Time spent outside U.K.

And an over riding rule is:

Citizens who return to the UK on a settled basis will be classed as ordinarily resident, and will be eligible for free NHS care immediately.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations/summary-of-changes-made-to-the-way-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

How settled is "settled"?

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well when I went back to the UK a 3 years ago, I registered with a doctor, opened a bank account and just stated the fact that I had returned to stay.  I had a short stay in hospital after a month with no problem.  I was able to draw some small benefits that I was entitled to.  At the time, I did intend to stay but after 6 months, I missed my life back here and returned.

22 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Here is the link again  https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/conditions-for-processing/

If we look at the example quoted it is clear that a company can pass on personal data to a third party so long as there is a legitimate aim, fair and lawfull

'

Example

A finance company is unable to locate a customer who has stopped making payments under a hire purchase agreement. The customer has moved house without notifying the finance company of his new address. The finance company engages a debt collection agency to find the customer and seek repayment of the debt. It discloses the customer’s personal data to the agency for this purpose. Although the customer has not consented to this disclosure, it is made for the purposes of the finance company’s legitimate interests – ie to recover the debt.

Your example perfectly illustrates my point: the customer is in breach of contract I.e. he has broken the law - in this case the law of contract and most certainly a clause in the HP agreement will say specifically that the finance company has the legal right to engage a debt collection agency in the case of default and that personal data may be shared for this express purpose.

My dictionary defines processing and sharing as having quite distinct meanings as does the Data Protection  act.

In any event this is now going fairly Off topic so I will drop out of this thread and leave it to others to decide if they will be covered by the NHS or entitled to other social benefits after a period of absence from the UK - no matter how long that might have been.

In my not so humble opinion there shouldn't normally be any difficulty as explained by others especially applicable to those of us of pensionable age who are British citizens.

Enjoy! 

hooray, i am qualified, i am a missionary working overseas, preaching to these bar girls the error of their ways , sad to report i am failing miserably, but am doubling my efforts.. just need a name and some headed note paper

8 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

hooray, i am qualified, i am a missionary working overseas, preaching to these bar girls the error of their ways , sad to report i am failing miserably, but am doubling my efforts.. just need a name and some headed note paper

And cut up your ATM card.  :biggrin: