Phuket underpass to close for repairs

snoop1130

Phuket underpass to close for repairs

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1494930642_1-org.jpg

The Darasamut Underpass, in front of Central Festival Phuket, will close at 11pm tonight (May 16) so workers can carry out repairs. Photo; Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET:-- The Darasamut Underpass will close from 11pm tonight (May 16) until tomorrow morning while workers repair traffic signals, Phuket Highways Chief Papiwetwoottisak Sookkii has confirmed.

Both the northbound and southbound lanes through the underpass will be closed through the night while workers carry out repairs to the overhead electrical signs informing motorists which lanes are open to them.

“The underpass will be closed until the work has been completed,” Mr Papiwetwoottisak said.

“The work should be finished by about 7am. I apologise for any inconvenience during this time,” he added.

Mr Papiwetwoottisak also confirmed that the middle lane through the underpass will remain closed until further notice for safety reasons.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-underpass-to-close-for-repairs-62175.php#yzkE2hytZbP5OAHy.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-5-16

3 hours ago, makecoldplayhistory said:

A contraflow system? 

Very common. HTH

You should check what contraflow means.

It doesn't apply here.

And they have never used that center lane as a reversible system. It's been permanently two lanes north since opening.

The safety problem is that there is no space for lane dividers to separate the flows, a  recipe for disaster in a country where so many find it impossible to stay in one lane.

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You should check what contraflow means.

It doesn't apply here.

And they have never used that center lane as a reversible system. It's been permanently two lanes north since opening.

The safety problem is that there is no space for lane dividers to separate the flows, a  recipe for disaster in a country where so many find it impossible to stay in one lane.

Not true at all. Over the months that the tunnel has been in operation I have seen the lights on the center lane switch about depending in time of day. Typically morning center land north green, later in the day center lane south is green. I thought the contraflow worked well, although I still hugged the left lae as there is always some loon wants to go against the traffic light instruction.

7 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Not true at all. Over the months that the tunnel has been in operation I have seen the lights on the center lane switch about depending in time of day. Typically morning center land north green, later in the day center lane south is green. I thought the contraflow worked well, although I still hugged the left lae as there is always some loon wants to go against the traffic light instruction.

As a regular user I have to agree with OC, I have never seen the middle light green going South.

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

OK, I stand corrected. I had never seen it in any layout other than 2 north 1 south but will concede to someone who travels through there more often..

I stand by my statement about the meaning of contraflow. The correct term would be  reversible system.

"In transport engineering nomenclature, a counterflow lane or contraflow lane is a lane in which traffic flows in the opposite direction of the surrounding lanes." - Wiki

On 2017-5-17 at 1:22 PM, Old Croc said:

OK, I stand corrected. I had never seen it in any layout other than 2 north 1 south but will concede to someone who travels through there more often..

I stand by my statement about the meaning of contraflow. The correct term would be  reversible system.

"In transport engineering nomenclature, a counterflow lane or contraflow lane is a lane in which traffic flows in the opposite direction of the surrounding lanes." - Wiki

Well, we learn something new every day. Of course, often the thing we learn is of no significance!