back from Sattahip yesterday... the roads were nice and quiet, comfortable for most of the way. 99% of the vehicles drove well, courteously... But there were a couple of busier 'patches' which brought out a couple of idiots...  You can see them coming up in the rear view mirror and they weave across the lanes at speed, taking chances, putting others in danger...    

... the main issues with driving on Thailands motorways is that it takes just one idiot to create such a dangerous situation.

--------

With this incident - The Black Car 'may' have been traveling too fast. But the Silver car caused the accident 100%... regardless of whether or not the black car 'showed his brakes' the silver car was simply too close... its just a shame the idiot driving the silver car also took out an innocent party. 

I dont  know if mentioned but I drove up from Hua  Hin Friday morning , the roads were wet and also someone had spilt a serious amount of diesel on the road (no.4 hua hin cha am), I passed 15 cars in separate  places in the ditches, I tried to warn the other <deleted> on the road by putting on hazards and driving on the centre white  line but still they all sailed past oblivious, you could smell the diesel and this was over a 10km stretch......not a  cop car in site, surprised it wasnt in the news to be honest.

Same as driving on ice.....they sailed past and then i watched them fishtail there way into the ditches

4 hours ago, wprime said:

You need a dashcam, just in case traffic comes to a stop as they cut in front - you'd be blamed if you can't prove they cut in front.

I do have a dashcam, but if I run into someone's rear it is my fault whether they cut in or not!

12 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Yup but they're getting drones and that will solve everything! NOT. It will just make them more incompetent and lazy :post-4641-1156693976:

No claims of brake failure this time? But, then again, we all know it is brain failure! :whistling:

It would be safe to say that brain failure accounts for the majority of accidents, followed by heavy vehicle downhill brake failure which is really a polite way of  covering up for brain failure. 

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I do have a dashcam, but if I run into someone's rear it is my fault whether they cut in or not!

I know that's the case in some jurisdictions, but that's not so in Thailand. If the front vehicle cut in front (and you can prove it) they will have some liability (as long as you're not doing anything illegal that contributed to it like excessive speeding), if you hit them on the side then they'll usually be 100% at fault.

Insurers will typically pick the most obvious solution however but you can go to the police station to clear it up.

10 minutes ago, wprime said:

I know that's the case in some jurisdictions, but that's not so in Thailand. If the front vehicle cut in front (and you can prove it) they will have some liability (as long as you're not doing anything illegal that contributed to it like excessive speeding), if you hit them on the side then they'll usually be 100% at fault.

Insurers will typically pick the most obvious solution however but you can go to the police station to clear it up.

If one is driving sensibly and defensively, such scenarios should not occur. If a driver wishes to cut in front of me and they often do, they will find plenty of space to do so safely. I then simply drop back into my usual position about 5 to 10 vehicle lengths behind.

I regard 'patience' as being one of the key attributes of safe driving. Something that, as we all know, many people lack in this country.

Edited by Moonlover

41 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

If one is driving sensibly and defensively, such scenarios should not occur. If a driver wishes to cut in front of me and they often do, they will find plenty of space to do so safely. I then simply drop back into my usual position about 5 to 10 vehicle lengths behind.

I regard 'patience' as being one of the key attributes of safe driving. Something that, as we all know, many people lack in this country.

This made me laugh. This is someone who doesn't drive around Bangkok too often.

Maybe there is plenty of space to cut in front of you safely. Somchai be sure to take advantage of this every time the traffic slows him down. However, as it won't be his fault if you hit him in the rear, it doesn't mean that he'll give you more than 1 metre distance off his rear bumper - he has an old truck, so any insurance payout would be a great bonus.

Remember, if it's a 1,000,000:1 chance, that means it's happening every day in Bangkok.

Edited by ben2talk

40 minutes ago, wprime said:

If the front vehicle cut in front (and you can prove it) they will have some liability (as long as you're not doing anything illegal that contributed to it like excessive speeding), if you hit them on the side then they'll usually be 100% at fault.

Difficult - if you're 'speeding' then how can they cut in front of you if they weren't speeding even more? Then we'll see you overtaking them inside just before they turn across in front of you without looking.... You're at wrong for overtaking on the inside.

If you're going slower than they are, they must deliberately pull in leaving less than a car-length and brake. If brake lights show on the video, it's clear. If brake lights don't show they the're not working and the vehicle ahead is liable.

I'm not aware of 'illegality' playing a part to be honest... it's more a game with the insurers scrapping it out with each other, or trying to recover money from uninsured drivers after paying out.

