Spray on heat insulation under roof tiles - good or...

scorecard

On 5/16/2017 at 0:27 PM, williamgeorgeallen said:

i hear of it being sprayed under tiles and it lifting the tiles as it expanded causing leaks. i would just go for a good layer of pink bats ontop of the plasterboard. might even be good to put 2 layers.  only costs about 10 000thb per room so should be a cheaper option as well.

Dine that never again.  Leak after leak after leak. What we saved in lower thermal gain we spent on repairing the damage due to leaks.  After the 7th time the i staller returned fir further remedial works I had haf enough. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thank you all for your interesting contributions. 

3 new and, perhaps, interesting innovations that  could help us in achieving a cool roof. I quote the abstract. Feel free to click the links for more info.

Team develops thin foam that keeps vehicles, buildings cooler, quieter

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161123090705.htm

From Singapore, here is the idea:

A new material that will make vehicles and buildings cooler and quieter compared to current insulation materials in the market has now been developed by researchers. Known as aerogel composites, this new foam insulates against heat 2.6 times better than conventional insulation foam.

This one should available this year and since it is from Singapore, it should be available in Thailand quickly, I would think. I wonder if anyone has seen this material. It is supposed to be available this year.

Also, from Germany, here is the pitch:

Ceiling panel cools regardless of climate

Poorly maintained air conditioning systems cause mold or other bacteria to spread; they often also generate drafts and are costly to operate. An alternative technology that uses ceiling panels covered in special heat-conducting film operates well below the dew point. The system offers hygienic cooling even in tropical climates, and uses up to 70 percent less energy.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161202074848.htm

This last one, I am a bit more skeptical, but they do quote some figures. Maybe some engineers can help us compare those figures with other reflective materials (that many have talked about in this thread).

The pitch:

New engineered material can cool roofs, structures with zero energy consumption

Engineers have developed a scalable manufactured metamaterial -- an engineered material with extraordinary properties not found in nature -- to act as a kind of air conditioning system for structures. It has the ability to cool objects even under direct sunlight with zero energy and water consumption.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170209142708.htm

1 hour ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

Ceiling panel cools regardless of climate

so are they going to be able to make ice as a real open sky can do in the middle of deserts like in Saudi? It also doesn't explain where it dissipates the heat to, I presume it's above the panel which would work ok in my house with vented eaves but in commercial buildings with concrete floors/ceilings?.

Fraunhoffer the inventors of mp3 digital audio format who shot themselves in the foot when they licensed that format and lossless free audio encoding occurred from so many places. Off topic have a look what university professors Theile & Small did for loudspeakers  with their aptly named Theile & Small parameters which revolutionised live sound and they gave away the results for free, could have been billionaires. 

Archived