"Pattaya's last wetlands" now just a filthy dumping ground

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

PATTAYA: -- One of the last areas of wetlands in Pattaya is now just a filthy dumping ground of floating and discarded trash.

Most of the exotic and rare species of waterfowl who used to inhabit the area behind Wat Chong Lom have now moved out as encroachers have put up their shacks, reported TNews.

Those birds and small aquatic mammals that remain are forced to share the space with rubbish tossed out by the locals.

And much of the water in the klong area is now so filthy that it is simply devoid of life - except the human life that is polluting the place.

TNews said it was a great shame as the area used to be teeming with species.

They said that while environmental groups have done some work in the area this particular spot had been largely ignored and was now in a terrible state.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-05-16

A few weeks ago, I took a baht bus from the North Pattaya Bus Station. He took a back route out of the station bypassing N. Pattaya Rd.  We went past some large parcels of wooded, undeveloped land and I was amazed by the huge amounts of building debris and trash dumped everywhere, it really looked like a landfill.  

It's obvious contractors just dump building waste where ever they find a spot...no environmental enforcement whatsoever.

Drive with Bell bus to North Pattaya bus station.

Then be shuttled by a a mini van to your place.

What do you see right around the corner after leaving the bus station through a secret path:

PILES OF GARBAGE at roadside.

First impression of Pattaya on this route.

And not to forget: some abandoned concrete ruins.

Some months ago I took some "secret paths" from Jomtien 2nd rd towards Thappraya rd.

Wide areas of stunning garbage dumps, junk from construction/demolition sites.

When in Thailand just don't look to the backyard.

Always been so. I visited a GF's room in Pattaya way back in the 90s and the building was surrounded by garbage.

Samet was a rubbish tip end to end last time I visited- and that's a national park.

Visited a water fall outside a national park and it was a grotesque mess.

Why is this even worth giving a thread too?

Any area that is not under visible strict supervision in Pattaya area quickly becomes garbage dump. Word quickly spreads. I have been watching the dumping on secret path from Jomtien 2nd road now for months. Police would do nothing if called as no money in it. I do have some photos with license plates, but fat lot of good that would do... must repress urges to do some "extra judicial" solutions.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that while environmental groups have done some work in the area this particular spot had been largely ignored and was now in a terrible state.

Sorry no funds all spent on submarines and now self propelled artillery pieces. 

Needs a change of mindset. I see Thais tossing rubbish to the curb every day, they probably don't imagine that this is wrong. 7/11's don't help, giving plastic bags for every item bought, even when you say you don't want them

I've  noticed if a bag of garbage is dumped at the road-side,  soon this sole bag of garbage is added to. 24 hours later, this bag of garbage has multiplied 50 fold.

All down to "social-awareness", or lack of it.

Maybe proper education might help.

It s a shame that there are fewer wetlands near cities that have not been turned into convenien dumps

but that happens around the world an not just in Thailand.

I seen it in places in Canada and the USA as well

Geezer

In the US, and I'm sure in other countries as well, the consequences of debris dumping can be financially horrendous for property owners. 

I had a friend with undeveloped property in Massachusetts.  

Sometime during the '90's, somebody dumped a truckload of demolition debris on his land.  He reported it to the police which he later deeply regretted.  The town sent an environmental inspector and the debris turned out to be full of old asbestos pipe insulation.  This was at the height of asbestos paranoia and the town demanded he have it safely removed...all at his own expense.  Because of all bureaucratic regulations, such as workers in full coverage "space suits" and onsight showers, it cost him a fortune, almost $20,000 by the time he was done.

He then sold the land as quickly as he could because he knew, sure as s***, it would happen again.

The problem in the US is, environmental landfill regulations have made legal hazardous waste disposal so expensive, contractors, industries and even hospitals pay shady refuse haulers to make it go away.

Happens everywhere, not just Thailand.

Edited by dddave

6 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

I've  noticed if a bag of garbage is dumped at the road-side,  soon this sole bag of garbage is added to. 24 hours later, this bag of garbage has multiplied 50 fold.

All down to "social-awareness", or lack of it.

Maybe proper education might help.

herd mentality?

here's my two cents on this.

We have a new generation, a new breed of overweight, obese,glued to their phones, unaware of the world around,mute,uncaring, ignorant, lazy and selfish idiots.

This new breed of robots will trash the world faster than what any previous generation couldn't accomplish with wars.

As cruel as they were,at least the wars were the fruit of ideals, causes, changes, energy and revolutions.

It reminds me of this quote by Einstein.

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots"

Edited by pattayadude

12 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I always thought it was.

But I went to Birmingham the other day and asked myself if Thai's had taken over.

Almost as bad as patt

At least the locals don't spit chewing gum on the pavement in Pattaya. London pavements are covered in the vile stuff.

13 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

I always thought it was.

But I went to Birmingham the other day and asked myself if Thai's had taken over.

Almost as bad as patt

Yes laddie the world is being glossed over. It tries to project the best while hiding the worst. Its much like those artificial store restaurant fronts you see in North Korea. Life is indeed becoming an illusion at times. You really have to have the time and patience to bore into things to find the rotteness therein. Sadly the working man trying to survive today does not  have the time to do so. 

1 hour ago, pattayadude said:

here's my two cents on this.

We have a new generation, a new breed of overweight, obese,glued to their phones, unaware of the world around,mute,uncaring, ignorant, lazy and selfish idiots.

This new breed of robots will trash the world faster than what any previous generation couldn't accomplish with wars.

As cruel as they were,at least the wars were the fruit of ideals, causes, changes, energy and revolutions.

It reminds me of this quote by Einstein.

“I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots"

You got 80% of my attention and a like. The mention of wars makes my old body cringe. I am looking for a bullet proof vest but they do not come in my size and they are illegal here anyways. That's my 2 cents worth but I only have a dime do you make change??

Close to where I am two villages have a rubbish dump roughly in between. When the rubbish gets to about 2 metres high someone sets fire to it. Then everyone complains about rats and snakes in the farms. I passed along there today and because of the rain this month it had not been lit. Apart from looking awful it smelt terrible and builders had dumped their rubble there too.

It's not nice but there is little alternative for the villages. I've spoken to the village boss - as best I can - to try to get a rubbish wagon to come round once a week. So far so bad!! Nothing!

As westerners we are sometimes not slow in criticizing the Thais when their culture and habits seem strange and often stupid to us, but allowing Thailand to be a rubbish tip just depresses me. It's easy to point the finger (metaphorically) at Thais over this but I see top people at fault with this. This turning their towns and beautiful countryside into filthy dumps is worth us speaking up about.

We should all take some pics and send them to the appropriate government officials. And lobby the education boss to get 'love a clean Thailand' on the curriculum right from K1.

Chill pill time!!!!