Police Check

senoremac

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps someone could confirm but I was told that police would need a warrant naming the person in question, in order to carry out a urine test. I remember this was big news a while back when they stopped people in the street in BKK.

Also could be a big problem if you are on some sorts of antibiotics, painkillers etc.

I just returned to BKK after 10 days in CM. Police presence very strong in and outside of Moat area. Reminded me of the bad old days in BKK a few years ago. Up to a dozen officers set at random locations stopping every motorcycle, regardless. I was stopped 4 times in an hour's time one day. I had my Thai Licence, Helmet and registration so after questioning I was let go. Another time got nicked for 500 baht for not stopping in front of the white line at a red light? Did not see anyone giving urine tests. Plenty of tickets being written.

More personal cameras, wearable!

All police stops should be recorded.

All rode blocks should be recorded.

Many prescription drugs will produce a positive test.

Test containers should be sealed and certified. 

Buy a Mercedes- you never get stopped. 

Unfortunately everyone seems to forget- we are living under a military Government.

Presumably checking the tattoos was not to appreciate their artistic merit- but to check you did not have images of the Buddha on your biceps etc. 

What's to worry if you were doing nothing wrong- at least you did not get shot dead. 

2 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Meanwhile the red light runners increase every day, the 10 people in the back of a pick up truck continues as BIB go looking for 200 baht no helmet on motor scooter rider. TIT!

A bird in the hand is worth 8 riding in the back of a pickup trick. To much paperwork. 

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

I get stopped several times a week around the moat. Never have been asked any questions, though. I show my Thai driver's license and get waved on.

Did you have your guitar with you?? A little serenade per chance?

1 hour ago, peterb17 said:

Buy a Mercedes- you never get stopped. 

Unfortunately everyone seems to forget- we are living under a military Government.

Presumably checking the tattoos was not to appreciate their artistic merit- but to check you did not have images of the Buddha on your biceps etc. 

What's to worry if you were doing nothing wrong- at least you did not get shot dead. 

Usa's homeland security act trumps (pardon pun) every single human rights law on the books.

Land of the free???

12 minutes ago, Fulwell53 said:

Usa's homeland security act trumps (pardon pun) every single human rights law on the books.

Land of the free???

So true.  You ever watch those Border Patrol Checkpoint videos on Youtube?  Not on the border, just random in country checkpoints to detain American citizens and prevent them from driving down the highway in the "Land of the Free".   

The BIB's seem to be mostly checking if the registration on cars is current. Only stopped once on my scooter and asked for my driver's licence - no problem.

Their main source of income appears to be fining helmetless scooter riders.

I was fined 200 baht for not having the registration displayed on my Mercedes.I had the documentation to show it was current, but the actual window display card had not arrived from Bangkok. I guess they were fairly desperate for tea money.

I don't know what you guys are complaining about? Don't they do the same in US, U.K.,Aus ect . If you not wearing a helmet , unlicensed , drink driving or on drugs you should be fined. In those countries the fines are much heavier. And maybe cancelled licence or even jail. One day some drunk farang will run over you wife or kid and you will be on here complaining why they were allowed to drive in that condition . You can't have your cake and eat it , but I do agree the tattoo check was over the top, as for the urine they do in most western countries especially if your eye balls are popping out of your head and you are talking jiberish. 

2 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Maybe moved all the bangkok greedy mibs to CM ?

More likely that it is not a coincidence that the increase in road checkpoints coincided with the clampdown on the nightlife venues in Chiang Mai. No need to bring up BIB from Bangkok, just the local commanders replacing a lost source of revenue with a new source.

OP your post is just like a thai reporter.  You need to give more information. Where did this take place, what where you doing, on a bike, car or just walking down the street.  Why did they say you needed to take a urine test. 

I got stopped on sukhumvit, had to give a sample, while their back was turned I grabbed it off the table and legged it down Soi 11, they chased me and caught me,needless to say I  got charged then with taking the piss..

senoremac. You need to give more information as other posters have asked.

Was it day time or night time?

Had you been drinking? 

Standard police check point? They are quite common.

Do you have a more than usual rough look?

What specifically were they thinking you were on? 

What were you riding? type of bike. 

Where was it at? 

How did they make you do the pee test? In the open or? 

Don't just throw a TID BIT out as this is of interest for most people in CM. It is a matter of privacy and being picked on as I for one have been stopped and do not ever get this treatment. License and then get going.  

18 hours ago, boshidoson said:

I just returned to BKK after 10 days in CM. Police presence very strong in and outside of Moat area. Reminded me of the bad old days in BKK a few years ago. Up to a dozen officers set at random locations stopping every motorcycle, regardless. I was stopped 4 times in an hour's time one day. I had my Thai Licence, Helmet and registration so after questioning I was let go. Another time got nicked for 500 baht for not stopping in front of the white line at a red light? Did not see anyone giving urine tests. Plenty of tickets being written.

Their tea money was probably low for the month.

15 hours ago, cmsally said:

I would be very wary about urine tests, just look at this list of false positives !

False Positives

I will never do a urine test for any policeman. It is your right to refuse, but you have to be prepared to go to the police station to see the boss.

Never let them take your wallet, tell them that the boss man at the police station can check it, but most of all, always be polite, keep smiling. and don't show any anger.

13 hours ago, playyer said:

1.4  I may have this wrong, but on Stickmans page, in the lawyers column, only a few weeks ago. it said,

A lone policeman can stop and fine you if he sees you committing an offense. As far as I know, there are

not lone policemen at designated check points.