16 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

This made me laugh. This is someone who clearly never drove in Thailand.

Oh really. That's a bit of an assumption my friend.

I have driven many miles in Thailand both in a car and on a motorcycle and I have also driven many miles in Saudi Arabia, Egypt and India. I can assure you that they are all as bad as driving in Thailand, in fact India is an absolute nightmare by comparison.  And I survived them all unscathed.

So less of the assumptions please.

Edited by Moonlover

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Difficult - if you're 'speeding' then how can they cut in front of you if they weren't speeding even more? Then we'll see you overtaking them inside just before they turn across in front of you without looking.... You're at wrong for overtaking on the inside.

If you're going slower than they are, they must deliberately pull in leaving less than a car-length and brake. If brake lights show on the video, it's clear. If brake lights don't show they the're not working and the vehicle ahead is liable.

I'm not aware of 'illegality' playing a part to be honest... it's more a game with the insurers scrapping it out with each other, or trying to recover money from uninsured drivers after paying out.

Of course they can cut in front if they are at a slower speed - they do it all the time. It's illegal to change lanes without giving away to vehicles already in the lane.

Can't believe some of the Thai comments on this one, discussing  who is "wrong" in this case.

THEY'RE BOTH WRONG!!

Both drivers need to go to jail for this. They wont of course, no one will get more than a slap on the wrist but hey, wouldn't it be nice to see.

On ‎15‎/‎5‎/‎2560 at 11:18 AM, worgeordie said:

"the car racing behind the leading black vehicle blamed the one in front for braking"

you are supposed to leave enough space between vehicles to be able to brake safely,

maybe a novel idea for drivers here.

regards worgeordie

The car behind was at fault 100% and should be banned for life for driving like a maniac.

He hit the black car then the other car while trying to find a space to overtake. Idiot.

8 hours ago, kannot said:

I dont  know if mentioned but I drove up from Hua  Hin Friday morning , the roads were wet and also someone had spilt a serious amount of diesel on the road (no.4 hua hin cha am), I passed 15 cars in separate  places in the ditches, I tried to warn the other <deleted> on the road by putting on hazards and driving on the centre white  line but still they all sailed past oblivious, you could smell the diesel and this was over a 10km stretch......not a  cop car in site, surprised it wasnt in the news to be honest.

Same as driving on ice.....they sailed past and then i watched them fishtail there way into the ditches

What can you say to that ??...  So many other drivers probably thought, what's this idiot doing? centre line with his hazard lights on... we know he's going straight on !!!!.... 

There are so many avoidable factors which lead to serious accidents in Thailand... IMO the greatest factor is poor driver education, followed by a handful of what I can only describe as dangerously stupid and aggressive drivers. 

1 hour ago, Captain Jack said:

Can't believe some of the Thai comments on this one, discussing  who is "wrong" in this case.

THEY'RE BOTH WRONG!!

Both drivers need to go to jail for this. They wont of course, no one will get more than a slap on the wrist but hey, wouldn't it be nice to see.

Why BOTH ??....  the driver of the first car was simply in the outside lane....  He's well within his rights to touch is breaks, especially if passing another vehicle, which is also passing another vehicle and may give a little extra birth potentially drifting in to your (right most) lane.... 

Without knowing what was occurring earlier. i.e. were they both racing?... All I can see on the video is that the Silver car was purely to blame. 

On 5/15/2017 at 11:18 AM, worgeordie said:

"the car racing behind the leading black vehicle blamed the one in front for braking"

Yes, though in Thailand it's always someone else's fault, never their own.

Pathetic social trait. 

They should film the next Fast & Furious movie in Thailand. They don't need actors to drive the cars , just put any Thai in front of the wheels, and Action!

1 hour ago, Captain Jack said:

THEY'RE BOTH WRONG!!

Dont be surprised, they havent got a clue.

Is overtaking on the inside lane (undertaking) illegal in Thailand?

45 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is overtaking on the inside lane (undertaking) illegal in Thailand?

Lolz. I've seen police do it, so it must be good. Certainly it is not wrong to drive under the speed limit in the right lanes when there's faster traffic behind you and nothing on your left...

Legality isn't an issue - there aren't any active traffic police.

3 hours ago, wprime said:

Of course they can cut in front if they are at a slower speed - they do it all the time. It's illegal to change lanes without giving away to vehicles already in the lane.

Okay - impressive. So you're driving at 120km/h and approach a car at 100 on your right - he can change to your lane in front of you AND give way to you? How does that work? Surely he should let you go past first... Surely he shouldn't be driving slowly in the right lanes if the left lanes are free...