Time spent outside U.K.

My cousin lived in Thailand for around 4 years,after being back in the U.K. for 6 months he fell ill and applied for P.I.P.(D.L.A replacement) he was refused because he had been outside the U.K. for more than a month.How could they know?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Boarder Agency.. Quite rightly he was refused,  just becasue you have paid some tax for services already rendered why expect to get the service again for free.  Try it with your house insurance and see where you get.

Edited by Thongkorn
52 minutes ago, i claudius said:

I take it he was a British citezen who had worked and paid in all his life , next time tell him to jump off the back of a lorry in Dover and claim asylum , then he gets it all .

When he jumps tell him not to forget his 4 wives and 20 children!

13 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Try Boarder Agency.. Quite rightly he was refused,  just becasue you have paid some tax for services already rendered why expect to get the service again for free.  Try it with your house insurance and see where you get.

House insurance  ?

14 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

There are many people/families who have never paid a penny in taxes ever!

Because they are resident why should they be entitled when a tax paying expat is refused?

<deleted>

37 minutes ago, Fulwell53 said:

There are many people/families who have never paid a penny in taxes ever!

Because they are resident why should they be entitled when a tax paying expat is refused?

I agree 

I pay tax in the UK. Does that not entitle me to A&E at the very least?

"splodger

My cousin lived in Thailand for around 4 years,after being back in the U.K. for 6 months he fell ill and applied for P.I.P.(D.L.A replacement) he was refused because he had been outside the U.K. for more than a month.How could they know?

Thanks in advance"

Not enough info to give a satisfactory answer, i.e. what was the illness, age, UK status to name a few. They knew because the Border agency tells them, I know from experience living in Thailand and having been contacted by UK agencies, with no problem. With the new regulations if I return to UK I receive free medical treatment. So there is more to this than meets the eye.

There was talk of the them asking for your Psssport but as Mr Corbyn pointed out not everyone in the UK has a Passport.

On my last visit to the hospital I was asked if I had been Resident in the UK for the previous 6 months.

i am Resident according to the HMRC, I own a property and spend more than 30 days in the UK.

The NHS will never refuse anyone emergency treatment but if you are Non Resident they will bill you the cost plus 50%.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

DWP & HMRC (Border agency) are all linked together now and can access ALL information.

They might be linked but the UK Border Agency don't record as far as I know rwhen you arrive and leave the UK.

The electronic info which they check is only to see if the info on you Passport matches it.

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

i still pay UK taxes on my pension and property rental and would not get treatment if i went back and that is unfair, about time this was challenged in court

15 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Don't be ridiculous. Do you really suppose that economic immigrants, illegal immigrants, refugees, et al, plus those legal residents who have a long way to go before they have paid in full contributions, should get priority over someone who has paid in a full lifetime's contributions, as many have? This is just government finding easy, but logically inexplicable, ways to balance some part of their dubious books.

37 minutes ago, jamie2009 said:

There was talk of the them asking for your Psssport but as Mr Corbyn pointed out not everyone in the UK has a Passport.

On my last visit to the hospital I was asked if I had been Resident in the UK for the previous 6 months.

i am Resident according to the HMRC, I own a property and spend more than 30 days in the UK.

The NHS will never refuse anyone emergency treatment but if you are Non Resident they will bill you the cost plus 50%.

Thanks for the above clarification which is the position as far as I understand.

There are posters on this site who believe that as long as you hold a U.K. passport you can return at any time and obtain free treatment notwithstanding the length of absence one recently claimed it was available to Thai visitors which is a nonsense

As you rightly state the NHS will not refuse treatment to anyone but you are then expected to pay

There are reciprocal agreements with a number of countries such as Australia whereby you can receive  "emergency treatment" for free but have never seen it defined

What happens if you've paid your National Insurance every year to the UK since you've lived in Thailand and have medical condition (for example batteries replacing in pacemaker)? Are you still refused the operation? 

Any useful answers much appreciated 

Edited by phil2407
U.K.

so what is the difference after working all my life, i come here  to live for a decent lifestyle better weather, not paying  90 percent of my pension on rent, council tax and heating, this is what i would be doing in the UK. so the british government is now dictating to me where i live, (well they wont) still paying the same taxation whether i live in the UK or Thailand, so what is it to them  where i live.

20 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

He should have told them he was an illegal immigrant, with mother, father, brothers,sisters, wife and ten kids that the taxpayer was supporting. Course, he'd have had to use an interpreter.

I don't know about illegal immigrants but recently watched a documentary from the U.K. dealing with this issue where it clearly stated that asylum seekers are entitled to

free hospital/medical treatment

1 hour ago, yardrunner said:

i still pay UK taxes on my pension and property rental and would not get treatment if i went back and that is unfair, about time this was challenged in court

You will get free treatment at point of entry, the NHS cannot turn a British Citizen away, or any other Nationality, come to that thats the problem .

Are you sure? The UK Data Protection Act forbids the sharing of such info UNLESS there is criminal activity involved.

You mean like living over seas for years but keeping a uk address eg say your brothers then expecting free medical cover when you pop back  :) :) :)

Or still expecting to get a Gov pension when you do not even live there for years. I hope they upgrade there comp systems and really go for it

Edited by whiteman